Who is responsible for providing passenger safety gear.

Who is responsible for providing passenger riding gear.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
W

wrightme43

Ok who do you feel is responsible for providing gear for your passenger. And on that subject will you ride with a passenger with less than full gear?

W

wrightme43

I believe it is the riders responsibility to provide at minimum helmet, gloves, jacket and pants. Most people at least have over the ankle hiking boots.

Live4Snow

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends. If it is your significant other, your mom, or someone you care about, then I dress them up fully, helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots at minimum.

However, if I am giving my brother a ride up to school (who also rides a ninja 600), he can dress himself because he knows the risks and dangers whereas my SO not so much. But my brother dresses fully as well fyi.

So I think there should be another option for just people you care about.

Y

yukon_alex

This is an interesting poll. I am 6'4" tall, weigh 260lbs and wear XL or XXL helmets. This gear doesn't fit anyone I want to take on the back of my FZ. I always tell prospective passengers what type of gear they need: heavy jacket, jeans at a minimum, over the ankle boots, a helmet that fits (my wife can loan her helmet if she wants to) and gloves (they can use a spare set of mine or my wife's). No one gets on the back without these minimums. Especially not my kids.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
if its just some chick it always ends up being just the extra helmet. I am not saying its right, its just what ends up happening. I need to get some kind of overpant for myself while :eek:, still.

W

wrightme43

What brought the question on is I have been asked for rides several times and always end up telling them no because I dont want to give up my helmet. I think most of the people that just want a ride have no idea why protective gear is so important. The thing is that all that happens is they meet somebody who doesnt wear gear that will give them a ride.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Your goal is to set a standard. You must stay within that standard. Set a boundary that says, "You must have your own helmet." Leave it at that. Don't give anyone else a ride unless they have their own helmet. End of story.

If you set a boundary and live by it, people will be less likely to take advantage of you. They'll KNOW that they can't ride with you unless they have a helmet. They KNOW what the standard is.

I can already guess that YOU prefer to have the passenger wear AT LEAST their own helmet [plus some extra protection I just noticed], being it's provided by you or themselves. All you need to do is enforce this rule. No helmet and gear? No go. At least this is similar to what I do.

If they give you a hard time, just tell them it's YOUR bike and if they have a problem with it, they can get their own.

[This is an important POLL]

Personally, as long as the passenger has a good helmet, provided by me or themselves, I'll let them buddy up with me. If they're wearing less than full gear, I always preamble the danger beforehand.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think that if they are a regular passenger then they should provide their own gear, but i can't expect a friend that i give a ride to twice a year to buy their own gear. Between my wife and i we have quite a bit of gear hanging around that will fit most of our friends, then friends that it won't fit all ride so thay have their own gear and their own bikes.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
i think that if they are a regular passenger then they should provide their own gear, but i can't expect a friend that i give a ride to twice a year to buy their own gear. Between my wife and i we have quite a bit of gear hanging around that will fit most of our friends, then friends that it won't fit all ride so thay have their own gear and their own bikes.

+1 - Helmets are mandatory in the UK so it isn't an option not to wear one. My wife has all her own gear because she rides with me frequently, but I wouldn't expect any non-rider to provide full gear or even a helmet. If I want them to ride, I'll get them a helmet and some sort of jacket at the very least.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both me and my wife have gear so generally our gear will fit most people, even if slightly tight or a size too big. In Holland helmets are mandatory so if my wife's helmet don't fit then bring your own (I have previously borrowed a helmet from mates before but that's not a spur of the moment thing). Most people have walking/hiking boots of some kind. I always tell people of the inherrent dangers and it is their choice, but always fully clothed/helmeted, albeit with a size too big.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What brought the question on is I have been asked for rides several times and always end up telling them no because I dont want to give up my helmet. I think most of the people that just want a ride have no idea why protective gear is so important. The thing is that all that happens is they meet somebody who doesnt wear gear that will give them a ride.
Good poll Steve.
As stated its mandatory in the UK to wear a helmet. How far does that go though. Lots of people think they know how to fit a helmet. Most of my friends would accept in good faith that the helmet I was giving them was ok. I have one buddy who insists that my large AGV is perfect for his small head. I would not let him use it as I felt responsible.
I believe it’s also human nature to make do. So people would rather take the risk with what ever they are given to achieve their end aim, as often it is favour or a lift some where that the ride is for.
If my gear fits my friends then they can use it as I wouldn't let them use equipment I was happy to use myself.
My son has all of his own gear even though he is too young to ride yet.
So in short if the rider is loaning gear they should take every step to ensure that it is fit for that purpose.

W

wrightme43

I bought a ladies jacket and pants and gloves in medium last night. At least the next time someone asks, I can tell them if they will follow me home and wear gear. Sure you can ride.

W

wrightme43

Also like you said Neil, it would have to fit. LOL Thats about the size I like my girls so.... LOL

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
My passenger must have their own gear. period. am I a supply house? I dont own gear to fit everyone who wants a ride. If they can borrow some then that is fine. But you will not get on the back of my bike without gear.my g/f rides and she doesnt like to wear gloves I bi**h about it but that is her call she always wears helmet, jacket, jeans, and boots. Her family (cousins, etc) always asks for a ride and when I say "sure, but where is you gear?" they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm not going to be responsible for you not being responsible.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an extra helmet and gloves. I'll make the person wear a jacket of some type. If they don't want to gear up, we don't go.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
One day back in 1999 I took a ride with some friends, me on my K75. A friend of mine was a passenger on the back. She was wearing a miniskirt and tanktop and no helmet or other gear.

We got to 1174 and decided to do a high speed run. My passenger chose to get off the bike and wait.

Within 5 minutes the K75 was totalled and my friends were calling an ambulance for me.

I have no doubt that if my passenger had stayed on for that part of the ride, she would have gone home in a body bag.

So to answer your question, the passenger wears all the gear that I tell them to wear, or else the passenger gets to stay at home.

Fred

P.S. Here's a link to where I crashed. Heading north I ran off the road on the left hand curve. It's a blind hill followed by that left hander and I panicked.
bertram, tx - Google Maps

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One day back in 1999 I took a ride with some friends, me on my K75. A friend of mine was a passenger on the back. She was wearing a miniskirt and tanktop and no helmet or other gear.

We got to 1174 and decided to do a high speed run. My passenger chose to get off the bike and wait.

Within 5 minutes the K75 was totalled and my friends were calling an ambulance for me.

I have no doubt that if my passenger had stayed on for that part of the ride, she would have gone home in a body bag.

So to answer your question, the passenger wears all the gear that I tell them to wear, or else the passenger gets to stay at home.

Fred

P.S. Here's a link to where I crashed. Heading north I ran off the road on the left hand curve. It's a blind hill followed by that left hander and I panicked.
bertram, tx - Google Maps

Damn.... As they say, "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a ladies jacket and pants and gloves in medium last night. At least the next time someone asks, I can tell them if they will follow me home and wear gear. Sure you can ride.
Why do you want to wear ladies clothes Steve? lol.