Suggestions for an interesting place to ride on east coast?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to take a long weekend trip with my gf sometime soon, does anyone here have suggestions for interesting places to visit on the east coast?

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on how far you want to travel, you might consider Acadia National Park in Maine. The trip might be too much for a long weekend . . . One memorable hike was the *ahem* Great Head Trail.

Joe

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i really do not care which direction, some considerations are asheville, nc and possibly somewhere in Canada.

I just want to go somewhere a little different to get away from all the stress I have been going through at work.

Yasso

Reaction score
Visit site
There are a lot of covered bridges in Vermont and New Hampshire. I'm sure some from that area would be able to suggest routes.

You may also want to consider the Adirondacks in upstate New York. The weather should be slightly cooler than the south and there are many great mountain roads to ride on. Lake Placid is a fun Olympic Town and there are some great rides you could do from there.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Acadia National Park. If you come this way be sure to let me know cuz I'll buy you a beer. My wife and I may join you too. we're right on the way. Have a good trip.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Acadia National Park. If you come this way be sure to let me know cuz I'll buy you a beer. My wife and I may join you too. we're right on the way. Have a good trip.

Thanks I may do that :) I do love the new england states, I used to run up to RI all the time in the summer a few years back. Once we pick a date to head up, possibly leave on a Wednesday and come back on a Sunday I will post more details and then maybe you guys could help me work up a route with the least amount of interstate riding as possible lol.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
New England is a great place to ride. It can be as desolate or as populated as the route you chose. If you head up here, I'd take the highway through New York and jump off somewhere near route 7 or 8 around Danbury. From there you'll find "postcard" worthy towns all the way up to the Canadian border.

If you'd like some route suggestions I'd be more than happy to help.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
North Georgia has some great places. There's a little bikes-only motor inn/B&B-type place called Two Wheels Only, a bunch of waterfalls, the AT goes across a lot of it if you like hiking. One of my favorite roads is 348 - Richard B. Russel scenic parkway. Mainly because even on weekends it has little traffic. But it has a harsh surface and chews up tires. Helen, Ga is a touristy spot that a lot of bikers go to and stay at. The roads near it are great. A lot of people ride to Deal's Gap in NC and ride the Tail of the Dragon. It's a little far for a day ride for me. Mr. McBride is putting together a ride for this weekend, I think. He knows many places in Georgia to go. It may be hot here this time of year, though. I'd check a forecast.

Yesterday I stopped at Neel's Gap, an AT crossing with a camp store where a bunch of bikes are usually sitting on the weekends. They have a nice picnic area, and this cat called me over to pet her. Apparently this is her bed:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want twists, mountains, nice people, zero traffic, and the ability to forget about everything stressful, I cannot recommend Vermont enough. It is Motorcycle Disneyland. NH is pretty, but all the "pretty" is clumped together in one tight, trafficy bunch up north. Vermont is spread out all over the place, with way fewer tourists.

Check the map for Route 100, it goes North-South through the state and it's dotted with cute towns.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
North Georgia has some great places. There's a little bikes-only motor inn/B&B-type place called Two Wheels Only, a bunch of waterfalls, the AT goes across a lot of it if you like hiking. One of my favorite roads is 348 - Richard B. Russel scenic parkway. Mainly because even on weekends it has little traffic. But it has a harsh surface and chews up tires. Helen, Ga is a touristy spot that a lot of bikers go to and stay at. The roads near it are great. A lot of people ride to Deal's Gap in NC and ride the Tail of the Dragon. It's a little far for a day ride for me. Mr. McBride is putting together a ride for this weekend, I think. He knows many places in Georgia to go. It may be hot here this time of year, though. I'd check a forecast.

Yesterday I stopped at Neel's Gap, an AT crossing with a camp store where a bunch of bikes are usually sitting on the weekends. They have a nice picnic area, and this cat called me over to pet her. Apparently this is her bed:

With all the squid crash pics and semi trucks smashing people on deals gap I am not sure i would want to run that lol. Are the squids and people riding on the wrong side of the rad really that bad there? Thanks for the info and love the pic, is that your cat?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want twists, mountains, nice people, zero traffic, and the ability to forget about everything stressful, I cannot recommend Vermont enough. It is Motorcycle Disneyland. NH is pretty, but all the "pretty" is clumped together in one tight, trafficy bunch up north. Vermont is spread out all over the place, with way fewer tourists.

Check the map for Route 100, it goes North-South through the state and it's dotted with cute towns.

I am sort of leaning to the new england area, I love it up there. Thanks for the info, I will do some research on that area.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are head to this area: NY/CT has a few nice roads. I'm actually planning a trip next weekend - some twisties, but mostly scenic stuff:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-g...3th-tentative-ny-rt-9-9d-9w-along-hudson.html

also, rt 22 in New York, along CT border. I usually ride up to tri-state point via 63, have a brunch in a place called Country Bistro in Salisbury, stop by Harney's & Sons tearoom in Millerton and then head back down on rt 22, crossing over to US7 stopping by the covered bridge - any of those stretches are really nice.

also to consider: rt 37 - twisties, rt 109

have fun!!!!

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With all the squid crash pics and semi trucks smashing people on deals gap I am not sure i would want to run that lol. Are the squids and people riding on the wrong side of the rad really that bad there? Thanks for the info and love the pic, is that your cat?

It's pretty squiddy. If I don't keep my eye on my rear view, it's a pretty safe bet that once or twice a day on a nice weekend a squid will pass me by just sharing the lane with me. No flashing of lights, beeping the horn or anything. Not cool. I'm not a big fan of passing cars on two-lane without the dashes and a good view, but I'm in the minority as far as non-cruiser riders go. I did once see a sport bike wrecked in 2008, but I'm a pretty low-mileage rider. If I rode more I'd see more.

The cat seems to own the trailhead picnic area at Neel's Gap. Or at least that rock. Not sure if she's fed by people or just allowed to make her home there.