Heading for the hills

W

wrightme43

Heading for Daniel Boone national forest in eastern KY.
Leaving 0415 should return by 5pm. This is a sorta ride plan, east cumberland parkway and then how I feel like going.
I will check in upon return.
:rtfm::rtfm::rtfm:

W

wrightme43

Here are some more.
It was a fun ride. I got very little sleep the night before though so I was tired. The ride started off very cold, got comfortable, then got insanely hot.

W

wrightme43

Here are some more pictures.
While I was there some dirty hippy dude was playing a flute. He was a very good flute player, the music blended well with the noise of the falls, and the sounds of the woods too. However he was a dirty hippy. Not like a clean hippy that baths once or twice a week, but a dirty hippy that rolls in dirt for a bath.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like an awesome ride. Which section of boone was that? Looks like Cumberland Gap, but I could be mistaken. I live in Louisville and have spent a lot of time over in Red River Gorge. Haven't had the opportunity to head down to Cumberland yet though. Based on these pics, I'm thinking I need to find the time.

W

wrightme43

It was the lower main section, not the redbird purchase.
I live to the S.W. of Bowling Green, is a place called Rockfield.
I took Natcher to I-65N to Cumberland parkway till it ended, to 80e thru Somerset thru the park to London Ky, then South I-75, to 25/90W. This road splits to 90W at the entrance of the park. Super stupid twisty. FUN!!!!
The turn off to the falls is off 90W. The way out is just as twisty. Follow thru to Parkers Lake in the park, it joins with 27N/90W, follow it on to Burnside island State park. If you have a desire to go north do it now. At this point your turning south under lake Cumberland which is huge and stops all roads north. 90 turns into a scenic byway from Montecello to Burkesville. Followed 90 to Glasgow turned off to 1297 to take the back way home.

If you like 90 goes on to cave city and connects back to mammoth cave national park or I-65 north.

Do you know where the natural bridge is? I want to find it but I am having trouble. If your ever heading down this way let me know, and I will meet up with you.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Natural Bridge is just the other side of the Mountain Pkwy from the Gorge. It's just shy of a two hour drive down 64 from louisville....so for you it'd probably be around 3-3.5 (65N to 64E). Some of the roads once you get into the area will terrify you....they are twisty as hell and run right along the ridges. Instead of a shoulder you get a 100+ foot drop off the side of a mountain.
http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ta...=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=red river gorge
http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/nb/maps/

I haven't hiked out to the "real" natural bridge yet. There are a ton of smaller bridges/arches in the gorge. I'm more of a backwoods hiker and natural bridge is more a resort park (lots of family oriented activities), that's why i love the gorge so much.

S

sportrider

the scenery is beautiful, sure beats the desert sand!!! I'm stoked for this weekend the misses & I are going to run the backside of Palomar. I'll bring a camera and take some pics!!!:thumbup: