Oil Filter Wrench Solution

Shutter74

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, new member here, wanted to give you guys a round of applause for such an awesome community full of informative information and answers!

I just wanted to go ahead and share a solution that I hope will benefit everyone and keep stress at a minimum. I was tackling my first oil change, and as you all know the oil filters are a PAIN to remove. So i trekked on down to the local auto zone and picked up this oil filter wrench.

2012-02-13212544.jpg

OEM/65 to 67 mm. dia. oil filter "F" cap wrench (25404) | Oil Filter Wrench | AutoZone.com

There is the link.

All i had to do was place my bike on its side (VERY VERY GENTLY, and I had frame sliders so :rockon: ), i placed the linked oil filter cap on and gently tapped it with my 3/8" ratch to secure it on there, and went ahead and twisted and after some doing it came off. Hope this is of some help to everyone and again thanks for all the informative information on here! Ride Safe!

~K

P.S K&N Oil Filters are the bees knees :)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All i had to do was place my bike on its side
Wait - you put your bike on it's side to remove the oil filter?

WTF?

P.S K&N Oil Filters are the bees knees :)

No, no, no Mate - Purolator Pure One PL14620 - better filtration, better fine particle suppression and more filter medium than others as it's a bit longer.

(Reference)

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry but if your suggesting that to make it easier to change your oil you need to knock you bike over...(gently) that just took all the easy out of it and can cause more problems than just a tight oil filter, did you know these bikes have a tip over sensor? Most o the time they work right but can fail once tipped. The solution to your problem would be to lube the new oil filters gasket, make sure they have clean mating surfaces and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT, Go with your hands until snug then a 1/4 past with your wrench, that's pretty much all they need. Do this and your filters will come off easy every time!!!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry but if your suggesting that to make it easier to change your oil you need to knock you bike over...(gently) that just took all the easy out of it and can cause more problems than just a tight oil filter, did you know these bikes have a tip over sensor? Most o the time they work right but can fail once tipped. The solution to your problem would be to lube the new oil filters gasket, make sure they have clean mating surfaces and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT, Go with your hands until snug then a 1/4 past with your wrench, that's pretty much all they need. Do this and your filters will come off easy every time!!!

+1

In addition, a ratchet extension works a heck of a lot better, and is a heck of a lot SAFER than laying the bike down.

Holy crap.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One other suggestion when it comes to using this type of filter wrench. Even though it seems to fit well, it can still slip. Cut up old bicycle inner tube.. make a square (approximately 4"), place it over the end of the filter and then place the wrench on top and gently tap it on.. no slippage :thumbup:

n.e.mich

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to follow what the OP said.....................nope, still don't get it. Wonder if he flips his bike upside down to adjust the chian like we did to our bmx bikes as kids.......................

Also, how in the world have you never heard of an oil filter wrench?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool tool. Or you can just jam a large standard screwdriver through it.

I agree, I use K&N oil fliters too. I like the removal nut and it is already prepped for safety wire.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Channel locks, squeeze, then turn.

I wanna see pics of the bike laying down for an oil change though lol

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Still dont get why so many people place so much concern on installing and removing oil filters. When installing, I simply lube the rubber grommet and hand tighten. When its time for change I remove with my hand. If for some reason it is too tight to loosen by hand, I use an oil filter wrench. If an oil filter wrench is not applicable due to space constraints, I shove a screwdriver through the filter and torque it off.

It is that easy...right?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One other suggestion when it comes to using this type of filter wrench. Even though it seems to fit well, it can still slip. Cut up old bicycle inner tube.. make a square (approximately 4"), place it over the end of the filter and then place the wrench on top and gently tap it on.. no slippage :thumbup:

Good idea! I lined mine with duct tape last time.:spank:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I just attempted my first oil change and everything seem to be going well (except for the small mess I made). Then I try and remove the filter with the exact same tool I received today from amazon, and it slips. Guess the last owner over tightened it. Now this piece of junk tool slips every time I attempt to move it. Maybe I should lay my bike on it's side.... WTF????

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Still dont get why so many people place so much concern on installing and removing oil filters. When installing, I simply lube the rubber grommet and hand tighten. When its time for change I remove with my hand. If for some reason it is too tight to loosen by hand, I use an oil filter wrench. If an oil filter wrench is not applicable due to space constraints, I shove a screwdriver through the filter and torque it off.

It is that easy...right?
I was wondering this myself. Your method is exactly the same as mine has been for years on cars. As a new first-time owner of a bike, I'm hoping this method doesn't have to change.

I was always told the reason for lubing the gasket is because it swells once oiled and creates a solid seal. So remember, oil gasket, clean surfaces, hand tighten, and within several minutes, it will be more tight than you left it. Again, I'm hoping this will work for bikes.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering this myself. Your method is exactly the same as mine has been for years on cars. As a new first-time owner of a bike, I'm hoping this method doesn't have to change.

I was always told the reason for lubing the gasket is because it swells once oiled and creates a solid seal. So remember, oil gasket, clean surfaces, hand tighten, and within several minutes, it will be more tight than you left it. Again, I'm hoping this will work for bikes.

I been changing the oil in my car since HS, and I have applied the same method to my bike for the last few years since becoming an owner. Same methodology applies. You will have no issues.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I already own a screwdriver. No need for a wrench.

My filter has never came off easily with any filter I've tried except the purolators. They come off without any tools, but I usually punch them anyways so I don't have to touch that sticky chain lube that slings onto the filter.

I had a '93 f-150 that always kept the gasket when you removed the filter. If you didn't notice, you'd have 2 gaskets stacked and spray oil everywhere when you started it. I finally fixed it by polishing the mating surface with a whetstone.