How remove FZ6 tailight assmbly?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone kindly enlighten me if it is, indeed, necessary to disassemble body parts to remove the '07 stock tailight unit? Actually, I just need to remove the red lens but it appears to me that one needs to disassemble grab bar and also other body part(s) to to get the unit to clear. Is this right? I hope not. I remember once when I had to replace a headlight in an 1989 Ford Aerostar. It was necessary to dismantle much of the front end! (no wonder my brother asked if I could do it; he knew how much trouble it was!)

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm fairly sure that if you take off the grab handles, you will see the way to remove it from there. Be sure to disconnect the tail light wires so you dont rip them off. I never removed the lens but I have taken off the rear panel/grabrails. it has to be in there.

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry mate but unfortunately you have to disassemble the whole back part of the bike to change the tail glass. It's fairly easy, just takes time.I did it about 3 months ago. Took me about an 1 and a half to replace it and assemble it again..

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Remove the seat.
2. Remove both side covers (one screw on top, under seat, then pop out of the rubber grommits)
3. Remove two large bolts, one on each side that were hidden by the side covers. These are the front of the grab rails. (Figure 1)
4. Remove two large top bolts located under the very back of the seat. (Figure 1)

Figure 1
View attachment 3113

5. Unplug the wiring harness at the left side. (Figure 2)

Figure 2
View attachment 3115

6. Remove the two phillips screws under the grab rails (accessed from underneath in figure 3)

Figure 3
View attachment 3114

At this point, you should be able to carefully pull straight back on the grab rails and slide the tail piece off. Be careful and go slow. Pry the plastics away from the exhaust and while pulling, be wary of the wiring so you don't catch it anywhere.

I wish I had more pics but these were shots from me putting the FE kit on. I didn't have to take all that off, but it makes it easier.