Gear Review: Scorpion EXO 1000

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Fit: Excellent for my head shape. no pressure points and no wiggling. My only complaint is when I wear my earfuze headphones (molded into the ear to reduce wind noise and have clearer music at a lower volume so better for the eardrums) the helmet pads catch and rip them out of my ear so that hurts a little.

Visor: It has a visor lock so it can be cracked open and locked in place great on
hot days. Also has tinted flip down visor good tint but not polarized. I actually use both my sunglasses and the flip down tinted visor around dusk because the sun can be blinding on my commute home and it is great.

Ventilation: Good venting Keeps my head nice and cool (I sweated a lot in my old helmet) but lots of wind noise when the vents are all open.

Overall: I am extremely pleased with my helmet upgrade especially since I paid more for the Exo 400 when I bought it 3 years ago than I paid for the exo 1000.

D

Dave.TX

This is my current (and first) helmet. The flip down sun visor is quite nice to have. I also do the sunglasses and tinted visor when the sun is low, it helps a lot. Ventilation is adequate. I have more of an oval head and it seems to fit fine. You can also use the air pump for the cheek pads to snug up the fit. There's lighter helmets out there but this one is pretty nice plus it's DOT and Snell certified. Only problem was it quickly had the bottom trim separate from the helmet. I used a bit of super glue to fix that problem. There's a little lever on the left side that's supposed to prop open the visor about 1/4", mine has never worked but I don't really care. I'll be shopping around for a second helmet so I don't have to wear the same one all the time.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my second helmet(street). It's a very well made helmet and at a pretty affordable price. My biggest beef with it is that it's so busy that its loud. the vents work well but there are too many of them, which causes a lot of disruption in airflow. This is good for cooling but makes the helmet loud. I also like to wear glasses when I ride and the flip-down visor causes pressure points on the sides of my head with my glasses in (painful after about 10-15 min). Its also rather heavy, but weight has not been that big of an issue so far. Also at interstate speeds the chin vent closes itself, just looking at this vent you can tell that not to much thought was put into it.

Verdict: Great cheap helmet but not meant for long distances.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one of these when they first came out, over $400. But, its been my only lid since 2007! Fits my head perfectly, love the built-in visor, the "crack-open" feature works great for me (and I ride all winter long, down to 26F).
Two complaints:
1. The double-D rings are sewn in fairly close to the shell, and its a bit of a struggle to clip them into the FZ's helmet lock (at least compared to the G-max lid my bike came with).
2. The snaps holding in the liner. Some of them are regular snaps, no problem, but some are a style where you need to slide the knob over before pulling, and they're easy to break (which I did; they fixed it without charge but I had to wear that damn G-max for a couple months). I'm hoping they've changed the snap design; mine's getting kinda tired and I'll probably buy another one just like it. :thumbup: