Leaning on skinny tires....

Live4Snow

Reaction score
Visit site
Still looking for a replacement for my BMW K100 (still for sale hint hint) before I upgrade to a FZ6 and was looking at the Ninja 250 and the Suzuki GS500.

My question though is how easily are these bikes leaned down in cornering? My concern comes from the skinny tires equipped with the gs500 and the ninja 250 which are the same coincidentally...

* Front: 110/70-17 tire
* Rear: 130/70-17 tire

I have more fun cornering than going fast so I figure I can learn to corner better then get a faster bike later.

Any opinions?

W

wrightme43

I have scraped pegs on the littlest ninja. Thats not hanging off, but leaning off a good amount. Just remove the stock tires that come on the bike and throw them away.

If your interested in the little ninja. Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index it rocks.

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Believe it or not, the farthest I've ever leaned on a bike was when I re-did my motorcycle skills course a couple of weeks ago - and that was on a tiny Honda 150!!! I think it was just the comfort of a "controlled" environment, but it was a hoot, and did a lot to boost my confidence on my own bike! Have fun!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have seen the little aprilla 250 2 strokes leaned all the way over and carrying more corner speed than R1's at the races and the aprilla's have something like 110 tires in the rear...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are the sizes I used to roadracing on years ago. No worries at all. Just make sure your tires are full warmed up and they are in good condition, ie: no dry rot, etc.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Still looking for a replacement for my BMW K100 (still for sale hint hint) before I upgrade to a FZ6 and was looking at the Ninja 250 and the Suzuki GS500.

My question though is how easily are these bikes leaned down in cornering? My concern comes from the skinny tires equipped with the gs500 and the ninja 250 which are the same coincidentally...

* Front: 110/70-17 tire
* Rear: 130/70-17 tire

Both of these bikes weigh less than an FZ6. And all three weigh a whole lot less than your K100, which is a big heavy motorcycle.

It's more down to the tire compound than the width. For example, if you put Michelin Macadam 50's on the K100, you'd discover a whole new motorcycle.

The same goes for the GS and Ninja. Just put on stickier tires and you'll be more than satisfied.

Oh yeah, I rode a GS500 through England and Scotland for two weeks in the cold and rain on stock tires. Never had a traction problem.

Fred

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
3 Bloody times ive tried to post & 3 times ive been cut off.

How long do I get to voice my opinion? Sorry it takes so long to think before I post.

Mate your problem is not the bike. Its the tyre.
Why do you think Rossi is havin so much drama? Its not a bad tyre, he is just having dramas trusting it. Same as you.

Learn to trust the tyre & the rest will come, regardless of the bike.

Live4Snow

Reaction score
Visit site
Well thanks for the replies people. You guys rock! So I guess I wont worry about the tire size as much as the stickiness.

Oh and I have a feeling that I trust my tires too much on the K100....gotta stop that, they are way too old.

I'll let you guys know what I end up getting in the next 2 weeks.

-John

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well thanks for the replies people. You guys rock! So I guess I wont worry about the tire size as much as the stickiness.

Oh and I have a feeling that I trust my tires too much on the K100....gotta stop that, they are way too old.

-John

John if they are old and you are keeping the bike by all means buy new ones! I've had friend not do that and crash due to old rotten tires.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

-John
I roade a suzuki 600 bandit a few weeks ago while my bike was in the shop. The tyres are smaller than the FZ6. I have to say that the bandit was easier to turn and gave me more confidence as it required less steering input. So much so that I was dragging the peg on a roundabout. This is a feat I have yet to do with the FZ6, and I feel that I am leaning plenty on the FZ6. My chicken strips are only a few mm from the edge of the tyre.

Nelly

Live4Snow

Reaction score
Visit site
John if they are old and you are keeping the bike by all means buy new ones! I've had friend not do that and crash due to old rotten tires.

Thanks for the advice. I already have 2 new tires for it but the local shop charges 70 bucks a tire just to put them on. Im not riding that often though as Im trying to sell it. Good advice though.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I already have 2 new tires for it but the local shop charges 70 bucks a tire just to put them on. Im not riding that often though as Im trying to sell it. Good advice though.

$70 a tire? holy crap, i get both my tires changed for a 30 pack of natural light crap beer. $13. sounds like you could benifit from a tire changing machine of your own... it would pay for itself after 2-3 tire changes.

Live4Snow

Reaction score
Visit site
$70 a tire? holy crap, i get both my tires changed for a 30 pack of natural light crap beer. $13. sounds like you could benifit from a tire changing machine of your own... it would pay for itself after 2-3 tire changes.

Seriously. I am pretty sure I could get the tires off and on but I would rather trust a balancing machine than the turn and rotate method.