newbie advice

oldgit fz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone.

My first post, so pls be kind

I have just passed my UK DAS test and was interested in a FZ6 brand new.

As usual, everyone keeps sayin to me try this try that, ie z750 / hornet
street triple etc etc and that the FZ6 aint as good etc etc.

Being a complete novice i am kinda lookin for advice from people
who do know about the bikes, that being you.
Someone even said the FZ6 had no mid range pull ? is that right ?

Remember, anything will feel like a rocket ship to me as only ridden
Kawa ER5 from training and test !!!

I am sorry if this has been debated before but i so badly like the look
of the FZ6 I just want opinions from people who have them :thumbup:

any advice greatly received

Oldgit

H

HavBlue

To me, the reason there is no midrange isn't the bikes fault, it's the rider's fault because they are in the wrong gear necessary for the engine to produce and torque in the first place. The FZ6 produces enough torque to get the job done and in the hands of a newb it could get away from you too. In that respect the bike can be rather unforgiving. Welcome to the forum..

Charlie

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
start here http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html

like Hav said the comparo's and write ups do not do them justice. the FZ has more than enough torque/HP for most people. Most people (including myself) do not feel like the FZ is a good beginners bike as you will see in the above post. But if you are confident in your skills and respect the bike you should come out o.k. also remeber the old saying "there are riders who have been down and there are riders who will be down" which one are you? do you want to down a brand new ~7K bike or a used ~1-2K bike?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear Old Git,

It is not what everybody else thinks that is important. If you can grab a test ride then you should.

You will not be disappointed with the FZ6 or any of the others. Remember allot of what a bike can/can not do is down to the rider.

Good luck and take it easy.

...M

P.S. Everybody here will tell you the FZ6 is great.:thumbup:

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Old git,
I too am a new rider who started on an FZ6. Just as you described in your post, the bike felt like a rocket when I first got on it. I still think it was a good starting point for me and I really enjoy the ride. Once you ride it for awhile, you'll figure out how to get more power when needed and when to take it easy also. It's a great bike for me.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are a complete newbie and you are talking about "mid range pull"

Is that the most important thing on a bike for you?? Of course its not.

This is the bike world. Last year I had an Intruder, there was no way an FZ6 was better than my Intruder. This year I have an FZ6, there is nothing on the road better than my FZ6. Next year is another bike, another story.

Up to 7000RPM this bike is fast enough for any new rider, over 7000RPM it is possibly too fast. It looks good and has a top speed of about 240KPH. You can tour it, race or go to the shops on it. It goes about 300km on a tank.

When deciding what you want with a bike. Think of what YOU want and forget all your mates, they can pick their own bike. The one you pick is yours.

"Mid range pull" Come on guys how many of you had this on top of your criteria when you chose any of your bikes?

I hope you make the right choice.

Steve

S

sportrider

welcome aboard!!! I'm not sure exactly what the UK DAS test is. I'm assuming it is for a motorcycle license. if you are just learning how to ride I'd suggest taking a look at the ZZR250 or the Ninja 250 (yes they are different bikes. the ZZR isn't available in the US) and learn the ropes on that. If you are an experienced rider (again I don't know what the UK DAS test is) the FZ6 is a pleasure to ride. the FZ6 is a top end heavy motor but it has plenty of torque comparing it to other 600's. the 675 has more torque as with the 750 but they do have a slight displacement advantage.

Balberts

FZ6-Toga
Reaction score
Visit site
Some good advice so far... I just wanted to add that the FZ was MY choice for a first bike and I don't regret it. As long as you have respect for what the bike can do and don't ride outside your limits, you should enjoy the FZ for a while. I'm in year number four and still don't feel a need to "trade-up". Do what feels right to you.

Taylormade

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2005 FZ was my first bike. I had very little experience before. I did take a certified rider training program. It was the best money I had spent up until the bike itself. As long as you take it easy and ride within your limits youll be fine. You may as well ride the bike 'you' want, not what others are telling you to. Cheers

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As you can see a lot of people are saying TAKE IT EASY if you get a FZ6.

It is so easy to get carried away on this bike. It is great fun but it is light and very fast. We all want you to be safe.

Steve

W

wrightme43

welcome aboard!!! I'm not sure exactly what the UK DAS test is. I'm assuming it is for a motorcycle license. if you are just learning how to ride I'd suggest taking a look at the ZZR250 or the Ninja 250 (yes they are different bikes. the ZZR isn't available in the US) and learn the ropes on that. If you are an experienced rider (again I don't know what the UK DAS test is) the FZ6 is a pleasure to ride. the FZ6 is a top end heavy motor but it has plenty of torque comparing it to other 600's. the 675 has more torque as with the 750 but they do have a slight displacement advantage.

Thanks and I want to second this advice with this addition.

Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index

Take a look, the people there are very adament about proper riding technique, and safety gear. More important than that. Mental safety.
To quote Danny in another thread, the FZ6 does not suffer fools.
The littlest ninja is a very forgiving bike. I sold mine for right at what I paid for it. Minus fuel, insurance, brake lines, pads, fluid, tires, and valve adjustments. I did every bit of work myself. I learned to mount and balance tires, clean carbs, adjust valves, align the chian, and all the little things that help to make motorcycling a way of life.

I promise the FZ will still be there for you when your ready. Ego kills many a motorcyclist.

I am alot like you, the very first bike I wanted was a FZ6. I dreamed about it, I woke up in the middle of the night, needing it. I checked my ego, and got a smaller bike to build my skills. I practiced in parking lots for hours. I read lots of books, and practiced the drills. I searched on the internet for knowledge. Does any of this protect me from harm? NO. It does lower my odds of getting hurt though. Motorcycles are a very harsh teacher, you get a test every time you ride. Bin one and its no biggy, bin the wrong one and its death. Seriously.

Being in europe you all have a great deal of good learning bikes.
Please dont think I am trying to run you away. I love riding, You will love riding. You will be a better, safer, rider if you start small. You will also be one more person out there carrying the message that motorcycling is great, and here is a good way to start. :Sport:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden a lot of bikes and owned a few, By far the FZ is the best all around bike i have ever gotten on,after breaking mine in and allowing myself to ride it agressively i find that it has plenty of power, anyone that thinks differently is not riding it the way it wants to be ridden.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
........it has plenty of power, anyone that thinks differently is not riding it the way it wants to be ridden.

Well said! The FZ6 is a high-RPM bike and if you're not above 7k at the least, you're not using the bike to its fullest potential.

That being said, if you are a n00b, then you *shouldn't* be in those RPMs until you've learned to respect the bike's capabilities 2nd and YOUR capabilities first! :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well said! The FZ6 is a high-RPM bike and if you're not above 7k at the least, you're not using the bike to its fullest potential.

That being said, if you are a n00b, then you *shouldn't* be in those RPMs until you've learned to respect the bike's capabilities 2nd and YOUR capabilities first! :thumbup:

and also remember that 7k RPM IS the midrange for that engine, 14k redline makes 7k the middle point AND where the bike turns into a powerhouse. if people writing the reviews are riding it like an 11k redline bike they are treating 5k rpm as the midrange which is weak for midrange power

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also... to add to this.... without a PCIII or something similar, the rev limiter will stop you at 13.3 to 13.5k RPM anyway. A little Yammie safety valve.

d11gla

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in your position 7 months ago and after hours of reading, reviews, visits to garages ect and alot of thought I bought a brand new pre-reg FZ6S2. I dont regret it one bit, its a fantastic bike to ride!

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the motorcycle safety class in October of 07 and bought my first bike (07 Red FZ6) in December 07. After 600 miles it’s been a great first bike and I look forward to many more miles. Have some common since, take your time and learn the bike. I learn something new everyday and feel a little more confident the more time I get to ride. I highly recommend a safety class, it was fun and very informative.