Launching the fz6

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Since im going to the dragstrip tomorow i figured id ask anyone who has gone before or anyone who is just really good at launching their bike. Ive played around praticing from redlight to redlight by taking the bike up to 7500 foot on rear brake clutch just before friction point, when it turns green I let the clut h out very quick while slowing increasing to wot. This seems to be working pretty good but I think I can do better. So what seems to work the best at the strip or just working best period.

Also everytime ive gone in my cage I always liked doing a nice burnout even though I know its not needed on street tires, its just plain fun :D but what about the bike im running shinko ravens and with the vht on the track I wouldnt think i would need to burnout...any thoughts other wise?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually hold the throttle around 5k with the lever sitting right before the friction zone. I rock the bike back and forth a few times to find this, then rev up. When the light goes green, I slam the throttle to WOT as I'm dumping the clutch. Laying on the tank keeps the front end down, but if it comes up anyway, just a breath on the rear brake brings it back down. I mean, your foot should be over it anyway ASAP after launch, then just think about hitting the brake and it comes down. Too much and the front end slams down and you lose too much speed.

Then when it comes time to shift, don't bother with the clutch. Roll off and on as fast as you can, and aim to jam the shifter exactly when the throttle slams in the off position. The revs will barely come down enough, but it should be just enough. And be sure to jam it extra hard from 1st to 2nd. Missing that shift while hauling ass sucks.

I don't know if you'd need a burnout, but you do want to make sure the tire is hot and sticky.

I've never been to the strip myself, but I read that technique from someone on here. And there's these stoplights that happen to be a quarter mile apart that no one ever drives on...

Not that I would ever drag race that section, ever. Nor would I know that I'm usually in the 3 digit range when I hit the second intersection...

2 out of the 3 times I did(n't) launch there. :spank:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I've run my FZ6 at the local airport when they do their 1/8 mile drags. I usually launch around 4,000 rpms and keep the clutch released just outside of the friction zone.

They use a Sportsman Tree that has three yellow lights that illuminate one at a time before the green light illuminates. As the first yellow light illuminates, start releasing the clutch and you'll be moving by the time the light turns green.

If you wait for the light to turn green before launching, you'll easily add .75 seconds to your ET.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input and I cant wait till tomorow night its been about 3 years since ive been to a dragstrip when I used to go just about every other weekend. So as of right now I thonk im going to try and stage as far back as possible hold it at 7k and start realeasing at the first yellow light and see what happens. If I red light oh well ill just wait a little longer on the next run, unless they run a protree "doubtfully" being that its just a test and tune session. Also gtpaddict will be bringing his camera so hopefully he can post some videos when we get back!!!! :D

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't get enough bite to pull the nose up on the first run, smoke it up. If heat doesn't help, drop the pressure on the next run. Just be sure to cover the brake.

Find a place you can watch the tree and get the timing in your head.

Weight will help keep the nose down and is a good thing for first time attempts to size up traction and the bikes reaction to different parts of the strip so consider a near full tank of fuel. It can cost a tiny amount of time or make a great weenie roast if things go to He||. Be careful. . .