Overfilled, should I bother?

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I dumped 3 whole litres of full synthetic Yamalube 15w50, went for a ride, put the bike on the center stand, let it cool off, looked at the dipstick and oil is way above the markings. Is it safe to leave it like that?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i hear its not recommended. I think you can destroy an engine if you put way too much over the limit. I would try to drain some without unscrewinf the drain bolt completely but be careful it can get really messy if you dont prepare.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on not draining. Overfilling can be as bad as not having enough oil. Drain some off and you'll be good to go.

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a You Tube video where a guy used the pump from something like a soap dispenser to drain off excess oil. He put it in where the dipstick goes.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I overfilled mine once. It starts seeping out and you can smell it. As mentioned above, I ended up sucking some out though the oil filler cap with a syringe I had for 2 cycle oil or mini air pump or something. Yeah, I believe it puts excessive pressure on seals which can eventually lead to seal failure but I'm just talking loosely. But, yeah, it can't be good to overfill with significant oil. You said you only used 3 liters? That's not much over if you drained a operating temperature engine of motor oil & filter. That's how much I usually pour in. Only reason why mine was overfilled was because I didn't adequately warm up the engine!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i hear its not recommended. I think you can destroy an engine if you put way too much over the limit. I would try to drain some without unscrewinf the drain bolt completely but be careful it can get really messy if you dont prepare.

Yea i changed mine for the first time and it shoots out sideways like a squirt gun!!!!. Got all over my driveway :spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i changed mine for the first time and it shoots out sideways like a squirt gun!!!!. Got all over my driveway :spank:

LMAO!!!! I should have made you come over here to do it... :rof::rof:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I drained about 200-300ml by unscrewing slowly the drain bolt...well, I thought I would just let it drip a little, but no, the damn thing wouldn't drip until completely off. Guess what, it dropped in the oil pan, and I stuck my index finger in the whole to stop the oil from leaking out (good I had nitrile gloves and the oil was not too hot..)...

I somehow managed to screw it in, and as a result I discovered that I drained exactly as much as I had planned. So far, so good.

I took the bike for a ride, and now I have this ticking noise, which is most pronounced around the 4k RPM in 3rd gear, but it's there in all gears, just can't hear it so much. I swear, it was never there before! Also, there's 2.8 litres of oil in the engine, right now it sits on the top of the marking on the dipstick.

Needless to say, I'm confused and worried... :(

1978jeep258

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard a ticking noise in my top end ever since the bike was new, but I've never done anything about it. Bothers me though, and I was searching the topic when i came across this thread. Doesn't seem to change by oil level though...

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I drained about 200-300ml by unscrewing slowly the drain bolt...well, I thought I would just let it drip a little, but no, the damn thing wouldn't drip until completely off. Guess what, it dropped in the oil pan, and I stuck my index finger in the whole to stop the oil from leaking out (good I had nitrile gloves and the oil was not too hot..)...

I somehow managed to screw it in, and as a result I discovered that I drained exactly as much as I had planned. So far, so good.

I took the bike for a ride, and now I have this ticking noise, which is most pronounced around the 4k RPM in 3rd gear, but it's there in all gears, just can't hear it so much. I swear, it was never there before! Also, there's 2.8 litres of oil in the engine, right now it sits on the top of the marking on the dipstick.

Needless to say, I'm confused and worried... :(

Did that on my first oil change. I use Rotella 6T (4 Q can) All you need to do is put a drain pan on the right hand side of the bike (leave the dip stick out) and lean it... You don't have to remove the drain plug

Just for the record, I didn't put the whole 4Q of oil :BLAA: it was just a bit too high on the dip stick...:spank:

brucey

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when you check your oil level you don't screw in the dip stick. From the start: unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, then insert it without screwing it in, then remove it and observe the oil level. This is an easy mistake to make. If you screw in the dip stick then you will see the oil level as being too high, when it is actually at normal level. Call up a local mechanic and ask his/her advice, a good one will talk to you on the phone and check your oil level for free. I hope this helps. Yes, I will get a photo put up, I'm to busy riding!

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
when you check your oil level you don't screw in the dip stick. From the start: unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, then insert it without screwing it in, then remove it and observe the oil level. This is an easy mistake to make. If you screw in the dip stick then you will see the oil level as being too high, when it is actually at normal level. Call up a local mechanic and ask his/her advice, a good one will talk to you on the phone and check your oil level for free. I hope this helps. Yes, I will get a photo put up, I'm to busy riding!

Thanks brucey, but yes---I always check the oil level on the bike, cars, etc. without screwing it in. Right now it's about 1-2 mm above the top of the marked zone on the dipstick, and that measurement is taken with hot engine, parked on level ground on the center stand, let stand until it cools off a bit, and then wiping off the dipstick and taking measurement without screwing it in.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to add that I'm pretty sure overfilling the crankcase was what caused the brushes on my starter to get eaten up.

When I took my starter apart because it wasn't working a bunch of oil came out. The brushes were soaked in oil and there was excess "sediment" (from the brushes) inside. A friend at work suggested this and I drained some. I assumed it wouldn't be a problem since I didn't think I could have overfilled it by MUCH, but still. Haven't had a problem since.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
when you check your oil level you don't screw in the dip stick.
This sounds okay but, it doesn't specify this anywhere that I know of. I speculate that this is because the level indicated is insignificant or within parameters whether the dip stick is screwed in or not. It's curious why Yamaha doesn't specify whether to screw in the dip stick or not.