NJMP TTD Sept 18th, 19th

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I'm going to be riding with Tony's Track Days on September 18th and 19th at NJMP. I've heard from numerous people that their beginner program is excellent.

I'm really excited about my first time at the track, and I've spent a lot of time getting everything together for it. I suppose it required some money too. :p

I was just curious if anyone else around here does track days at NJMP.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
TTD puts on great track days! Their coaches are really knowledgeable and the control riders are doing a great job at managing the groups.

Not sure I will be able to make it in September, but I hope we bump into each other at NJMP in the future!

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to go but it seems like a lot of work to prepare the bike and my gear. If I had a second racing bike that I didn't have to worry about wrecking.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Prepping the bike is really not that bad.. It's a 20 minutes job with some painter's tape and a couple hex keys (make that 30 minutes if you still have the centerstand on). Suits are expensive, but you can always rent a pair of leathers for your first time..
Now as far as crashing goes.. :rolleyes:

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just going to end up leaving the center stand off. When I first got the bike I thought it would be useful for changing the oil. Then I changed the oil.

I also don't think prep is a big deal. The mirrors are most involved part. I was amused at the couple people I saw when I went to check out the track that just took their fairings off.

I've been told by experienced riders that there's no reason to be pushing it so hard that you crash on track days. It's not a race, and there's no reason to be pushing it beyond 75% of your skill level. Of course everyone makes mistakes or gets carried away sometimes, but I imagine that going into it with the mindset of, "I'm going to be so fast and have my knee on the ground day 1!" is a recipe for disaster.

I have no expectations of that my first time, but I do expect to improve my skill over what it is now and have a good time.

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been to NJMP with my RX-7 never raced the bike there they have 2 awesome tracks Lightning and Thunder I believe, usually they keep bikes to their Thunder track.

Dont forget to remove your center stand if youll be running the FZ, it is not allowed. And have fun! :)

PS lol somebody already mentioned the center stand.

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
i was just at NJMP lightning sat and sun. Thunderbolt is my favorite of the two but both are a ton of fun. The fz will do just fine. My first trackday I used stock tires which worked well but felt limiting. I then installed pilot power 2ct's and it made the bike so much more comfortable on the track allowing me to go faster with more confidence in the turns. Either way the fz will be great for your first time and it will be an awesome experience, no doubt about it. I haven't used my bike on the street for over a month now, but 4 track days in that time period :popcorn:

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no expectations of that my first time, but I do expect to improve my skill over what it is now and have a good time.

:rockon:

That's the right mindset.

Now I want a report to hear how you liked it!!

TTD doesn't require you to remove your center-stand, but I always have. I've got the whole track prep process down to about 15 minutes.

I was dying to get to these T-bolt track days with Tony, but work just killed it for me :( T-bolt is my fav <3

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I figured I would finally follow up here.

The night before I didn't sleep well at all as I was so nervous and excited about going, like a kid on Christmas.

I was a total wuss the first day, but I listened to the instructors and learned the line the best I could. The rider coaches were very helpful, and I had one give me a follow around for a lap or two almost every time out.

On the follow the leader on day 1, I drug my pegs feelers and they needed to come off. Later on the same day I drug my pegs once and realized I needed to start working on body position if I wanted to get anywhere, and at least slow down on that particular turn for now.

I slept for nine hours after the first day, and woke up ready to go. I had tons of confidence, and I was much faster even in the first session of the second day then I was the whole first day.

I proceeded to drag my kick stand around the few left turns on the second day, and hit my pegs a couple more times. I tried to begin moving my butt over so the one cheek hung off while keeping my shoulders in line with my hips, but I obviously still wasn't getting off the bike as much as I should have been.

Regardless, I had a great time and learned a lot. I went faster than I ever have on my bike, in a controlled environment. I'm certain I could learn and improve more with more track time.

I believe that my biggest improvement after the track is with braking. It's muscle memory to set and then apply after all the higher speed braking at the track, and I'm much more comfortable with using more brake.

Pictures below, be gentle with my noobness. :)

04833_RedGroup_091911.jpg

04892_RedGroup_091911.jpg

04966_RedGroup_091911.jpg

05785_RedGroup_091911.jpg

06221_RedGroup_091911.jpg

06222_RedGroup_091911.jpg

06298_RedGroup_091911.jpg

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome report! Glad you had a good time. The body position will come over time. Its definitely mental as much as physical. Tony's crew does some great bodyposition seminars between sessions. Hopefully ill see you down in Jersey next year, just bought a TTD and I'm planning on one of the earlier Jersey dates.