chain lube

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
this is probably a burned out topic. i use a chain wax on my chain, and i was talking to a guy who is really into powersports and he told me chain wax isnt good for O rings? and that i should use some product called rotella or something. any advice here? and i putting my life at risk by not using the correct lube? the guy at the yamaha dealer suggested the chain wax.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Chain Wax also, a few people on the forum recommended it. It's easy to use and I like how it's colored so you can see where you missed any. Pretty sure it doesn't hurt the O-rings.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my can of Maxima chain wax in front of me right now, it reads "chain wax chain and cable lube, fling resistant special paraffin base o-ring chain safe". I've used this for years with no problems on o-ring chains

W

wrightme43

this is probably a burned out topic. i use a chain wax on my chain, and i was talking to a guy who is really into powersports and he told me chain wax isnt good for O rings? and that i should use some product called rotella or something. any advice here? and i putting my life at risk by not using the correct lube? the guy at the yamaha dealer suggested the chain wax.

The dude is on crack. Smile and nod. LOL

Dupont Teflon lube rocks.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
The dude is on crack. Smile and nod. LOL

Dupont Teflon lube rocks.
I like Dupont Teflon because it keeps the chain looking clean but its all the same. the manual says to use motor oil if you want to get technical so anything with a higher lifespan and better lubricating properties (all that mentioned above) should be fine.

the dupont also cleans when it is applied (goes on as a liquid), which is what i like but if you take your bike to a shop for an oil change or tire change, make sure they dont put that wax/grease crap all over your purdy chain.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
who sells it in canada? ive havent had luck finding it in BC.
i have been using some other teflon product, but i question its effectiveness.....

i actually buy it from Lowe's in US,,an advantage of living in the border city ,, i can reach the nearest customs officer in 3 minutes from my home :D

the good thing is Lowe's started opening up stores in Canada,,,one home depot over here just moved to its new building not too far from the old one,,im hoping Lowe's to move in to the old home depot's building...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use PJ1. Apply lightly after cleaning with kerosene and let it get tacky then wipe off the excess.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Honda makes a nice clean chain lube, spray on, wipe with grunge brush, spray again wipe lightly with a rag.
Between the Honda chain lube and the Honda syn blend oil my Yamaha runs even faster!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a sacred ritual for lubing my motorcycle chain. Very artistic and personal.

Here's how it works:

You buy the cheapest, oldest, rustiest can of chain lube from an ACME dump store. Read the label. It should say O-Ring somewhere - use it.

You take a disgusting rag, preferably one from your old clothes. It adds more personal flare. You wet it with WD-40 and wipe the whole chain down; taking away the black excrement that may have grown on beforehand. If the rag starts to turn black, just spray another black section of it with more WD-40 and keep wiping the chain down. If your hands turn black like a gorilla; you're doing the job right. Don't spray the chain directly with WD-40!! If you ever do that, I'll be so mad...

Once the chain looks somewhat shiny, you take your chain lube and spray it on the INSIDE of the chain and immediately wipe it BEFORE it contacts the rear sprocket. Spray and wipe immediately afterward. Inside of the chain. Spray DEEP into the inside of the chain, right where all the connectors are. Spraying the sides of the chain is useless. WIPE IT before the wet chain contacts the rear sprocket, or else you'll end up with a chocolate sprocket.

You keep doing this until you're SURE you've covered the inside of the whole chain. Once done: DO IT AGAIN. Spray the inside of the chain, wipe it down right after. Your rag will start to look like a grease-ball. Grab another fresh one if you have to. Your chain will be very dry, yet heavily lubed at the same time.

When you've railed your chain twice, you can preen the chain with a dry and unsoaped SOS pad. I usually skip this phase because my chains are SOOO sparkly! My rear sprocket doesn't look like chocolate either.

Finally, you can guard the SIDES of your chain with rust-proofer, but I also skip this phase because my chains are so clean and lubed.

Last edited:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
OK emergency question. I was getting my bike ready for a 1000 mile trip this week, stopped at Lowes and picked up the first thing a saw that said DuPont Teflon Lubricant. Now that i've already cleaned my chain off and sprayed it on, i realize I got DuPont™ Teflon™ Silicone Lubricant
DuPontâ„¢ Teflonâ„¢ Silicone Lubricants
pg_silicone.jpg

not DuPont™ Teflon™ Multi-Use Lubricant, which i think is what everyone else is using.
DuPontâ„¢ Teflonâ„¢ Dry-Film Lubricants
pg_multiuse.jpg

Is what I got going to be ok or should I clean it up and get an actual chain lube of some sort for now? The silicone stuff is o-ring safe and all, i just don't know how it will hold up compared to the other stuff

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some Champion Chain Lube (Grease?) at walmart. Its o-chain safe. Its like a white thick consistancy. So i was wondering i just like spray it all over the chain and leave it like that? Before i cleaned with a rag the grim buildup. Than spray all round the chain (sides, inside) and leave it like that?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
OK emergency question. I was getting my bike ready for a 1000 mile trip this week, stopped at Lowes and picked up the first thing a saw that said DuPont Teflon Lubricant. Now that i've already cleaned my chain off and sprayed it on, i realize I got DuPont™ Teflon™ Silicone Lubricant
DuPontâ„¢ Teflonâ„¢ Silicone Lubricants
pg_silicone.jpg

not DuPont™ Teflon™ Multi-Use Lubricant, which i think is what everyone else is using.
DuPontâ„¢ Teflonâ„¢ Dry-Film Lubricants
pg_multiuse.jpg

Is what I got going to be ok or should I clean it up and get an actual chain lube of some sort for now? The silicone stuff is o-ring safe and all, i just don't know how it will hold up compared to the other stuff
I have a butt-load of the blue cans at my place...if anyone needs some and can't find any, send me a PM. :(

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just spray on whatever can i happen to pick up at the local bike shop. There are so many different types of chain lube i just grab whatever is cheapest.

Make sure not to over do it. You only need to clean and lube the chain once a month if you do a lot of riding or every 1200 miles. I have always followed that and never had a problem. These o-ring chains are ten times better than the old 1980s chains. You dont have to lube them or clean them near as much. Technology is great.:D

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I just spray on whatever can i happen to pick up at the local bike shop. There are so many different types of chain lube i just grab whatever is cheapest.

Make sure not to over do it. You only need to clean and lube the chain once a month if you do a lot of riding or every 1200 miles. I have always followed that and never had a problem. These o-ring chains are ten times better than the old 1980s chains. You dont have to lube them or clean them near as much. Technology is great.:D

ahhhh :eek: I have been doing it every 500 miles.