Review: Ebay Bar-Risers ($50.00)

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the trigger and bought these off eBay cause they seemed legit.

Can be found under title: "1" up 1.25" back Handlebar Risers Yamaha FZ1 FZ6"

They are available in Black and Silver.

Just received the hardware today so will give a review on installation and how it holds up under normal use.

First impressions:

They came nicely packaged and seemed well-made (came quick too, 3 day turn around). They are machined from aluminum and are pretty light but they scratch easily so I guess I have to coat them with something to stop that. I wish they felt more sturdy but i doubt that will effect performance, unless I drop the bike :jawdrop: which I dont plan on doin' any time soon.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Please post your experience on if it drastically changes the comfort or turning. I have been thinking of a set :)

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, put the risers on bike today and also painted them with a can of rustoleum spray paint to try and match grey on bar mounts and protect from rust/scratches. Unfortunately I cant ride with them due to a snapped clutch cable, no one has any in stock in area so have to wait a week and a half. I heard a pop when I was riding and noticed it was shifting weird, took off adjuster and lever and saw this... :eek::eek:

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
So do you think its from the riser's? Looks like you still have the stock bars. What did you think of the new position? and lastly I'm sorry it sucks to not be able to ride for a week:( . Just be sure it won't bind with the new cable and break again.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, no no, it was not the levers that caused the cable to snap at ALL! I pinched the cable when I put my aftermarket levers on because I was too excited and rushed it LOL The cable held for about 1 month but I guess it had too much. stock cables moved just fine when I placed bar with controls in new mount. My only concern is the aluminum bolts that came with the kit. I dont want to tighten them down too much and strip the threads and I also dont want to leave them too lose and have my handlebar move while on the highway. Maybe a veteran can weigh in on this? If its aluminum on aluminum does it matter or is it only with dissimilar metals you have to worry about stripping visa vise over tightening?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
From a strength standpoint, I would be leery about using aluminum bolts, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I understand the use of plastic screws on the windscreen, but I would prefer steel bolts for the handle bars.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From a strength standpoint, I would be leery about using aluminum bolts, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I understand the use of plastic screws on the windscreen, but I would prefer steel bolts for the handle bars.

+1 on the above...

BTW, I have similar risers you just installed, (they came with steel bolts) mine just have a half moon that fits downwards into the cavity.

Rustolem metallic # 7271 is a close match to the upper triple tree as well..

The bracket in the middle is for my GPS cradle. I really like the risers.

Last edited:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I bought some thread locker on the threads and tightened them as much as I could comfortably. Basically jumped up and down on the bars and no movement, hope thats enough. :D

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up! I've been lookin into getting some risers lately and have been comparing a bunch. They look nice and the paint seems to match well, too!

How do they affect handling of the bike? Do you notice a big difference in steering or anything?

Last edited:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, I cant give you a write up about steering feel and riding performance till next week. However, I know a couple guys bought them as well so they'll prolly have em' by the end of the week. Hopefully they can give a report.

***WARNING***

I would use thread locker low-medium strength when putting the bolts in and be careful not to over tighten because if you strip the bolts/thread you are screwed =(. And be EXTRA careful if you re-use the stock steel bolts because I'm sure they will do a double-job stripping the aluminum threads on the risers. I dont know what the torque specs are for those bolts in the manual but bear in mind that these bolts are not stock.

***WARNING****

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very happy with mine and just find the seating to be more comfortable. If your getting on it, your leaning forward anyway.

As for the thread locker, IMHO, I would keep away from it and use steel bolts.

That's how its assembled from the factory and if torqued (steel bolts into the aluminum upper triple) properly, it does not need thread locker... Mine thread into two of the stock holes (same thread size and pitch)

BTW, the torque is 17 ft lbs per the manual for the four stock bolts.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They weren't cheap but you get what you pay for...

I would not use aluminum bolts for about anything (except maybe extremly light duty use) and have learned Chinese knock off products Generally are not machined as well as Japenese/USA/German made products...

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Not saying you arent correct about them being knock-offs, but I believe they were machined in the US of A. :BLAA:

Going to swap out aluminum bolts for steel as soon as possible. Can I just pick them up at home depot or an automotive store? I want to make sure I get the right sizes.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct LOL. I must have missed that. It said the risers were machined from T6 aluminum and the bolts looked exactly like the metal on the risers so I naturally assumed. Does stainless steel look exactly like aluminum? Sorry for the nubber-ness.