Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very grateful for the response I've received and continue to receive on the headlamp mod. No matter how good you build something the person installing and doing these mods is the person who makes it successful! So Thank You! :D

Once again I've been busy thinking about what else I might offer in addition to the headlamp relay mod that I think might be an advantage for us motorcyclist.

Every year around this time some of us are in colder riding conditions and thinking about heated grips and the same scenario seems to repeat. How do I power/slave these off the battery? This is not just heated grips but most any accessory we might want to power from the battery separate from the bike's circuits.
Obviously you can run down and buy the standard fare relay, wire it up and you're good to go. The thing that I've never liked about these set-ups is usually the spade connectors that are usually used. They seem to either be poorly made low quality or lack the ability to keep a tight secure contact. They can lack mechanical stability and the insulation can easily be compromised. This usually will end up creating heat and degradation at the connections and can result in the connector failing because of an open circuit or a shorted circuit.

For those interested I've started to build power relay assemblies along the same lines as the headlamp relays I build. They are built using the same type relay and relay socket. They are silicone insulated. Silicone is great! It has a rubbery consistency that is great for mechanical strength and protection. It has a high heat resistance and is a great insulator!
It seals out water and won’t break down from oil or water.

When I build these I apply silicone between all the soldered connections. I then use heat shrink tubing to make a great water/dust proof, mechanically stable assembly.
This is an advantage in the tight confines of motorcycles. It simplifies how and where you mount the relay assembly because of it’s resistance to elements and higher mechanical strength.

I also use a double pole relay. This means there are 2 sets of contacts carrying the current.

If for some reason the relay would ever fail. You can easily and economically replace it with a new relay because it is socket mounted and serviceable!

The assembly includes an inline fuse and ring connectors for both battery connections. One small gauge wire to a keyed source and two wires to power your accessories.

On the FZ6 there is an easy source to get control signal from. This is the “Starter interrupt relay” located on top of the battery.
Attaching the white, light gauge wire, from the power relay to the red with white tracer wire on the starter interrupt relay provides the needed switched power. Any bike can also use it’s running light or tail lamp circuit instead for a switched source.

The relay will provide 20 ampere of current to your devices.
This is a total 260 watts of accessory power.
Wattage equals voltage times current so 13 volts DC times 20 amps equals 260 watts.

There is some good info here to give an idea of the wattage the FZ6 can produce: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/1827-fz6-electrical-power.html

This power relay is suited for what ever you might need to provide power to on your bike.

There are advantages to using switched power for your accessories. One would be these circuits are shut down when the bike is shut down. This would obviously shut off the drain on the battery should you leave something plugged in.

There is a way to have an override switch for those emergencies where you might want power through the relay while the key is off. This can be arranged should that be a concern and talk to me on a great way to do this.

I’m including a PDF with instructions. This unit is very easy to install so there is not much to the instructions.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 highly recommended :thumbup:
I forsee another coming my way in a month or so for the Concours :D

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a real nice setup I will definitely consider one if I add more accessories. Out of curiosity what gauge wire did you use for the white wire?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 highly recommended :thumbup:
I forsee another coming my way in a month or so for the Concours :D

Just PM me and I'll be on it! I'm ordering more parts this week so I don't run out.

That looks like a real nice setup I will definitely consider one if I add more accessories. Out of curiosity what gauge wire did you use for the white wire?

The white wire is a 20 gauge wire. Why do you ask? :confused:

Are you planning on offering these for sale in a similar fashion to BD43's headlight mod ??

I am offering this Power Relay the same way as I've been offering my Headlight Mod. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/37355-universal-head-lamp-conversion-relay.html

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried making my own accessory harness awhile back for my 12 volt plug and with the relay it kept shorting out the inline fuse. Couldn't figure it out so I eventually just bypassed the relay but now it slowly drains the battery. If the bikes sits for a week plus it needs a little bump start. I was just wondering if my gauge wire was causing it I used 20 on mine as well. So now I am positive it was my s**t electrical work in the relay area.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried making my own accessory harness awhile back for my 12 volt plug and with the relay it kept shorting out the inline fuse. Couldn't figure it out so I eventually just bypassed the relay but now it slowly drains the battery. If the bikes sits for a week plus it needs a little bump start. I was just wondering if my gauge wire was causing it I used 20 on mine as well. So now I am positive it was my s**t electrical work in the relay area.

What was the amperage of the fuse?

That was one of the things I was talking about if you're using spade connectors and the crimps are not good or the connectors are poor quality etc. They end up shorting out or pulling loose.

I make them with high quality soldered connections and they are further insulated between the connections before I finish with the outer insulation.

