Bags-Connection Cargobag tailbag and Shorty tank bag

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
So a quick review after my first longer ride with my new luggage system.
The bags are these:
Cargobag tailbag
Shorty magnet tank bag

bought from HK Bikeparts which saved me a bunch compared to buying from the official distributor in my home country (and even got me a bag of gum bears included :D - excellent service, shop is recommended).

Pics of bags on my bike attached. Will try for better pics when the weather clears up.

Overall impression: High build quality, well thought through space division and attachment, good fit for the fz6. Biggest drawback: dry bag for tank bag is useless.

Cargobag tailbag
:
Sits across the oh s*** bars and attaches by straps to the frame in front and D-rings installed behind the license plate in back. First attach is a bit of a PITA because the instructions are not too good. After that it's a one minute job on/off.

One large central compartment with internal drybag. Two smaller side comps with out drybags. One small front comp concealing the carrying handle. Everything zips. External compression straps included.

The bag seems well designed and built. Especially like the Fits a change of clothes, spare shoes, tent (on top), mat, sleeping bag, toiletries and odds and ends. Not enough space for more than a week's worth of travel unless you have washing options.
The sides of the bag sit fairly high when the main comp is full and don't touch the stock exhausts. The material is fairly water resistant, so the lack of drybags in the sides is no prob. I did 45mins in pouring rain, stopped to get out my fleece from the side pocket and it was perfectly dry.

All in all: 4 out of 5. Biggest drawback: Lack of proper carrying system (shoulder strap or some such). If I had to upgrade I would go Kriega or Givi.

Shorty mag tank bag: I went with the mag option instead of the tank cap quick lock system to avoid having the ugly mount on my tank and I'm sorted out enough to make sure there's no stuff attached to the back of my bag (I think).

The bag fit's nicely to the tank and is the same high build quality as the cargobag. Main compartment divided into two which is very handy. Fits quite a lot of gear (I didn't manage to fill it up). Also has a front pocket for your cell phone/gps which juuuust fit my ruggerdized HTC Desire HD (rather a huge phone). The clear window for using the phone as a gps sat a little low on the tank I thought but that is probably a positioning thing.

As opposed to the Cargobag the drybag is an external raincover on this. It was rubbish. It was quite a lot too big (for ease of mounting I suppose) and cinches tight with a draw cord at the bottom. First off it was impossible to get tight so it was flapping around on the bag when at speed. Second the plastic lock on the drawcords sat against the tank and had to be actually stuck between bag and tank to get it even moderately tight. Despite riding for almost two hours in the rain I ended up taking off the cover and sticking it in the bag to get rid of it.

On the plus side it seems the bag sits pretty much out of the rain on the tank when riding and it was barely wet on the outside and not at all on the inside when I arrived.

All in all: 3,5 out of 5. The bag is excellent, the gps pocket window sits a little low. The rain cover is rubbish. Thinking about modding it by replacing the draw cords with an elastic band.

I must say I am very very pleased with my new bags. Hope this helps you guys. Questions are welcome.

PS: Currently it isn't letting me upload photos. Will try again later. In the mean time look in the bike in touring mode on page 21 where my bike is.