buzzing noise

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, since i've never heard another FZ6 other than mine i'm not sure which sounds are normal and which ones are not. I get this buzzing noise (more like rapid clicking, very similar to a tazer gun) at around 2000-4000RPM, and i'm not too sure but i think it's audible (higher frequency though) over 4000RPM as well.
I got off the bike, put it in neutral and revved it slowly and tried to listen to where the noise was coming from. I might be VERY wrong about this, but it seems to be coming from the engine head. I don't think the spark plugs can make such a loud racket.

What do you guys think?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how old is your bike? i get a slight hint of this noise as well. and mine has 1150 miles, so she is just a baby...

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
i have 3 grand and its made that clicking noise with 0 miles on it. just face it, for $7000 it doesnt sound as good as a 600rr but but it cost alot less. from what i hear from others, its normal to hear little noises, especially when its hot but i wouldnt worry. if something is really wrong, youll know it. thats why i got the extended warranty and normally im not the extended warranty type of guy but i figured, fudge it, why not im already financing it and they gave it to me for peanuts.

B

bluenova

I get a buzz around 5000 rpm. I'm not completely sure but I think it is coming from the radiator cover/protector, as it's held quite lose at the top and would probably vibrate at certain vibration frequencies from the engine.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has some normal vibrations, some caused by that amazing exhaust :) and some by the lack of absorption in the engine mounts. However this vibration is not caused by a loose washer or some other parts touching.

Like Bluenova, I get some vibrations from the radiator area when going up in RPMs, which is annoying but not something that I'm too concerned about, albeit I would like to know where it comes from so I can add some sheets of rubber to help with the vibration dampening.

As for the problem coming from the valves, I've thought of that and having had a car with badly adjusted valves, I don't think it's that. It should knock a lot more, but like i mentionned in my first post, it's very much like a tazer gun.

Does this bike have eletronic ignition or does it have a distibutor?

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
9.2k on mine makes exact same noise, rapid clicking or ticking. It increases in fequency as you accelerate, especially in lower gears. Thought maybe it was an exhaust leak at the header but doesn't seem to be.. I think it's just a yamaha engine thing. Does it in neutral, in gear, on a train, in a bus.. you get the idea.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
9.2k on mine makes exact same noise, rapid clicking or ticking. It increases in fequency as you accelerate, especially in lower gears. Thought maybe it was an exhaust leak at the header but doesn't seem to be.. I think it's just a yamaha engine thing. Does it in neutral, in gear, on a train, in a bus.. you get the idea.

Oh well, i guess it's a yamaha thing :)... Thanks for your input guys!

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey about the Buzz thing.... Get a pair of nice pipes like the Two Bros. or the M4s through the group buys. That will silence the buzz.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ :D i wish i had enough $$$ to get new pipes, but I gotta change the chain, get new tires, and a suit :) so no room for new pipes this year.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh Bill, I forgot to mention that after i read your post i went out, took a short ride so the engine got warm, and i tried out different combinations. Clutch in/out 1st gear, clutch in/out Neutral, and any combination makes the same noise (the one i described)

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has some normal vibrations, some caused by that amazing exhaust :) and some by the lack of absorption in the engine mounts. However this vibration is not caused by a loose washer or some other truck parts touching.

Like Bluenova, I get some vibrations from the radiator area when going up in RPMs, which is annoying but not something that I'm too concerned about, albeit I would like to know where it comes from so I can add some sheets of rubber to help with the vibration dampening.

As for the problem coming from the valves, I've thought of that and having had a car with badly adjusted valves, I don't think it's that. It should knock a lot more, but like i mentionned in my first post, it's very much like a tazer gun.

Does this bike have eletronic ignition or does it have a distibutor?

If the bike has a distributor, I think its thats the problem..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, since i've never heard another FZ6 other than mine i'm not sure which sounds are normal and which ones are not. I get this buzzing noise (more like rapid clicking, very similar to a tazer gun) at around 2000-4000RPM, and i'm not too sure but i think it's audible (higher frequency though) over 4000RPM as well.
I got off the bike, put it in neutral and revved it slowly and tried to listen to where the noise was coming from. I might be VERY wrong about this, but it seems to be coming from the engine head. I don't think the spark plugs can make such a loud racket.

What do you guys think?
Hi Mate,
You are not alone with this. I have been so paranoid with my noise that my bike has been to four dealers. The last dealer was by far the most helpful. The problem has now been logged with Yamaha so if there is an engine failure I will have some come back.

The noise is normal for some FZ6's. The last dealer even changed the cam chain tensioner to see if this made any difference.

Check out these responses to see if any of them fit your noise or reassure you.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/1530-cam-chain-tensioning.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/3495-rattle.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/527-tapping-noise.html

nelly

mikelb63

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I feel much better - at least I`m not alone. My bike has about 2500miles on it and it has this nice loud ticking / whirring sound at around 4k-5k RPMS only when in gear. As soon as I put it in neutral the sounds goes away.

At least I know i`m not alone.

It`s annoying as hell. It`s all I hear.

seadworf

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you guys get the clicking/rattle noise as well. I bought my FZ6N yesterday. it's used but it only had 2600kms on the clock. i picked it up and rode it home (which was 1000kms). after the first few ksm i thought, --bloody hell i really got ripped off, bought a bike with broken valves or something, but it made the 1000kms without any problem and it performed absolutely well.

my noise is strongest in low revs and high gears. it's almost a bit like a sewing machine, it really seems to be audible because the engine is so quiet.

If anyone ever find a solution to it (apart from racing exhausts) pls let us know.
-ta

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,
You are not alone with this. I have been so paranoid with my noise that my bike has been to four dealers. nelly

Got the rattling sound too. It sounds like if there was a little rock in the headers vibrating and causing the sound. Been to 2 dealers too, got the same reply from both: "What sound???"

I got used to it after a few thousand km...It's also not noticable when I wear ear plugs

vela

Reaction score
Visit site

What do you guys think?
I'm not shure but if it makes you any happier, mine does the same exact thing. It has done 6500 miles so far.
Injectors tick allot like valves but much quieter... maybe it's them?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What do you guys think?
Ok I hear you and the others.
I have spent nearly a lifetime (well lunch time anyway) trying to get to the bottom of the ticking noise.

I have registered the noise with Yamaha UK and had 3 dealers look at it. Two dealers were deaf (worrying) One dealer was excellent and recalled my bike and ran a bunch of tests. They have even replaced the came chain tensioner.
The conclusion is that it is the agricultural sound of the FZ6 fuel injectors.
So sleep easy friends and carry on riding the bike as before.
Problem now well and truely put to bed.

Nelly

Last edited: