riding at night

RustyBasterd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I was wondering what kind of advice you can give on riding at night and trying to look into turns (on/off ramps) when you cant see far into the turn. Yes im sure some of you will say just go slower. But is there any other advice you might have?

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, if you don't know the road you and you are riding at night you can only ride as fast as your headlights will let you. Even if you do know the road you really shouldn't out ride your lights.
On another note, I'm not sure I can remember a time that it was so dark that I couldn't see all the way around an on/off ramp or really most places. I guess the light pollution here is pretty bad.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You got it! From my experience the last couple of times riding back from Erci's house. Stay alert, slow down, and look as far as possible into turns. :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
also check your headlight is level, i usually run mine on hi-beam if there's no oncoming traffic as it can be quite weak

as said though slow down, even if you can see the road, at dusk and nighttime it's much more likely you'll get animals on the road

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Just spitballing here but you could look into a light bar or utility lights if you really wanted, they'd help a bit but not sure i'd do it

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
First thing I did after my first night ride was to change out the dim yamaha bulbs with brighter ones.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just one other thing I'd suggest besides slowing down and making sure you're not outriding your headlight: whenever possible, use cars' headlights to light the road for you. Obviously this won't always work for off ramps (can't expect one to always take the ramp just before you), but in general if you follow a car at safe distance it helps a great deal!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hello, I was wondering what kind of advice you can give on riding at night and trying to look into turns (on/off ramps) when you cant see far into the turn. Yes im sure some of you will say just go slower. But is there any other advice you might have?

It may sound sort of odd, but the aim of your headlights is going to be affected by how much brake dive you have. The OEM fork springs are pretty weak, dual rate units.... the chassis of the bike 'dives' on braking, which aims your head lights closer to the bike.

Stiffer springs will keep the headlights aimed where they are supposed to be.

The FZ6 is not known for having exceptional lighting. The HID projector option is by far the best approach to increasing the amount of available photons.

Another note of caution; night vision REALLY starts to drop off as you age. And I mean right around 40 years old. Get your eyes checked.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first modern bike('08 Raven). Compared to what I used to ride,(old Hondas(90-305 CC,Hodaka's, '60s and 70s Harley hogs with sidecars(drove like dump-trucks with broken power steering!),BSA 500, 650 Lightning & 441 Victor, BMW-600 & 750r5,Yamaha 650 Specials, 650 Bonnevilles (including TT) other 500 & 650 Triumphs, '56 Sportster(6 volt), Cushman Eagle(also 6 volts) almost forgot Sears's 106 Super-sport!! You name it,I've probably ridden it! NONE of them had half of the lighting power of the of my Fizzy! Don't get me wrong,I could use more light,, who couldn't?? But what you get stock aint bad at all!! I'm very happy with what comes from the factory(except for needing moded for dual low-beams)! Just gotta go slower when dark, No lights will make it look like day! :rockon: Rich

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site

I worked midnights for two years and the biggest thing I found that kept me safe was to religiously scan the side of the road. Watch for animals, those will be your biggest problem besides drunks and stupid people at night time.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the brighter bulbs(philips xtreme power) and slowing down

i also wear a reflective belt over my jacket like this: (but black n silver)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Ideas-Around-Reflective-Belt/dp/B002CJC9K6http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Ideas-Around-Reflective-Belt/dp/B002CJC9K6]Amazon.com: Bright Ideas RB3 All Around Reflective Belt and Sash: Automotive[/ame]

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From a rider in Australia, watch out or wildlife! We have kangaroos etc that jump out of nowhere. ALWAYS look to the side of the road. You never know what's waiting for you :eek:

Riding in the dark was always something that scared me, but once I'd done it, realised it wasn't that bad after all :)

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
Dual Headlight Mod... the best thing you can do besides riding with the high beams on when possible... and upgrading to brighter bulbs... outside that and scanning the road... the only other option is to reduce your speed...