They're much more rugged and suited for motorcycle duty than the common fare I generally see. Not that you can't build a good rugged set up yourself, you can. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! I see a price in the PDF but I do not see info on how to purchase this. Is there a website? :thumbup:
No there's just me :D I'll PM you!

Edit: My sister used to live in Cherry Hill and I'm originally from Jersey.

Last edited:

ChadK_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I assume if you want it switched you can add a switch inline in there ?

I bought my bike used with heated grips but the previous owner who installed the grips just went straight to battery with a switch mounted on the upper fairing. I left this thing on twice in the winter and have since removed the switch since it isnt cold enough to worry about it, but with winter coming up and need to get this on a keyed circuit so i do not risk draining the battery, but also dont want the heated grips on every time the bike is on. So where would you recommend adding a switch?

And I will be ordering one of these soon.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Was just re-reading your post. It may or may not be the relay dumping your battery. There may be something else a miss. I would charge the battery and have it load tested and then you might want to have a leak test done to see if current is being drawn when the bike is shut down. Don't worry about the clock. It won't show up.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
What was the amperage of the fuse?

That was one of the things I was talking about if you're using spade connectors and the crimps are not good or the connectors are poor quality etc. They end up shorting out or pulling loose.

I make them with high quality soldered connections and they are further insulated between the connections before I finish with the outer insulation.

They're much more rugged and suited for motorcycle duty than the common fare I generally see. Not that you can't build a good rugged set up yourself, you can. :D

Was just re-reading your post. It may or may not be the relay dumping your battery. There may be something else a miss. I would charge the battery and have it load tested and then you might want to have a leak test done to see if current is being drawn when the bike is shut down. Don't worry about the clock. It won't show up.

You know I am not entirely sure what size fuse is in there anymore. I think it is a 1 or 2 amp quick blow in line fuse I will have to lift up the tank later and take a look at what I put in there, but I have a feeling it might be the 1 amp right now.

It hasnt blown since I removed the relay from the equation and I use the 12 volt all the time plug all the time. I am going to take a look at my connections probably redo them. I am using crimp connectors for the connections on the relay. If I redo them I am gonna make it rugged like you described with soldered connections instead of crimp and do some better insulation.

What do you mean by the relay dumping my battery? With the relay it just blew the fuse without the relay it is slowing pulling charge from the battery but is not an issue unless the bike sits for a week or more and I ride daily so it is not a huge issue.

I gotta say I really appreciate the advice. Thanks man!:thumbup:

ChadK_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FZ6 in the winter earlier this year and used the heated grips which were wired directly to the battery. Needless to say I had drained my battery a couple time leaving the switch on. In the spring disconnected the switch and disabled the heated grips.

I installed a new lighted switch with this relay and it works like a charm and now its heating back up to 80's this week :p

Thank Motogiro!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FZ6 in the winter earlier this year and used the heated grips which were wired directly to the battery. Needless to say I had drained my battery a couple time leaving the switch on. In the spring disconnected the switch and disabled the heated grips.

I installed a new lighted switch with this relay and it works like a charm and now its heating back up to 80's this week :p

Thank Motogiro!
See! Works better already! :rolleyes::D
Thank You!

I just installed mine. Nice unit. :thumbup:

Thank You!

Last edited:

Eli05FZ600

Reaction score
Visit site
moto i was wonder if you had any posts about installing HID head lights or angle eyes or anything like that. i would like to upgrade my head lights and installe some runing lights inside if posible. if you have any instructions or tips that would great.thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
moto i was wonder if you had any posts about installing HID head lights or angle eyes or anything like that. i would like to upgrade my head lights and installe some runing lights inside if posible. if you have any instructions or tips that would great.thanks

There are lots of members that have experience converting to HID and the hardest part is the mechanical. Getting it all to fit. If you do a search you'll probably find lots of info and experience on this great mod.
When you need electrical advice I'll be very happy to help! :D

Triple

uncomfortably numb
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I correct to assume that the only advantage to using your power accessory relay versus wiring straight to the battery is that installed accessories power down automatically when the ignition is shut off?

I'm about to install a Gerbing's power outlet and a standard 12V socket, neither of which draw power unless something else is plugged into them.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is correct and the way I make them makes the relay assembly pretty impervious to water, dust and mechanical failure. The unit is rugged enough to stuff in tight areas where you also don't have to worry about spade connectors being exposed or coming off and shorting out. The wires are soldered and and well insulated. The unit will carry more current than you would probably ever use with contact redundancy for a unit that stays cool and will have a long long life. The unit is capable of 20 amperes of current which would be 13.5 x 20 to equal 270 watts. The relay is also user/field replaceable because I build it as a plug-in relay. I'm proud of my power relay! :p LOL!