Top Case or Two larger Sidecases???

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have two Givi e21 side cases, but have found them to run out of room from time to time. I am considering either going with a 38 liter top case along with the e21'a or getting 36 or 38 liter side cases to replace the e21's. Any thoughts? I'm worried about raising the center of gravity using a top case. On the other hand, what potential problems would cases 11 inches wide on either side pose?

mopardoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi When my wife had my FZ6 she put Givi PLX 35 side cases on it and a Coo case and never had any problems with handling just not a lot of weight in tp case i think 8LBS is all that is recomended.When I got the bike I took the top case off I think it looks better.Ill send a pic with this hope it helps.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Timely post, as right now I'm debating between a Shad 50 top case or the Shad 43 side cases. I can't afford both.

I'm leaning towards the side cases for looks and distribution of weight/turbulence.

Plus, they look awesome in blue to match the bike. Probably even adds 5hp per case to the faster blue model.

;)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I do notice more drag with the saddlebags. Especially when extended all the way (12" or so) I do like the top case on my 6R. I just recently got a set of E21, they're not too wide and look better in my opinion. Don't like my girl to have a fat a$$ lol

I did my own rack, I don't like the way the Givi rack look... I build my rack for a pennies in a dollar. Will be ready today around 3:00 from powder coat. I got one of those $90 Ebay Xlarge trunk... good enough for me, comes with the base mount also...

I'll post few pics when all installed later today...

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Get both. You wanna see dumb ;) i run two pelican 1550s as side cases and a GIVI topcase big enough for a full face helmet lol.

Sent from my iPhone

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Case:

+ Slimmer bike = better for lane splitting and otherwise fitting in tight spaces...perhaps also better aerodynamics

+ Back rest for passenger (this is HUGE for some people)

+ Only need one hand to carry it as you walk away

+ Option for integrating large rear brake light

- Weight is far back and high (I usually fill mine with my lightest items when camping etc.)

+ easier to wheelie

Side cases

+ better placement of the weight

+ may protect bike in low/no speed tip over

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
How wide are the v35's at the top? I know the specs say about 12 inches. I'm wondering if that is from the contoured bottom out or is that the width at the top of the case?

William

Reaction score
Visit site
How wide are the v35's at the top? I know the specs say about 12 inches. I'm wondering if that is from the contoured bottom out or is that the width at the top of the case?

Here's a photo of the V35s from the rear to give you a sense of how they fit. The countours make it difficult to get a good measurement, but the very top of the case itself is about 10 inches. From the outer edge of the top of the mount bracket to the outer edge of the case is about 11 inches.

1005.jpg

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pics of my set up. I like the E21 side case cause it doesn't make the rear end look too wide, and it's enough for what I need. Different bike but that might give you an idea a bit.

I had to throw a pic of my new CNC mirrors. I got the idea from one of you here, those are sick! Love them 100% No vibe, no elbow and absolutely well made (from a machinist point of view...):rockon: I install them right on the heavy bar end... sweet!

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like top cases. They look ugly in my opinion and I've seen two fall off while traveling at speed. Both were GIVI.

I prefer saddle bags for better weight distribution. You want to try and keep your center of gravity as low as possible. The thinner hard bags in the picture above are nice. I wouldn't count out soft luggage.

Some people might be concerned that the mufflers would burn the bags but those heat shields keep everything nice and cool!

IMG_1465.jpg

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the top case change the way the bike responds in any way. I'm wondering about center of gravity, catching wind gusts, top-heaviness, changes in cornering, etc...

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you don't load the top case down with 30 lbs of stuff it's all good. I usually put my lightest items up there like cold weather gear or rain gear and maybe a few heavier things I may need easy access to.

houseofbugs

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pics of my set up. I like the E21 side case cause it doesn't make the rear end look too wide, and it's enough for what I need. Different bike but that might give you an idea a bit.

I had to throw a pic of my new CNC mirrors. I got the idea from one of you here, those are sick! Love them 100% No vibe, no elbow and absolutely well made (from a machinist point of view...):rockon: I install them right on the heavy bar end... sweet!

Looks nice! What handguards are those?

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the top case change the way the bike responds in any way. I'm wondering about center of gravity, catching wind gusts, top-heaviness, changes in cornering, etc...

I have a coocase top case and haven't really noticed any changes in the way my bike responds for the most part. The only 2 ways I notice any difference is that it does give me crappier gas mileage and (although not recommended) it does affect my top end speed a little. FWIW.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have side soft bags that I like to use. I was wondering if anyone has trouble swinging their leg over the bike and kicking the top case? When I have a bag on the back seat for my touring mode I am not able to lift my leg that high and end up lifting my leg up over my seat. It looks kinda funny at times but once I'm in the saddle I'm good to go.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
After running Shad SH42 side cases I personally find 42L cases far too big and awkward for side cases - easy to bump things, clumsy, porky looking, etc. Can't really load them up because they get too heavy for the rack and mounting system in my opinion.

Depending what your needs are, at this time my preference leans toward a 25L ish utility box side case and whatever means necessary to hold the rest.

"utility box" suits me because of the function and durability factors and because in my world they are not for looking at.... :D

My 2c:thumbup: