Using Kawasaki 4 Oil?

temay

Reaction score
Visit site
I called my local shop today to ask about getting my oil changed. I asked them what they would be putting in it, and they told me Kawasaki 4 with a hi-flow oil filter. I used the search function and didn't get any hits. What does everyone think about this? Should I just buy yamalube and do it myself?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I think you should do it yourself. Not because they use Kawasaki oil, nothing wrong with it. But why pay someone to do something as easy as changing oil.

S

Shamus McFeeley

Kawasaki oil is green and purple

Yamaha oil is blue, sometimes blue and white.

You can't mix the colors or risk invoking the wrath of the moto-gods.

S

Shamus McFeeley

You can do it yourself for about $25. Is your time worth the $10?

Not to mention the fact that nobody will take care of your expensive stuff as good as you will. Peace of mind can be worth a lot.

temay

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah,

Thanks guys,

I think i'll try to do it myself this weekend, the only reason I wanted to check in the first place is because I don't have any tools for taking off the oil filter. I think I can work something out, but I'm always open to suggestions :D

temay

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah,

Thanks guys,

I think i'll try to do it myself this weekend, the only reason I wanted to check in the first place is because I don't have any tools for taking off the oil filter. I think I can work something out, but I'm always open to suggestions :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah,

Thanks guys,

Try loosening it by hand first, if that doesn't work just jam a screwdriver through it, side to side, and twist it off.

Then use a K&N oil filter as they have a 17mm nut welded on to them. It makes it much easier to remove it.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You can get oil filter cap wrench for 4 or 5 dollars. Then you won't have to worry about it ever again.