Is this set up good?

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its time to buy new gear and would like some opinions.

Textile Jacket: My question, is textile to hot for summer riding when its close to a 100 degress?

Boots: I want Sidi_B-2_Boots. Is this to much of a boot for normal and sometime agressive street riding? Ive had two friends go down. One lost his leg and another shreded his foot bad. So now im a bit paranoid.

Gloves: The gloves I want a friend said "there to much. just get a cheap pair, that it will do just as good". I think that is another thing that should be we'll protected in a crash.

This is the set up I plan on getting. What's your opinion?

Thanks.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Textile Jacket: My question, is textile to hot for summer riding when its close to a 100 degress?

Boots: I want Sidi_B-2_Boots. Is this to much of a boot for normal and sometime agressive street riding? Ive had two friends go down. One lost his leg and another shreded his foot bad. So now im a bit paranoid.

Gloves: The gloves I want a friend said "there to much. just get a cheap pair, that it will do just as good". I think that is another thing that should be we'll protected in a crash.

Thanks.

The boots and gloves are a great pair and will offer excellent protection. So will the jacket but it's not a great choice for the temperatures. Look for a perforated leather or go with the mesh jackets. If you do go mesh, make sure you get all the upgraded armor.

I have a Textile with a removable thermal liner that I start with in the spring. As it warms, I remove the liner. Once we hit 70+ days, I switch to my mesh jacket with the water/wind proof liner. When it gets too hot, I remove that liner and am left with only mesh where the wind blows completely through it! :thumbup:

EDIT: I have version 2 of this jacket and it is great! FirstGear Mesh-Tex 3.0 Mesh Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

get perforated leather and some full gauntlet gloves! perforated leather FTMFW!

In regards to the gloves I totally agree and issues like fractures of the scaphoid, ulna and radius can be avoided with full gauntlet gloves that offer greater support. This is why I chose the Icon Merc glove. Granted, at $100 they are pricey but well worth it.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Checkout nforza website. Awesome quality same as the top brands. Check my post on SBN; a lot of people bought stuff from him; jackets, gloves, pants ... leather/cordura

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
get perforated leather and some full gauntlet gloves! perforated leather FTMFW!

I love my A* Stage Jacket. Perforated leather front and it has an thermal vest liner. With underarmour I'm good from 30F to 95F (after 95F it usually sucks with anything but mesh). I also recommend a pair of gauntlets... spend a little more and you can get say A* SP-2 (roughly $89). Don't think too much about "is this too expensive?" You're protecting your upper body and hands. There are also many other variants like the Teknic perforated leather jackets and say their gloves. If you're near a Cyclegear, check out the new Frank Thomas jackets and gloves. Perforated jacket and new gauntlet gloves. A quality set of leather gear will last for a long time; textile is usually toast after one or two good get-offs.

Go for perf leather and gauntlets... definately FTW.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
The boots and gloves are a great pair and will offer excellent protection. So will the jacket but it's not a great choice for the temperatures. Look for a perforated leather or go with the mesh jackets. If you do go mesh, make sure you get all the upgraded armor.

I have a Textile with a removable thermal liner that I start with in the spring. As it warms, I remove the liner. Once we hit 70+ days, I switch to my mesh jacket with the water/wind proof liner. When it gets too hot, I remove that liner and am left with only mesh where the wind blows completely through it! :thumbup:

EDIT: I have version 2 of this jacket and it is great! FirstGear Mesh-Tex 3.0 Mesh Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD
NH must have similar weather conditions to WI I would imagine. Being a newer rider, I want to get something that's going to give a fair amount of protection. I had been considering the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 jacket Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD but i wonder if that's going to be too warm in the summer, even with the liners out and vents open? I like the Mesh-Tex you posted and that it has CE Armor but overall will it provide as much protection? And since it wasn't mentioned before, what about pants? I'd been considering the Ballistic 7 overpants but again is this going to be too warm?

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

My experince has been that its best to have cold/cool weather gear, and then a separate set of hot weather gear.
The stuff that claims to be all things to every rider is not really good at any of it.

I have a set of joe rocket mesh gear, and gloves. A Fieldsheer Highland II suit (cool/cold textile gear). A set of Fieldsheer Aquatour jacket and booster pants. Rainy cool weather. With fieldsheer insulated gloves.

And a set of perforated leather gear. with Held full guantlet gloves.

If money is tight and you dont mind last years styles. (who gives a crap anyway?)

New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD
Check out closeouts and bargin basment.

They have a full yamaha suit leather perforated for under 400$ to your door.

you can get a fieldsheer highland II suit for 230$ from
iMotorcycle Store - Home
It takes a while for them to ship stuff, but they do exist and deliver your stuff.
Those two sets of gear would cover 90% of the time.

Get good gloves, and good boots.

