Looking for a how-to for fork oil change...

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have searched both the How-to, the Garage/Mechanical help, and the Mods forums and I can't find one, maybe I am blind, but I don't see it.

I wanted to change the oil in my forks to the 15wt that everyone says people should use.

I have never worked on forks before, so I would like a how-to. I will look through the manual, but pictures are always nicer!

Thanks

Ben

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't seen one yet.... sounds like its up to you Ben! J/K I dont think it is too hard but I remeber Havblue and Hellgate saying there is no drain or easy way to get it out. but if you have a suction pump or something similar you just remove the caps, suck out the fluid and re-fill. for more complete/better info PM Hellgate.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never done it but one tip i have always heard is to Only do ONE AT A TIME or they will both compress and the front end will be all the way on the floor...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you had to remove the forks from the triples and tip them upside down then pump them several times to be sure you pushed all the oil out?

The other method, provided you're putting in the same weight oil, is to use a vacuum pump but I wonder if this gets all of the oil out?

I'm going to be dropping my forks on an upcoming weekend to do the Racetech Spring mod myself. I'm going to use DefyInertia's write-up as my guideline since he did suach a great job!

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So as I understand it:

1. Properly support the bike, so that the front tire is off the ground with no chance of it falling forward.

2. Take off one of the the endcaps on top of the fork.

3. Suck all of the fluid out (should be about half a liter) ***is it actuly feasable to think that I can get it all out???

4. Fill back up with any 15 wt oil ????? (Is there a type ie mineral, synth, mix?)

5. Tighten endcap to proper tourque spec.

6. Do steps 2-5 on the other fork.

?????

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

If the bike is on the centerstand it doesnt matter. Do both. Actually remove them and get the crud out. Mine are due too.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't seen one yet.... sounds like its up to you Ben! J/K I dont think it is too hard but I remeber Havblue and Hellgate saying there is no drain or easy way to get it out. but if you have a suction pump or something similar you just remove the caps, suck out the fluid and re-fill. for more complete/better info PM Hellgate.

Roger that Doc. Only two options on draining/removing oil. 1) Suck it out with a Mity Vac or 2) remove fork legs and turn upside down. Ain't much fun either way.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So as I understand it:

1. Properly support the bike, so that the front tire is off the ground with no chance of it falling forward.

2. Take off one of the the endcaps on top of the fork.

3. Suck all of the fluid out (should be about half a liter) ***is it actuly feasable to think that I can get it all out???

4. Fill back up with any 15 wt oil ????? (Is there a type ie mineral, synth, mix?)

5. Tighten endcap to proper tourque spec.

6. Do steps 2-5 on the other fork.

?????

Bingo! Replace with about 450ml per leg. Try to messure what you get out. Drain into a ratio rite to know.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My vote is to take them off and pump them several time to get it all out while updside down...really not a whole lot of work to do. Fill them per your manual.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh GOODY! You want to change your fork oil?

I once had 2 old motorcycles with TWICE the problem of leeky seals. Everytime the fronk forks were pumped, a nice stream of oil would flow from the slide.

You want to change your fork oil? Honestly, I'd only do it if you have the following problems:

1) Your front suspension is bottoming-out, no matter the settings or how fat you are.
2) Your front suspension is leaking. This could be from a seal or something.
3) Your front suspension is too slow. You press down and you have a birthday when it climbs back to the top.

The idea is to refurbish your forks when you have a problem, so you can do EVERY job altogether. It'll take an entire day.

HERE'S WHAT YOU DO:

-Put your motorcycle on the centerstand.
-Put enough weight on the seat so the front lifts up. You can use sandbags, a kid playing FF on a PSP or anything else that's heavy enough and secure.
-YOU DON'T have to remove the front fairings and stuff, but it's recommended so you don't scratch any paint. Personally, I don't.
-You know how to take off the front tire right?
-READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL TO HELP TAKE OFF THE FRONT WHEEL AND BRAKE
-You know how to take out the forks?
-UNSCREW the brake hose clamp bolt from each fork slider. You don't need to disconnect any hydraulic hoses, but you should suspend them somewhere safe on the bike. Use strings or something.
-Slacken any handlebar holder clamps, fork clamps and bolts.
NOTE the alignment of each fork before removal.
-When you're sure you've slackened all the clamps and stuff, remove the forks by twisting them and pulling them downwards.
-WD40 on clamp areas if the forks are seized in them.

Twice I had to refurbish the forks on my old bikes. Taking them apart to work on is messy and painstakingly annoying. You'll save lots of $$$ if you bring the forks to a mechanic with a bottle of fork oil.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3) Your front suspension is too slow. You press down and you have a birthday when it climbs back to the top.

-Put enough weight on the seat so the front lifts up. You can use sandbags, a kid playing FF on a PSP or anything else that's heavy enough and secure.

Thanks Elm for making me squirt tears in a laughing fit this morning! :p

;) :thumbup: