Givi E41 Side Cases - Turbulence at high speeds?

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is equipped with a GIVI E55 top case. I want to add side cases, and I really prefer the larger E41 cases because they are more functional than the Givi V35 side cases. They are more functional because they are slightly larger than the Givi V35 side cases, and the best feature I like is the top keyless lid.

I have had two dealers recommend the V35 cases instead because they say there is less turbulence and that they look better. What looks good is subjective, so I am not concerned about that. However, I am wondering if anyone has noticed turbulence with either case, and if so, what speeds and/or conditions would create the turbulence. For example, I`m sure turbulence is not a concern for either case while city driving. Am I right? So, I’m guessing turbulence may become an issue while on the freeway? Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks for any inputs.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
officially they are probably only rated to 70 or 80mph anyway, my givi top box is ok up to at least 120, and cruising at 90+

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC they are "rated" for 88 mph or you travel back in time. Actually it's probably because 88mph coincides with about 140 KPH.

I've had hard luggage on a few bikes now and on my FJR which the manual states you shouldn't exceed 88 mph I've had that bike to 140 MPH across a desert road and you'd never know I was carrying enough gear for a two week trip lol :p

I've never experienced unusual turbulence issues with hard luggage.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a top box on my 6R and used saddlebags. I won't say the saddlebags create any turbulence, but they create huge amount of drags. This is why I settle for a set of E21 instead of E35. It's big enough for what I need to do. I'll go with a bigger top case later on...

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments, and I didn't know that there are speed limits on the cases either. Anyway, I have been doing some searching and found the following comments from the owner of the bike in the picture. His comments reiterate what has been said here, so I thought I would post it for informational purposes.

Owner:
"They are very nice, they add width to the bike though, and I know this sound mad but when I tested the setup in high speed it's perfectly fine up to 180 km/h however at around 200 km/h it makes the bike wobble slowly side to side. I know you're not supposed to do that but I just wanted to test it out.

Else they give you massive room for luggage, so for long tours they are great."

My New FZ6 Tour Kitted | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah drag does go up a fairly good amount and you will see a decline in fuel economy. I usually isn't had unless you have a stiff headwind though.