Another noob....

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Just stumbled across this site last night - happy to see a model specific forum finally.

Bought my 2004 FZ6 last fall as my first bike - have about 3000 miles under my belt now and liking it very much.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site!! Glad you found us.

Dennis:Sport:

W

wrightme43

Welcome Welcome!!!!
Glad your here. Keep coming back, and post us up some pictures of your bike, if you will.
Any mods?

kickers92

Reaction score
Visit site
Rain

Hi everyone just came across this site what a great site. i got my fazer delivered yesterday what a bike within 10 mins of me getting it it started to rain has not stopped yet exept for half an hour here and half an hour there have not been out on it yet very frustrating (if i had hair i would be pulling it out by now) anyway i have all the right gear leathers/gloves/boots. does anyone know what the textile clothes are like they are made of kalvar. the jeans and denim jacket. are they just as safe and strong or a waste of time if anybody could let me know that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

W

wrightme43

Well I can give my opinions but no facts. Other peoples opinion are up to them.

Textile is ok for the street. Its not as good as leather.
Qualitiy is hard to guess at, but cost and reputation are sometimes a good factor.
Some companies spend huge amounts of money on advertising, and little on thier gears quality.
Others spend quite more on quality and let it speak for itself.
If you can find a shop that has a few brands of gear instock, you can usually figure it out real quick.

If you wreck in textile at speed it usually (of course there are a few that arent) will be destroyed and you will need new. In leather it can take a few wrecks.

I dont think much of the blue jeans with kevlar knees and seat. I kinda like the rest of my legs and they dont have impact armour to protect you hips and knees.

Also the little bones in your feet and hands are very very very hard to fix, read almost impossible. So good quality gloves and riding boots are important.

I am sorta of a person that is insistant on full gear. I am not in charge of what others wear, but I will try to at least let then know the consequences of the choice to ride in flipflops, shorts, A-shirt and sunglasses.

Here is a good test.
imagine your in your gear. A cruel ex girlfriend gets 1 minute with a 50 grit belt sander to screw you up. Feel safe, you got good gear. A little worried, maybe you need better gear.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, glad to have you with us.
Responding to Kickers92, sorry about the rain, I looked at a pair of Dragon pants at my local Cycle Gear store about two days ago and I was not too impressed. They look cool but had no impact protection. The guy at the store even said that he would recommend putting on a pair of knee pads on under the pants to give some impact protection.
I have textile jacket called the Cortech GX Air jacket and it has armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back. The armored areas have leather sewn over them to help give extra protection. The jacket is very breathable but not quite as protective a full leather jacket would be but I do feel it will give me adequate protection if/when I go down.
The textile pants I have are alright but I'm looking for another pair. They are a little baggier than I like but they do have knee and hip protection.
BTW I like Steves' analogy, thats a good rule of thumb. LOL