I really really like my hands and feet.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
My experince has been that its best to have cold/cool weather gear, and then a separate set of hot weather gear.
The stuff that claims to be all things to every rider is not really good at any of it.

I have a set of joe rocket mesh gear, and gloves. A Fieldsheer Highland II suit (cool/cold textile gear). A set of Fieldsheer Aquatour jacket and booster pants. Rainy cool weather. With fieldsheer insulated gloves.

And a set of perforated leather gear. with Held full guantlet gloves.

If money is tight and you dont mind last years styles. (who gives a crap anyway?)

New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD
Check out closeouts and bargin basment.

They have a full yamaha suit leather perforated for under 400$ to your door.

you can get a fieldsheer highland II suit for 230$ from
iMotorcycle Store - Home
It takes a while for them to ship stuff, but they do exist and deliver your stuff.
Those two sets of gear would cover 90% of the time.

Get good gloves, and good boots.

I really really like my hands and feet.
This doesn't look bad. Leather plus should have good airflow
Joe Rocket Blaster 3.0 Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD
Default.jpg

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I knew one man who wore TATOOS for his gear. He said they're great for hot weather and stuff. Everytime he crashed though...he had to get more of them to cover the scars. He looked like a pus-bucket! EEewww!

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered the same boot online and returned it due to flimsey support at the ankle. Bought a pair of Alpinstars for about the same cost, much stiffer which translate to better crash protection. I realized it is best to buy boots at a store vs online to get the best fit.
Check out cycleport.com for the best mesh gear with Kevlar. Some textile gear can melt to your skin while in a slide. Think about mesh pants too-good luck shopping. Don't be cheap, buy quality products

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks.
Hi Mate,

Welcome to the site. What do other riders wear in your area. Talk to the riders at your local shop. The gloves do look good, I would ask you to use caution with any glove that has its fastening on the Palmer side. This is the highest impact area. Friction will evry quickly melt velcro. Glove fastenings should be on the back of the hand.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In regards to the gloves I totally agree and issues like fractures of the scaphoid, ulna and radius can be avoided with full gauntlet gloves that offer greater support. This is why I chose the Icon Merc glove. Granted, at $100 they are pricey but well worth it.
Fractures of the above mentioned bones commonly occure as a fall on to an out stretched hand. The commonest motorcycle thumb injury that I have encountered is "Game keepers" thumb. As the bars twist around the bar over extends the thumb damaging the co-lateral ligaments. This injury can go un-diagnosed for weeks as the pain goes after a few days and there is no apparent loss of function. The gauntlet will not prevent these injuries over a shorter glove. They allow greater abbrasion protection. Again the picture of the gloves shown has the final fastening on the underside. This increases the risk of the glove comming of in a slide.

Nelly

Although the winter glove selection looks at winter gloves. The same principles should be applied to your summer goves. If you intened to spend a good deal of your hard earned cash on protective gear then a quick five minute read is worth while.

Last edited:

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you see the importants of riding boots. In my opinion nearly important as a helmet. Find a good set and they should last you a very long time. I run a textile jacket in the summer and get along fine. Granted I'm in Oregon, not Texas, but it's a dry heat right.... Anyways props on asking and choosing good gear.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NH must have similar weather conditions to WI I would imagine. Being a newer rider, I want to get something that's going to give a fair amount of protection. I had been considering the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 jacket Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD but i wonder if that's going to be too warm in the summer, even with the liners out and vents open? I like the Mesh-Tex you posted and that it has CE Armor but overall will it provide as much protection? And since it wasn't mentioned before, what about pants? I'd been considering the Ballistic 7 overpants but again is this going to be too warm?

It provides just enough protection at normal speeds. If you're the type of rider that opens the throttle a lot then stick with leathers only becuase you'll need the extra protection for the longer slide on the tar. ;) All mesh gear is designed to be used "once" meaning one mishap and you replace the gear.

For pants, I have the FirstGear HT Air Overpants (mesh) but I have to tell ya, these are really season-long pants. With the water/windproof liner installed, I am comfortable right down to "So cold we winterize the bike" but take out the liner and the wind blows right on through. Being overpants, they zip up and down the full length on both legs. Order the exact size of your pants if you want them as overpants, or if you want to use them not as overpants, order the next size down. Very comfortable! :D

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice gear. I don't know how many vents that jacket has, but my guess is that you will roast over about 80 F. I have a vented 3 seasons jacket that is good up to about 80 - 85 F. After that, I will switch to a mesh jacket.

Are you thinking about getting riding pants too?

H

HavBlue

I like a good bit of both worlds....

SHinNH

Reaction score
Visit site
i just picked up this Jacket when I got my bike.. Its really warm with the liner in.. was out riding in 35 degree weather and didnt get cold at all. I am guessing that I will need a different jacket tho when it gets really warm out. Also got the Shift Gloves

Shift Chaos-- $40
Shift Streetfighter Hybrid Jacket-- $250