Gulf Coast folks, Tex LA, Miss, AL and Fla. Question...

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Im gonna be heading to Tampa around xmas. I am gonna head from Albuquerque and head south to Corpus Christi and then over to Galveston to spend some time with my GF who is working out there. I would like to stay as close to the coast as possible or at least as far south as possible to avoid any potential snow(wierder things have happened in the south!).

I have just started to look at the route but I would love to hear some suggestions on some good roads or coolo places to check out along the way. Also any cool camp sites as I will be camping more then not.

This will be my longest trip to date(miles and days) but look forward to it!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Ridden from Birmingham to Sarasota 3 times on the FZ but it was July so snow was not a worry. I75 is nice all the way down just have to be aware near the toll road that goes over to Orlando - people get crazier as the close they get to that turnoff. I10 is kind of a grind thru the panhandle and police can be tough. I go thru Columbus, GA to Albany to Tifton and then pick up I75 or will go from Columbus to Americus to Cordele to I75. Not many curves in that part of the world. Sorry can't help much on the camping - there is a nice campground in the panhandle of Florida that my brother has stayed in that is nice but not much in the way of facilities.

Sotex

Reaction score
Visit site
As part of a larger trip, I hope to be covering a small portion of your route from Corpus Christi to near Houston in mid-October. I'll chime in afterward if I can offer anything helpful. If you want to avoid I-10 and remain to the south, there are some great farm-to-market and ranch roads southwest of Houston. Definitely not as good as the interstate for putting away miles, but a lot more interesting.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I am gonna try to stay off the interstates as much as possible, I like the little ranch roads and 2 lane highways. There are much slower but I am in no hurry to get anywhere and the interstate always makes me really tired. Hahaha!

Thanks for the link to the campground Shuckle!

DirtySouth

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're heading to Corpus Christi, will you have time to check out the Aircraft carrier there? I left out the day after Xmas last year for my annual trip to visit family down in the RGV on a Triumph Scrambler from the Atlanta area and made it to Galveston for the first night. I have to say that if I didn't my Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves, I would've never made it. We had 4-5" of snow on the ground here and there was still snow on the ground down around Montgomery, AL. Honestly from TX to FL, I would drop my head and power on through because there isn't much to see. I hate the interstate as much as the next guy but when it comes to covering ground, I'd rather hit it versus wasting a day or two coming across.

D

Dave.TX

Corpus has the USS Lexington. The first one was sunk at the battle of Coral Sea, this was a replacement and still used in WWII. I haven't been to it yet but hope to. Go across to Mustang Island and ride up to Port Aransas and back to the mainland. It's a nice little stretch of coastline. Also, on the east side of Houston is the USS Texas. It's an old battleship from the late WWI era. It's close to the San Jacinto monument. If you like that kind of stuff it's worth seeing.

I've also been to the USS Alabama in Mobile, AL. It's a WWII era battleship, pretty impressive. At the same location they have the USS Drum which is a submarine and they also have some aircraft (including an SR71) and other things on site. Neat museum. Down at the south end of Mobile Bay is Dauphin Island. Take the ferry across the bay. At both ends are Civil War era forts, pretty cool to see and read about how they were used all the way to WWII.

That's as much as I know along the coast. Not too familiar with the roads as I've been pretty much I-10 across Louisiana and such. There is a long bridge in LA that goes over swampland, no place to turn off for miles. Watch out for large lizards that bite.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Lex is pretty cool, you'll enjoy it. Also check out the USS Texas battleship while you're in the greater Houston area.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're heading to Corpus Christi, will you have time to check out the Aircraft carrier there? I left out the day after Xmas last year for my annual trip to visit family down in the RGV on a Triumph Scrambler from the Atlanta area and made it to Galveston for the first night. I have to say that if I didn't my Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves, I would've never made it. We had 4-5" of snow on the ground here and there was still snow on the ground down around Montgomery, AL. Honestly from TX to FL, I would drop my head and power on through because there isn't much to see. I hate the interstate as much as the next guy but when it comes to covering ground, I'd rather hit it versus wasting a day or two coming across.

I didn't know they had one but after the last few replies I will def plan to visit some of them. I know it gets colder up north, I was working out in Huntsville Al, in 09-10 and we had some snow days but I would think(and hope) it would be warmer if I hung on the coast. Im not in a hurry to get anywhere and kinda enjoy putting along some of the smaller towns.

I was thinking about the heated gloves though but I have been doing the research on the extra watt load we can have on our bikes. I dont want a meltdown in the middle of nowhere! I will be running gps and my Ipod so I should be ok.

DirtySouth

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't know they had one but after the last few replies I will def plan to visit some of them. I know it gets colder up north, I was working out in Huntsville Al, in 09-10 and we had some snow days but I would think(and hope) it would be warmer if I hung on the coast. Im not in a hurry to get anywhere and kinda enjoy putting along some of the smaller towns.

I was thinking about the heated gloves though but I have been doing the research on the extra watt load we can have on our bikes. I dont want a meltdown in the middle of nowhere! I will be running gps and my Ipod so I should be ok.

If the FZ6 can't handle heated gear, I will be putting mine up for sale soon for sure :(. I've run heated gear on single cylinder dualsports and have never had a problem as long as I kept the revs up, of course you will want to turn them down or off while putting through town. Another option which is cheaper is something along the lines of Hippo hands.

TwistedThrottle.com : Oxford Handlebar Muffs for Motorcycles - OXF.OF82

Another treat is take the ferry from Dauphin Island over to Gulf Shores. It's a 45 minute ferry ride and is a nice break because even though you are standing around, you're still moving. :D