Fuel cap doesn't open?!?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I got my bike out and running. Everything works quite okay but I couldn't get the fuel cap open. The same thing happened last year too but I managed to open it then after a few tries. This time I sprayed some CRC multi-purpose oil to the keyhole and tried again. With no help. It feels like the key is not going down as far as it should because it won't turn at all in the lock. The cap itself is not stuck, I think.

Though my bike is of the fastest blue color it still isn't flying all by itself. LOL So I need to fuel up. Any ideas how to get that cap opened?

Thanks.

J

jsteinb95

It sounds like maybe there is something already in the key hole; dirt?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Dirt or such is probably the cause. If I don't get it open today with some of the other keys, I'll take the whole cap assy off and see if I can clean it up. And I'll remember to cover the gas hole. LOL

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had Claud fly over to Helsinki, Finland. Did a couple of runs and told me it was cool over there. Perhaps some ice has gotten inside the keyhole?

You can take a 100 watt lightbulb and hold it over the fuel-tank keyhole for 5 minutes. Leave it there for a while. That should melt away any ice holding it closed. [DO NOT USE A LIGHTER!!]

I have some bad news. You can't get the cap assy off without actually unlocking the lid first. That's just how YAMAHA builds their cap assys. Sorry.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ice was my thougt too, it happened to me last year on the old bike, i had to hold my key over a lighter flame to warm up the key, then insert the hot key into the lock a couple times to melt the ice...

Note do the fire portion AWAY from your bike...

H

HavBlue

If the key won't go all the way in to the shoulder you may find the tumblers are frozen at the lower end. A locksmith will have the tools to clear this up.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
It was about +10 C degrees yesterday so it's not frozen. And I tried pushing down the cap when trying to turn the key. The cap does go down a few millimetres so I don't think the cap itself is stuck. There's something wrong in the lock maybe.

When I try to turn the key it feels like I'm using a wrong key which doesn't fit. :confused: And if I can't unfasten the whole cap assy without opening the cap lid I'm pretty much in trouble. Well, next thursday I'm taking the bike to the maintenance anyway. They ought to get the fuel cap opened. But it also means that my weekend ride is going to be much shorter that planned. :(

Thanks for your help.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
It was about +10 C degrees yesterday so it's not frozen. And I tried pushing down the cap when trying to turn the key. The cap does go down a few millimetres so I don't think the cap itself is stuck. There's something wrong in the lock maybe.

Thanks for your help.

Are you trying to put fuel into someone elses bike LOL :p

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
If you rule out ice (HOLD AN ILLUMINATED INCANDESCENT LIGHTBULB OVER THE KEYHOLE FOR OVER 5 MINUTES!!), then it's alignment. Go out and try the lightbulb trick! It does work! It spreads lubricants around and stuff.

If that doesn't work, make sure the keyhole is aligned with the chamber and SLOWLY install the key, pressing down FIRMLY at the end.
(Ha ha ha!)

Gently thrust it up and down a couple of times [nearly dying at this point] and the tumblers will all activate, FIRMLY press down and turn CLOCKWISE! Read the arrow indicator for turning direction. DO NOT USE EXCESS FORCE! You COULD break your key inside the lock and UH OH!

--CHECK YOUR KEYS!! Are there any chips or wear on them?

One time, I had BOTH my keys frozen into my motorcycle. One in the ignition and another in the fuel-lock. I couldn't take the seat off! Those were funny days.

Last edited:

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
make sure you are getting the oil into the lock, spray it onto the key also and slide it in and out a few times then proceed to wiggle the key in the lock until it loosens. when you get it loose put in some mineral oil as the penetrating oil drys the lock up.

i take it you havent put petrol in it since last year ?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site

Right you are. Just yesterday I got the bike out from carage where it has been in storage with full tank all winter.

The key slids smoothly (Elm, stop sniggering!) half way down and then stops like it has reached the end of the lock. Maybe the undermost latches are stuck?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
make sure you are getting the oil into the lock, spray it onto the key also and slide it in and out a few times then proceed to wiggle the key in the lock until it loosens. when you get it loose put in some mineral oil as the penetrating oil drys the lock up.

One way to ensure that oil is getting into the lock is to insert the key and use one of those plastic straw things that come on WD-40 and spray the lubricant down the lengthwise grooves on the key and then wiggle slide in and out and all the other things that sound dirty when you type them...

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved! I got the tank cap open today.

There's a rubber seal around the lock base. I sprayed CRC (pretty much same stuff as WD40) under that seal rather than inside the keyhole. Gave it some time to effect and then turned the key back and forth a few times. And then I finally got the key to turn all the way it should and the cap opened.

Whee! :Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved! I got the tank cap open today.

There's a rubber seal around the lock base. I sprayed CRC (pretty much same stuff as WD40) under that seal rather than inside the keyhole. Gave it some time to effect and then turned the key back and forth a few times. And then I finally got the key to turn all the way it should and the cap opened.

Whee! :Sport:
Well done Bren,
Has the seal perished?

Nelly

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
It was about +10 C degrees yesterday so it's not frozen. And I tried pushing down the cap when trying to turn the key. The cap auto body part does go down a few millimetres so I don't think the cap itself is stuck. There's something wrong in the lock maybe.

When I try to turn the key it feels like I'm using a wrong key which doesn't fit. :confused: And if I can't unfasten the whole cap assy without opening the cap lid I'm pretty much in trouble. Well, next thursday I'm taking the bike to the maintenance anyway. They ought to get the fuel cap opened. But it also means that my weekend ride is going to be much shorter that planned. :(

Thanks for your help.

Hmmm, why dont you cahnge the cap.... Just to be sure