ACH ride on Friday

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Vegasrider, Calirider, Derek(from Vegas) and myself went for a little ride on ACH Friday. We started in Wrightwood at the Grizzly Cafe, Yum, and went through to La Canada-Flintridge. Here is a couple of video's, first one is from the junction of Hwy39 to the CalTrans blockade. We waited a little over 30 minutes for CalTrans to blow up a boulder, heard the count down and then BOOOOOM, echoed off the mountains really well. The second video is just me riding back toward Wrightwood. They were shot with a Drift Innovations 170HD Stealth that I just got. I just left the audio as it was recorded so as not to pi$$ off YouTube:rolleyes: I really like the results:thumbup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQqTVSsoGRc&feature=player_detailpage]‪ACH ride July 29, 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRjUKrfRq0&feature=player_detailpage]‪ACH July 29, 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Jerry

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Jerry, Derek and I will be riding back up thru ACH again on Sunday. This morning, we got together with Mike "McLovin" and rode up and down Ojai and around Lake Casitas down to the 101. Mike was also kind enough to take us on a short ride around the Malibu hills last night too. We tackled the famous snake of Muholland Dr.

Tonight, Derek and I did the touristy thing and ate dinner at the Neptune Net in Malibu. The highlight was not the food, but the ride over. We took Hwy 23. South (Decker Canyon Rd.) it has to be the tightest road I have ever ridden. Unbelievabe turns and view of the Pacific. I will post up pictures for the entire trip once I get back home.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the videos Jerry. :thumbup:
Makes having to work yesterday and this morning a little more tolerable having your videos to watch while stuck in the salt mines this morning. :Flip::D

Last edited:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Yea Lefty, I tried that working thing and found I didn't care for it:BLAA:
Took a few stills too--
Kenny
P10009351024x768.jpg

John
P10009401024x768.jpg

Derek
P10009391024x768.jpg

The bikes
P10009361024x768.jpg

Jerry

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a fancy suit you have there John!

And Kenny....how many miles do you have now?!? You're racking them up.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm jealous!!!! Thank you for the video and pics! That camera is nice!
Looks like you guys had great weather and hey! I know that pull out! :D

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for yesterday guys... I had an ignition coil that needed to be replaced... probably something of my doing as I changed the plugs last wkd... I was happy it happened 1/2 mile from John's house and not up in the mountains! John helped me put a new coil in yesterday so I'm good to go again :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Worst ride back from California to date. But the past couple of days were a blast, thanks to John, Jerry and Mike, just made the trip even better.

John pulling into one of the ACH turnouts.
P1010486.jpg

Derek from Vegas pulling into the same place.
P1010485.jpg

Our bikes.
P1010490.jpg

Here's Jerry taking a Siesta while we wait for the road to open back up. Notice all the bikes, there were only two cagers for the 30 minutes.
P1010492.jpg

The viewpoint overlooking the "Snake" of Muholland Dr.
P1010496.jpg

A view of Ojai Hwy.
P1010507.jpg

Here's Mike aka "McLovin", posing which somehow has become a forum tradition. Add him to the list.
P1010497.jpg

Checking out Derek's ride. Kawi Zx6r
P1010500.jpg

Checking out Mike's naked ride.
P1010501.jpg

Mike coming around one of the corners coming down Ojai.
P1010505.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
reserved for more pics

Derek
P1010504.jpg

On the 101
P1010508.jpg

P1010515.jpg

P1010519.jpg

P1010520.jpg

Dinner time at the Neptune Net near Malibu.
P1010524.jpg

P1010527.jpg

Kite Surfing.
P1010530.jpg

Hwy 23 south to Malibu. Very narrow road and very tight twisty turns. It was just sick, but the view. Wow!
P1010522.jpg

Now on the ride back from LA, we took ACH back up to Wrightwood. Saw 6 CHP's (2 bikes, 4 cruiser) all between La Canada and Newcombs. Thank god for that School Bus. LOL... It was so funny, every rider I passed we both were tapping our helmets and I didn't have enough fingers on my hand to inform them how many were waiting below.

