How often do you change your cage oil?

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Every 5000 miles with Mobil1 5w30 synthetic in the wife's Avalon and the same for my Tundra. My son follows the same schedule with his Mazda6.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
My truck (06 Chevy 3500hd) I change it when the light comes on gm started measuring oil life back in 99 by how many rpms the engine turns, on full size truck. so if you drive it hard and turn a lot of rpms it can come on as early as 4500 of if you baby it I can go up to 12,000. Even if the rpms haven't been met by 12,000 the light comes on anyways just to be safe. Pretty cool how it works actually, I wish the bike could do it

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
My truck (06 Chevy 3500hd) I change it when the light comes on gm started measuring oil life back in 99 by how many rpms the engine turns, on full size truck. so if you drive it hard and turn a lot of rpms it can come on as early as 4500 of if you baby it I can go up to 12,000. Even if the rpms haven't been met by 12,000 the light comes on anyways just to be safe. Pretty cool how it works actually, I wish the bike could do it

I modified my PCM so the light comes on at about 2500 miles, which is where I change my oil in my GTP. The big cam and lopey idle turns the oil black in about 2000 miles. The '05 Grand Cherokee goes 3000 miles and the 92 Ranger leaks oil enough to where it never needs changing - I just top it off every so often :thumbup: j/k (about not changing it), it doesn't get driven too much, maybe 2000 miles a year so I do it about once a year.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I modified my PCM so the light comes on at about 2500 miles, which is where I change my oil in my GTP. The big cam and lopey idle turns the oil black in about 2000 miles. The '05 Grand Cherokee goes 3000 miles and the 92 Ranger leaks oil enough to where it never needs changing - I just top it off every so often :thumbup: j/k (about not changing it), it doesn't get driven too much, maybe 2000 miles a year so I do it about once a year.

does diablo make a predator for your car? its crazy what all tuning you can do with one and mods you can do to the computer, plus its the one handheld tuner that i know of that if you take your car or truck to the dealer that cant tell youve been messing with the computer, a big + if someone still has a warenty

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Ford Falcon(ba 03 I think) Once a year(only get 5000km/year but put 22000km/y on my bike:thumbup:)Shell helix.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I change the oil on my cager (2011 Jeep Patriot) every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. I plan to stick to non synthetic oil until it's above 75,000 miles. Depending on the time of year I will put different grades of oil in there. In the winter I stick with a thicker grade.

I will be changing the oil more often as the Jeep gets older, but for now it is pretty new and doesn't really need it every 3,000 miles.

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I am on my 48th oil change with 190k miles on the cummins diesel. Rotella 15-40 fleet oil, 3 gallons in the crankcase and a Wix filter for 70 to 90 bucks, depending on where I am. If I'm pulling my trailer I go 3000 miles, if not then 5k between.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every 5000 full synthetic here too, that way I don't have to write it down; for both my '07 Tacoma and my '01 Saab 9-3.
Lawn mower/snow blower: every season. :BLAA:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just traded in my 08 xb with an Inline 4, but on that I used amsoil full synthetic extended drain 25,000 mile or a year. I let it go about 11,000-12,000 between changes. I just traded it in at 113,000 miles and it used no oil between changes. I traded it in on a brand new 2011 Ford Edge 3.5 V6. The dealership I got it from does what they call customer for life. so that includes oil changes every 5,000 miles. So that is what will be done on the edge... But I loved the amsoil product, still use the same oil in my fiance's 06 Mazda 6s with a 3.0 V6 has 60,000 miles and uses no oil between changes either however she only does 5,000-6,000 miles a year so it is done once a year.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
2001 Toy Taco Limited (manual; 4x4) with 200,850 miles as of yesterday. Except for the first 4K miles, have always had the oil changed at around 10-15K miles (and no "reminder" lights). Used to change the oil on previous vehicles myself but since buying the Taco, always used the stealership to perform the change/lube - don't trust Jiffy Lube/similar places. Mind you, the first 60K was logged in the first 4 years (used to drive a LOT).

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
does diablo make a predator for your car? its crazy what all tuning you can do with one and mods you can do to the computer, plus its the one handheld tuner that i know of that if you take your car or truck to the dealer that cant tell youve been messing with the computer, a big + if someone still has a warenty

Actually, I wrote the software that I use to modify my PCM, but I use HPTuner to flash and scan. I have over 2000 parameters mapped out for my PCM, most tuners stop at around 200 or so. Here's a link to the release if your interested. If you know anyone who tunes a W Body GM car there's a really good chance they use it as well. It is free (always has been) and allows access to hundreds of additional parameters for most N and W Body cars (Grand Am, Regal, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo...). After I wrote the software I released the source code for anyone else who might want to modify it, so far there has not been any changes by anyone else.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=5105245&p=15&tmode=1&smode=1

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Every 3K miles, and I run Royal Purple 10w-40. I have a fully built race motor tuned at 16psi of boost, so I take every precaution to keep her running right. Many people think that RP synthetic is a waste of money, but read the studies and you will likely change that opinion. Best adhesion qualities on the market and the best friction modifiers available. Worth the $$ as far as I'm concerned.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am fortunute that I got lifetime lube and oil for my Toyota Tacoma 6 cy. 2 wheel drive x-tra cab. I however supply my own oil Castrol Syntec full synthetic. I love it. Every 3000 miles she gets fresh oil. :thumbup:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a BMW. It has an maintenance monitor (the dealer will call you when your car tells them that something is wrong). Anyway, the recommended oil change interval is...... about 13,000 or 1 year, which ever comes first. This is my second BMW. The first one had the same oil change interval and I traded it in after 10 years. It uses Castrol full synthetic. In my mind, the advantage of synthetic is that it increases the oil change interval. If you are going to change your oil every 3000 miles, synthetic has no advantage over the regular stuff. just my opinion.....