trackday pucker moment

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
did a trackday yesterday at oulton park on a hired cbr600rr

was a great day, and only had one pucker moment, which I managed to capture on camera for prosperity...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OgGYXO81sM]the moment i shat myself at oulton park - YouTube[/ame]

luckily i had racing wets on, which were awesome, i was overtaking everybody :rockon:

i did take it easy through the chicanes after that though!

will try and post a couple more videos when i get a chance too

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
get your butt off the seat and hang leaning into the turn and that would probably have been avoided... but that was definately an Oh Shi$ moment... I have had a few of those close calls on the track before... But if you get half a butt cheek off the bike and get your upper body leaning into the turn like you are trying to kiss where the mirror would be will help you decrease the bikes lean angle and allow you better traction and control of the bike in those situations... definately post up some more video looks like it was a blast out there even in the wet...

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, i didn't realise my body position was so bad until the instructor followed my on one of the sessions. i thought i was hanging off, by my upper body was staying in the middle

i don't think the lean angles were excessive, i still had fairly big chicken strips.

they put a new set of these (bridgestones) on my hire bike just before i went out

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
those are some serious rain tires there... how many turns are there at that track... and whats the length if you know it...?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
those are some serious rain tires there... how many turns are there at that track... and whats the length if you know it...?

17 turns, 2.692miles apparently

800px-Oulton_Park.svg.png

the pucker moment was at #11 (Hislops)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a fun track, thanks for posting the map.

Slips and slides happen in the wet, it will make you a better rider.

Where the tires warmed up or had your session just begun? On cool days I live to give myself a full two laps to let the tires warm up before I get on it.

Body position will definately help but in this case you weren't leaned over super fast. But it did look like you were getting on the gas, which is exactly where slips happen.

Good catch and I'm glad you didn't high side, those hurt.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
get your butt off the seat and hang leaning into the turn and that would probably have been avoided... but that was definately an Oh Shi$ moment... I have had a few of those close calls on the track before... But if you get half a butt cheek off the bike and get your upper body leaning into the turn like you are trying to kiss where the mirror would be will help you decrease the bikes lean angle and allow you better traction and control of the bike in those situations... definately post up some more video looks like it was a blast out there even in the wet...

:Im With Stupid:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
was about 15mins into the session, so tyres were warm, did have a couple of little fishtails, but they were definitely rider error :)

i'd also done a couple of very slow sighting laps with them, and a normal 20 minute session beforehand. no tyre warmers on these, as i suspect they would have melted :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like that large black object on the left had you over to the right as if pulling your head up to avoid hitting it while on the throttle - Good Save and Glad you're pulled that off! High woulda hurt!