Then the rain, started pouring leaving Newcombs. Stopped at the Grizzly Cafe for breakfast, and kind of dry out. Then we left again in the rain. Considering the conditions, against my better judgement, I decided to take Lonepine Canyon Road versus taking the longer way around to I-15. The road was washed out with a lot of rock, grave, sand and silt. Going around the top of one of the hills taking a left hander going about 40mph. I hit the gray silt and my front end went down immediately. I took a head first baseball type slide, landing on my left knee and then my left arm as I watched my GPS and bike slide down the road. I guess the bike slides much faster and farther than me. I got up immediately and my entire left side was all caked with gray silt. Tore my left forearm area of my jacket. Both my jacket and pants did it's job as well as the slider, once again, very minimal damage to the bike. Derek saw the whole thing and he couldn't believe how quickly I was on my way down the road.

Honestly, if I did not have my riding pantss on, I would have broken my knee cap, and would have not been able to ride home. I would have been carted away in an ambulance. But in just less than 60 seconds, I was riding away.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good you're okay Kenny! I hate that front end washing out on silt wet or dry!
Great pictures!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And Kenny....how many miles do you have now?!? You're racking them up.

66,800 miles

Sorry for yesterday guys... I had an ignition coil that needed to be replaced... probably something of my doing as I changed the plugs last wkd... I was happy it happened 1/2 mile from John's house and not up in the mountains! John helped me put a new coil in yesterday so I'm good to go again :)

Buell, Huh!

Great pics and glad your OK.
Lone Pine Canyon gets really nasty since the big fire took out all the vegetation.

Jerry

Now you tell me.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny, sorry to read this. Are you ok now that some time has passed?

I am fine. Like I said, I was literraly on my bike in less than sixty seconds. Derek just could not believe how anyone can get back up and ride the bike after seeing how hard we both went down.

Once again, cannot stress the importance of wearing all your safety gear and having frame sliders. That was the difference. Otherwise, it's an automatic ambulance ride to the hospital and a tow truck, plus who knows how long to recover plus and the missed time from work, and the medical bills.

Nobody can plan on crashing. Totally my bad, nobody to blame but myself. Could have this been avoided? Absolutely, I could have seeked an alternate route, I could have proceeded much slower, or not even attempted to ride at all. But I am hard core and I was willing to take the risk. Just like other riders who are willing to sacrifice broken bones and scars for life by wearing no armour at all. Nobody should feel sorry for me and I do not feel sorry for anyone else as long as we all understand the consequences. I'm just glad that I can share this experience to prove that gearing up pays off big time. Yes, no amount amount of gear will save your life in certain situations, but in this case, it did.

You needed to be wearing armour head to toe to walk and ride away from a crash like this.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I am fine. Like I said, I was literraly on my bike in less than sixty seconds. Derek just could not believe how anyone can get back up and ride the bike after seeing how hard we both went down.

Once again, cannot stress the importance of wearing all your safety gear and having frame sliders. That was the difference. Otherwise, it's an automatic ambulance ride to the hospital and a tow truck, plus who knows how long to recover plus and the missed time from work, and the medical bills.

Nobody can plan on crashing. Totally my bad, nobody to blame but myself. Could have this been avoided? Absolutely, I could have seeked an alternate route, I could have proceeded much slower, or not even attempted to ride at all. But I am hard core and I was willing to take the risk. Just like other riders who are willing to sacrifice broken bones and scars for life by wearing no armour at all. Nobody should feel sorry for me and I do not feel sorry for anyone else as long as we all understand the consequences. I'm just glad that I can share this experience to prove that gearing up pays off big time. Yes, no amount amount of gear will save your life in certain situations, but in this case, it did.

You needed to be wearing armour head to toe to walk and ride away from a crash like this.

Glad you made it out fine Kenny. **** happens.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I was glad to see you out riding Mikey! Plan for a ride down here soon. :D

Yes, first real ride after the injury. I had very little pain on the wrist though. I am looking forward to a plan over there. Havent been on palomar since last years group ride!