"old" tires, use them for the track?

2crazy2stop

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has about 8,000 on her and still has the original tires. The middle has about 1/16" tread left but the edges are basically brand new.

My question is, I am doing my 1st track day in a month or so and was wondering if I should use up my old tires on the track or put on a set of Dunlop - Roadsmart Sport Touring tires that I have in my garage.

If anyone is wondering, I had not planned on putting my bike on the track (which is why I bought the Dunlops), but I did a track day with rented KTM CR8 and was "bitten"...

Thanks,

John

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of forum members say that they burn through a set of almost new tires on just one track day. I would say try and use the old tires but bring a spare pair with you... Wouldn't want t0 have to end a track day short because your tires went bald, or if you wrecked because if it :(

Where are you going to a track day near Buffalo btw? Been trying to get to one but didn't really know any existed in WNY.

2crazy2stop

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of forum members say that they burn through a set of almost new tires on just one track day. I would say try and use the old tires but bring a spare pair with you... Wouldn't want t0 have to end a track day short because your tires went bald, or if you wrecked because if it :(

Where are you going to a track day near Buffalo btw? Been trying to get to one but didn't really know any existed in WNY.

I am going to TMP in Canada Less than 2 hours from my house, so probably 3 or less from yours

I found this site to be very helpful as well.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
YOu shoudl definitely change those tires before your track day for the following reasons:

1. With 1/16" of tread left they probably won't pass tech inspection

2. Being over 5 years old they probably won't pass tech inspection

3. You are going to make the time, put the effort in, and pay the money to go to the track and then waste the day on questionable tires that have a crappy worn profile? Makes absolutely no sense.

4. Fresh tires are cheap insurance and a great way to have confidence in your equipment so you can focus on riding

5. Fresh tires hold a line much better than square tires

6. Crashing can be very expensive. Fresh sticky tires will give you more of a safety net then old hard worn crap tires.

If this is your first track day and you're asking questions like this then you will not burn up the new sport touring tires in one track day. Likely not in 5 track days. Change the rubber and go have a blast. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No. $250 spent on tires is a heck of a lot cheaper than a crash, any crash.

2crazy2stop

Reaction score
Visit site
YOu shoudl definitely change those tires before your track day for the following reasons:

1. With 1/16" of tread left they probably won't pass tech inspection

2. Being over 5 years old they probably won't pass tech inspection

3. You are going to make the time, put the effort in, and pay the money to go to the track and then waste the day on questionable tires that have a crappy worn profile? Makes absolutely no sense.

4. Fresh tires are cheap insurance and a great way to have confidence in your equipment so you can focus on riding

5. Fresh tires hold a line much better than square tires

6. Crashing can be very expensive. Fresh sticky tires will give you more of a safety net then old hard worn crap tires.

If this is your first track day and you're asking questions like this then you will not burn up the new sport touring tires in one track day. Likely not in 5 track days. Change the rubber and go have a blast. :thumbup:

All good points, thanks. Now that I think of it, is was a pretty stupid question :spank:

New tires being put on today.

John

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i did a track day on some almost knackered tyres, they werea bit squared off and didn't have much tread left

they seemed to grip fine, though the first few sessions it felt very strange when tipping it in. By the end of the day they were pretty shredded, and probably didn't have a legal amount of tread left on them. Forgot to pump them back up and so they felt even stranger going home.

When i got a new set of tyres fitted they felt very different, and turned so much more easily.

Also if it rains then you you really don't want to be running slicks

there's usually places at the track selling part worns or new tyres, so that's an alternative too

2crazy2stop

Reaction score
Visit site
New tires on...and what a change! I didn't realize how squared off the old ones were...very glad that I changed them out.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

John