Do your pinkies close over the grip when riding??

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed today when riding that i dont close my grip almost ever on the bars. I tried to consciously do it today while riding and i couldnt lol. It was like my fingers were cramped or the glove wouldnt allow me to close my grip. When i did force my hands to close over the throttle grip my hands started hurting.

IM curious, are my hands and joints just messed up or is it common to just lightly hold the grips with 3 maybe 4 fingers??

Thanks for helping a nub out :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My right pinky sits out. Not quite straight, but almost. Must be a "me" thing because I've noticed it sticks out while I'm drinking, typing etc.....

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
I do the same thing, my hands never fully close. I concentrate on my grip on the bike with my legs more. I tend to move my hands around a lot with clutching and braking and adjusting my grip on the Throttle. My hands are also pretty big (long fingers), and trying to hold the grip tight can be uncomfortable.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
My hands never close tightly unless I am tired, and that just makes them hurt. As long as you aren't letting go, a loose grip is better than a tight one. You want to be able to move freely on the bike, and the loose grip will allow more freedom of movement in your wrists, translating up your whole arm to your shoulder, which loosens your back and in turn keeps your hips and bum mobile on the seat.

So I'm told. ;)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have big hands and even a loose grip has my finger tips touching my palms which drains a little extra energy.

I bought some Spyder grips which are slightly larger than the stock grips. Two things came from this ONE of which I never gave consideration to:
1) finger tips don't hit my palms, my hand is comfortable longer
2) With the lager grips I find my right hand having to let go and reposition when riding aggressively vs stop and go traffic. That is, it takes more rotation of my wrist to reach WOT and I use that option often!!!

Keep it in mind - but a loose grip / rather a floating hand is best so you're not tensing out the other muscles in the upper body.