Wales - Scotland ?

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I started planning out a trip to wales/scotland for this summer. My question to the people who did that tour or live there is where the places (nature/driving-wise) to see are. We have the general areas, (snowdonia in Wales, skye, loch ness,.. in Scotland) pinned down but i was looking into something more specific.

I would hate to miss something a nice view because our ignorance put us on the "boring road running parralel from it" ;)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great trip, already looking forward to the pics and the ride report :rockon:

never riden there but been there in the cage several times :thumbup:

Hopefully some other forum members will help you out with the Scottish part of the trip.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Wales- its like the best of the Scottish roads without the rain and the midges

Love your description !! I have lived in both and the roads are similar. A lot depends on how much time you have to spend. I have met too many people (usually Americans) who tell me that they "did" Scotland in 8 days !! For about 15 years our family vacations were spent touring round Scotland with a caravan/trailer and there's still parts of Scotland I haven't seen. For a short vacation (< 1 week) then Loch Ness/Skye etc is a good start. Take the road from Inverness down the north side of the loch and then across to Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye.

As far as Wales is concerned I lived in South Wales and can only comment on south and mid Wales, but the roads are superb. I used to drive up from South Wales to Scotland on a regular basis. From South Wales I'd head out through Carmarthen, Llandeilo, Llandovery then up over the hills through Llandrindod Wells, Newtown, Welshpool and then up. The roads are fantastic.

Oh and anyone that tells you it doesn't rain in Wales is Lying. Also if you learn only one phrase in Welsh for your trip learn this one "Twll dîn pob Sais". Ask a welsh man what it means !!

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
welsh roads are good, but be careful as the police are particularly zealous about enforcing speed limits there. It's pretty hard to find a bad road in wales though.

I've heard scotland is even better, but waterproofs are an essential item up there.

don't miss out on some nice rides though england on the way there too (e.g. the peak district, cumbria etc)

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
cheers guys !

callmegandh : just try it, see how far you get ;)

dolau: the site is really helpfull, thanks !

Cloggy: the 7D and gopro already have their trusted dedicated spot in my tankbag (they always do, just in case :p) ... just need to decide what lenses to take with me ;)

texcollect: nice, i'll take those in concideration when plotting out our route !

greg: all part of the adventure i guess ;)

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately to get to Scotland from Wales you will have to pass through at least part of Englandshire.

You can make the best of a bad situation by visiting the Lake District. My favourite roads in the Lake District are Hardknot and Wrynose passes. The scenery here is beautiful.

One thing to remember about traveling through the more rural parts of the UK is that in small towns the pub is the center of the universe. It's not just a drinking establishment, but the social center of the town and usually the best restaurant for miles.

If you need any further information of trips then head over to ADVrider and check out their ride reports forum where you can find stuff like this.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, we'll have to suffer through some parts of england but i'm sure we'll survive it somehow ;)

on that note. Day one (and part of day two) will be getting from Dover to Wales. Our plan is to cover that part quite fast, the only fixed point we have is stonehenge, but if anybody has any suggestions what the nicest (but still fast) roads are in that area, do tell!

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Spent a few days in Scottish highlands the other year, if its not raining the roads are excellent and the views incredible. A visit to the Glenfiddich distillery is a must. Also remember when you get into the highlands there are NO speed cameras at all :D

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if it is still the same, but when I live in Scotland (1962-1993) there were a couple of quirks to the law that may or MAY NOT still be in operation.

In the UK they don't give you a ticket, they send it to you. They can't send a ticket outside the UK therefore if you are not a UK resident they can't send a ticket to you !! If you rent a vehicle from a UK rental agency the ticket will go to them and they will then charge the fine against your credit card (or so they say).

There used to be a difference in the law between Scotland and (England and Wales) where a policeman couldn't give you a ticket without corroboration. What that means that unless he has radar, laser or another witness he can't give you a ticket (his word against yours and innocent until proven guilty).

As I said at the start of this post it's been a while since I left the UK so things might have changed. YMMV

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input Cloggy !!! :) i'm putting all those links in our google docs so that we have plenty of reading material when me and my friends have our next "meeting" ;) so feel free to keep 'em comming!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited: