How to make a gel seat

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always wanted to get a bit more comfort form the seat on my FZ6.
Sadly I don't have the funds to stretch to a Corbin. So a bit of DIY was called for.

You will need:
Gel pad
Scissors
Marker pen
Staple remover
Pliers
The wifes bread knife
Dremel with fine wire attachment.
Gaffer tape
Baking sheet
Stapler
Able assistant (6 year olds are best)

Remove seat and turn upside down on a clean work surface.
Remove staples from underside of seat. I had a wound staple remover from work which did the job.
s.jpg

2342.jpg

Peel the seat back to just past the hump.
I then marked the seat out using free hand and asked my assistant to shade the area to be cut.

2345.jpg

2343.jpg

Then I took the seat outside and used the Dremel to cut out the outline and removed some foam to allow me to get the bread knife in.

2346.jpg

2347.jpg

When using the knife I kept my hand on top of the foam I was cutting. This way I could guage the depth of the cut.
This gives you your rough cut

2349.jpg

I used my Dremel to smooth down the edges and shape the foam to get the right depth and good finish.
2350.jpg

Then I used the baking sheet to make a stencil of the shape I had cut.

2351.jpg

I stuck the stencil to my Gel mat with the gaffer tape.

2352.jpg

2353.jpg

Using scissors I cut around the stencil. I used the outside edge of the stencil to cut around. This ensured the Gel was not short.
I then placed and shaped the gel into the seat

2354.jpg

To finish this part of the build I then pulled the seat cover back

2355.jpg

As mentioned by a few people who have modded their seat. Don't staple the cover back until you have ridden with it.

I want to thank Shaggy for giving me this idea back in 2008.
CHEERS
Nelly

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is very similar to what I did and I love my seat. Here is how I did mine. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/36841-gel-seat-under-80-a.html#post393409
Well I wish I had seen your post before doing mine. I got my gel mat from an operating theater that had been closed down, so it cost nothing. I have had it in the shed for the last 3 years.
I would like to get hold of some of the blue Shocktec gear. It definitely finish the seat.
Good job yourself.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love it, how did you staple it back on? I am doing mine right now and am having a tough time with the staples.
Not yet buddy,
I want to have a ride with it before I staple it back on,
I am also thinking about putting some more padding in the crown jewels region.
It is comfy when sat on the bike though.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love it, how did you staple it back on? I am doing mine right now and am having a tough time with the staples.
I have brought a heavy duty staple gun. I am hoping very much that it will do the job.
Any pictures of your set conversion?

Nelly

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I have brought a heavy duty staple gun. I am hoping very much that it will do the job.

Nelly

Don't worry it will do the job. I replaced the cover on my CBRs seat a few years ago and used a heavy duty non-pneumatic staple gun. It took a while but it turned out decent and I never had a staple fall out. Sold the seat last year when I bought my solo tail but AFAIK the seats still in use. I used a ton of staples though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
This looks like a great mod!
One problem.. My assistants are both under 2.
In fact my main apprentice would rather ride his own bike...with bling...
Perhaps next year.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This looks like a great mod!
One problem.. My assistants are both under 2.
In fact my main apprentice would rather ride his own bike...with bling...
Perhaps next year.

Lol, I had mine in the making for three years, so next year is doable.
GOOD LUCK.
Nelly

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

Nelly

I know what you mean about the jewels, mine tend to fall asleep from time to time, I was actually thinking about scooping out a hollow in the seat where they rest.

Here is where the seat is at present:
picture.php

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So guys what is this gel material and how firm is it? I don't want a gel wedgie. . . :rolleyes:

Next would be the proper angle - the factory seat is angled as if not meant for Boyzzzzz! Me, I'm always having to scoot back especially when going down long hills. I like the overall seat height but would prefer to add some material to the front and shave a tad off the bum area. The goal being using the existing seat cover. Kinda like a liposuction job on the back I guess.

So, tell us anything about this gel and where it comes from, how to get, what its durommeter is etc.

Thanks!

jtarkany
At full rear suspension compression, how close is the fender and how much the suspension sag with you on it (leveling the seat). The point being maybe you could lower the rear of the seat so you're not sliding downhill towards the n u t crusher?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
jtarkany
At full rear suspension compression, how close is the fender and how much the suspension sag with you on it (leveling the seat). The point being maybe you could lower the rear of the seat so you're not sliding downhill towards the n u t crusher?

Good suggestion, at present I was setting the seat up exactly as it was, but dropping the back a bit might just do the job. Thank you :thumbup: