open exhaust

D

dewin82

something to try is an open exhaust. I cut the exhaust off of the pipe, after consulting with my bike shop(they said that it should pretty much even out with the cat still on and having it mapped). The bike now sounds like a racing bike. I believe it would probally be to loud for most riders, but that is what i like. Also i hav gained 7 hp and 4 more miles a gallon. the torque is also off the chart. Now if i get on it hard at about 8k rpms it will pull the wheel right up. Well just a idea, im loving it sound clip to come soon

H

HavBlue

something to try is an open exhaust. I cut the exhaust off of the pipe, after consulting with my bike shop(they said that it should pretty much even out with the cat still on and having it mapped). The bike now sounds like a racing bike. I believe it would probally be to loud for most riders, but that is what i like. Also i hav gained 7 hp and 4 more miles a gallon. the torque is also off the chart. Now if i get on it hard at about 8k rpms it will pull the wheel right up. Well just a idea, im loving it sound clip to come soon

Welcome to the forum.

Did you do a roller run before and after to get you figures?

D

dewin82

yeah the shop i go to was curious to see what kinda differnce there would be just with the bike breathin better so they put it on the dyno. So that was cool got a couple of free dynos

D

dewin82

what i did was take the exhaust and pipe off the cat then just cut the exhaust offthen reinstalled the pipe. I turned the pipe so instead of tucking under the seat it now turns out the side. Then i put everything back(including the stock can) so it looks completely stock.

D

dewin82

the only other thing i had to do was remove the mud gaurd but thats a piece of cake 4 screws

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
You know, if you put aftermarket cans on there, they look better and sound better than running open exhaust.

Your neighbors and everyone on the road hates you now. Just FYI.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
You know, if you put aftermarket cans on there, they look better and sound better than running open exhaust.

Your neighbors and everyone on the road hates you now. Just FYI.
If he is getting sufficient back pressure from the cat wouldn't this make the bike more powerful than an aftermarket exhaust? Not saying that it isnt to loud.
what would be cool like if on you had an electronic way to open up the exhaust after the cat. There is a system like this available for cars.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
glad to know that you gained so much power for this mod, their was just a post of a stock can completely gutted and essentially straight pipes run out that sounds pretty sick, that i think i would have cone before this.

Does your exhaust "shoot" into the inside of your passengers leg if someone rides 2-up. Looking forward to the sound clip.

Lewy

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday all hay is the cat the piece of pipe in between the swingarm where the header's go in to one then go up then gets thicker(cat??) then back to normal size and so on

Only asking cos i always thought that the cat was under the seat but after reading this it seems not to be any way sorry for the high jack

Thanks Lewy

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to make sure I understand correctly... You just chopped out the middle section of pipe and left the muffler there?

I'm sure it does sound nice but I really like to see before and after dyno sheets. Alot of times the sound makes the middle range appear fatter, and it really isn't. Harley riders are a great example with their dual stagger pipes, they kill hp, and torque, but they think they sound cool. And the sound gives the impression of more power

Also remember the exhaust tuners rule of thumb, short exhaust = more top end hp, less mid range, long exhaust = more torque, less top end.

H

HavBlue

Just to make sure I understand correctly... You just chopped out the middle section of pipe and left the muffler there?

I'm sure it does sound nice but I really like to see before and after dyno sheets. Alot of times the sound makes the middle range appear fatter, and it really isn't. Harley riders are a great example with their dual stagger pipes, they kill hp, and torque, but they think they sound cool. And the sound gives the impression of more power

Also remember the exhaust tuners rule of thumb, short exhaust = more top end hp, less mid range, long exhaust = more torque, less top end.

The drag pipes will kill HP Pete but the dual staggered pipes with the proper baffles in them will make a huge difference. Cycle Shack made a full system (which I use) as well as the slip on muffler marketed as Screamin Eagle. Vance and Hines made the "Straight Shots" which do exactly what you are referring to. In the case of this FZ6 I think it would have been better off gutting the can and inserting the Y pipes where the baffles were or just running a Y off the end of the existing pipe and out the gill cover.

I too would like to see those roller runs as the power band is likely pushed up the scale and It would be nice to see where it wound up.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The drag pipes will kill HP Pete but the dual staggered pipes with the proper baffles in them will make a huge difference. Cycle Shack made a full system (which I use) as well as the slip on muffler marketed as Screamin Eagle. Vance and Hines made the "Straight Shots" which do exactly what you are referring to. In the case of this FZ6 I think it would have been better off gutting the can and inserting the Y pipes where the baffles were or just running a Y off the end of the existing pipe and out the gill cover.

I too would like to see those roller runs as the power band is likely pushed up the scale and It would be nice to see where it wound up.

thanks for the clarification Charlie. I agree. gutted muffler or simple Y pipe.

that sucker has got to be loud, regardless!

It would be fun to do a step-by-step series of roller runs and see how the FZ responds. I'd really like to see the exhaust, K&N and Power Commander combination to see what the midrange does.

D

dewin82

as for the question of hitting a passengers leg no we turned down the pipes so that it shoots out the side and down slightly so it doesnt really hit the passenger. Since i have done it me and my wife have ridden on about a 200 mile round trip and she never noticed it. as far as how load it is its not bad at low rpm, but when you get to about 8k it really starts to open up. so just cruising around(which i dont normally get over 6k rpm)it is very comfortable. so not to bad cruising but sounds like a race bike when you want to get on it

D

dewin82

tried to post a video clip but it didnt work. any tips on how to do this?

D

dewin82

heres the link for the sound clip

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=WMtbxKR9Gc0"]YouTube - 2007 yamaha fz6 open exhaust[/ame]