How Do You Remove Bar ends?

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got some gel grips & I can't get to first base in installing them cause I can't get the bar ends off.
Is there some metric somethingorother that I need to get? I originally tho't it'd be a simple philips screw driver, but...................not!
I don't want to bugger them up so I'm sure one of you has done this before & can give the info I need.
Thx,
Bill

duffy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I just did mine a little while ago - first of all I tried to get the right size to fit the strange pattern inside - then I got frustrated, grabbed a allen key that fit in the large hole and gave it a spin. That's all there is too it. you don't actually have to turn the screw inside of the allen key hole.

Having said that, I have an 06 , so if you end up with a stripped bolt and bent handle bars, apparently I was wrong and different years require different tools :) (If you don't have an 06)

Last edited:

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Thx for the suggestions, but guess I'll have to take it to the dealer cause no Allen key fits it (metric or US)!
Mine's the '04, old slow silver model (yuk, yuk), so must be different.
I hate it when a seemingly simple job becomes a pain-in-the butt job!:mad:

Last edited:

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, man feel like a dufus! Went back & read Duffy's & Hellgate's mssg again - they're right! It's a simple 6mm Allen wrench USED IN THE BIG END only & doesn't go inside!!'Duhh!!
Thanks!

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got some gel grips & I can't get to first base in installing them cause I can't get the bar ends off.
Is there some metric truck part somethingorother that I need to get? I originally tho't it'd be a simple philips screw driver, but...................not!
I don't want to bugger them up so I'm sure one of you has done this before & can give the info I need.
Thx,
Bill

Use allen sockets bro

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Thx for the suggestions, but guess I'll have to take it to the dealer cause no Allen key fits it (metric or US)!
Mine's the '04, old slow silver model (yuk, yuk), so must be different.
I hate it when a seemingly simple job becomes a pain-in-the butt job!:mad:

It's Quicker Silver not the old slow silver model....come on...work with me here:p

Glad you got the ends off:D