Question for MSF Instructors / Coaches

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiousity what do you guys get paid for classes? Do they pay you per group or per person in the group?

What is the requirement for becoming an instructor, obviously riding experience, is there a list somewhere? Would be something unique to add to my resume :)

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC, it's three years of licensed street riding under your belt and you take one of their instructor classes. Once you have that, you're off to the races.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's only 2 years with motorcycle endorsement. Cannot have more than 4 points on your license. I'm not going to disclose what we get paid (especially since it varies from school to school), but let me just say that it's not a lot. It's definitely about loving this.. not about the money.
I volunteered for 4 years before I became a coach.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're more than welcome to come by and be a range aid for the day whenever I'm teaching which is about every weekend. We'll even let you do the demo's if we feel confident that you know how.

I finally have a weekend off after four staight weekends, but I have another three weekends in a row coming up next week. I usually teach about 30 weekends or classes a year. I have over 150 classes underneath my belt which equates to putting about 1500 riders out on our streets so far.

The pay varies from state to state and from organizations to organizations. But whatever the pay is, it's enough to pay for the upkeep for your bike.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually teach about 30 weekends or classes a year. I have over 150 classes underneath my belt which equates to putting about 1500 riders out on our streets so far.

Ah.. the advantage of living in NV! Funny.. we have a total of 27 classes a year :rof:

Our last class of the year was supposed to be last weekend, but it SNOWED.. so we had to pull the plug on exercise 4 and reschedule to next weekend.
We don't start up again till April.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The local college I work for usually holds three separate classes spread out over three campuses each weekend. And we also offer a couple of classes during the middle of the week.

S

Shamus McFeeley

I knew ahead of time that I wasn't going to get paid anything to be a coach. It doesn't bother me though.

Snow puts a damper on things, but we can still do the classroom stuff during the winter, then bring them back in the spring to ride after a refresher.

Last edited by a moderator:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea just found out apparently there was a 17% cut in pay for instructors a few months back, that sucks :(

That's what happens when you work for the state. It's a part time secondary job, which comes with a benefit of getting parts and supplies for your bike at dealer cost so can't complain too much. I save over a thousand bucks on parts, service, and gear every year!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to be a riding safety instructor. Shame about the points on your license thing....otherwise I would try :p

I save over a thousand bucks on parts, service, and gear every year!

Think how much more you would save if you did your own service! :D

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to do it, but here in NC they require 3 years, period. I'm wondering if there's any value in asking to attend and volunteer at some classes for the next year until I get my 3.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to do it, but here in NC they require 3 years, period. I'm wondering if there's any value in asking to attend and volunteer at some classes for the next year until I get my 3.

There's tremendous value in that. It will make your prep much easier, if you choose to go through with it.
There's no need to ask really.. just show up and say you're there to rat (range aid technician).
They'll likely give you a set of range cards and ask you to help set up cones. If you stick around to end of class, you may be asked to help refuel bikes and help put them away. I used to repair dropped bikes too when I would volunteer (usually swap out levers).
Our school gives you free BRC2, if you volunteer 8 times (can't speak for other schools though).