First long trip DISASTER!!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just got back home(bronx, ny) from wildwood, nj w the girlfriend on our first long trip on the fz6. on the way there we had a big problem! the crank case plug came off on the highway and was spitting out oil everywhere!! the day before the trip i double checked the bike for everything and made sure everything was tight! i guess the plug wasnt tight enough! :spank:
GOD was on our side bc my butt started hurting so i pulled off on the closest rest stop. this is wen i noticed something on my jeans and when i got off the bike oil was all over on the frame, swingarm, hugger, and crank case cover!!!!!! :eek:

so i go into the gas station and ask for paper towels and asked someone if they had something to plug it up with.. unfortunately NO!! :spank:

so i saw they had radiator hose tape... i had to be mcguiver and make a bootleg plug as a temp. so i balled it up big enough to cover and fit in the hole a lil bit and tape it on snug.

i ask one of the mechanic if there were any bike shops close by and he knew of one....called 411 and got the number to the store and a guy picked up saying that they were closed on mondays:mad:....i asked him if there were any places where i go or call to pick up a replacement and he said most bike shops around there are closed on mondays and most likely they would have to place the part on order anyway and says to try to find a wine bottle cork to plug it up :confused:...so now im more worried then mad.

my plan was to go to the closest autoparts store around and buy quick steel to plug it up. i used it b4 and its good up to like 600degrees. had to pass by seaside heights, nj (known for the show JERSEY SHORE). found the autozone and bought the quick steel and made a cap and taped it with the radiator hose tape.

this is what i bought:
photo1-2.jpg

this is how i turned out:
photo3-3.jpg

here you can see it with the tape over it:
photo.jpg

the cap was good it stopped A LOT of it from coming out but some still did..just a couple of drips.

on the road i would check it every ten mins.
made it to wildwood and added more quick steel and sealed it for good!!!:D

called my local yamaha in wildwood to see if they had a replacement plug! they did!! when i got back home i drove my car to the yamaha place and picked a new plug and gasket for $18...all is good so far now i just gotta worry about the sticky residue the tape left and little chunks of quick steel around the hole i gotta take off.

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!!:thumbup:

Does anyone know how to get bits of this quick steel off the case I'm bout to tear off my finger nails lol??

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!!:thumbup:

Does anyone know how to get bits of this quick steel off the case I'm bout to tear off my finger nails lol??

Get a piece of hardwood, maybe 6" long and 1" square. Sand or file one end into a chisel edge and use this to scrape or dislodge. It will be strong enough to wedge between the two materials and NOT scratch the aluminum cover.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just got back home(bronx, ny) from wildwood, nj w the girlfriend on our first long trip on the fz6. on the way there we had a big problem! the crank case plug came off on the highway and was spitting out oil everywhere!! the day before the trip i double checked the bike for everything and made sure everything was tight! i guess the plug wasnt tight enough! :spank:
GOD was on our side bc my butt started hurting so i pulled off on the closest rest stop. this is wen i noticed something on my jeans and when i got off the bike oil was all over on the frame, swingarm, hugger, and crank case cover!!!!!! :eek:

so i go into the gas station and ask for paper towels and asked someone if they had something to plug it up with.. unfortunately NO!! :spank:

so i saw they had radiator hose tape... i had to be mcguiver and make a bootleg plug as a temp. so i balled it up big enough to cover and fit in the hole a lil bit and tape it on snug.

i ask one of the mechanic if there were any bike shops close by and he knew of one....called 411 and got the number to the store and a guy picked up saying that they were closed on mondays:mad:....i asked him if there were any places where i go or call to pick up a replacement and he said most bike shops around there are closed on mondays and most likely they would have to place the part on order anyway and says to try to find a wine bottle cork to plug it up :confused:...so now im more worried then mad.

my plan was to go to the closest autoparts store around and buy quick steel to plug it up. i used it b4 and its good up to like 600degrees. had to pass by seaside heights, nj (known for the show JERSEY SHORE). found the autozone and bought the quick steel and made a cap and taped it with the radiator hose tape.

this is what i bought:
photo1-2.jpg

this is how i turned out:
photo3-3.jpg

here you can see it with the tape over it:
photo-5.jpg

the cap was good it stopped A LOT of it from coming out but some still did..just a couple of drips.

on the road i would check it every ten mins.
made it to wildwood and added more quick steel and sealed it for good!!!:D

called my local yamaha in wildwood to see if they had a replacement plug! they did!! when i got back home i drove my car to the yamaha place and picked a new plug and gasket for $18...all is good so far now i just gotta worry about the sticky residue the tape left and little chunks of quick steel around the hole i gotta take off.
Well done, and what a great story.

Nelly

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a disasterous trip like that a few years ago. I'm glad everything worked out for you though.

You just have to take the girl on 2-3 SUCCESSFUl trips now so she starts to really enjoy it!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a piece of hardwood, maybe 6" long and 1" square. Sand or file one end into a chisel edge and use this to scrape or dislodge. It will be strong enough to wedge between the two materials and NOT scratch the aluminum cover.

damn i should have used a peice of wood! i just used a plastic ruler and some cardboard box lol

Well done, and what a great story.

thanks man!

Nelly

I had a disasterous trip like that a few years ago. I'm glad everything worked out for you though.

You just have to take the girl on 2-3 SUCCESSFUl trips now so she starts to really enjoy it!

what happened on ur trip? if u dont mind sharing

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
what happened on ur trip? if u dont mind sharing

My first bike was a Honda Shadow 750. I rode it about 400 miles up to a vacation house I rented with my and my g/f. The place was desolate (no cable, no satellite, etc). First, it rained 200/ 400 miles up there and hailed the last 30. One night while covering my bike with a tarp, I must have flipped the key to the ON position. Didn't see the headlight on through the tarp. Went to start it 2-3 days later and it was dead. With inexperience by my side, i jumped the battery off my Jeep. It started the bike, and it ran just long enough to get me 10 miles from the house, when what was left of the battery failed. With no cell phone and literally NO ONE around, I had to hitchhike back to the cottage. Paid 185$ to have my bike towed 80 miles to the nearest bike shop. Another 100$ for a new battery and 2 totally wasted days of vacation taking care of the whole situation.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting story ..... never heard of oil fil plug rotating loose, I usually find I have to give a strong tug to break the o-ring seal. I use a replacement Yoshimura plug on my FZ1 ..... it's good for 10 extra hp. :D

standard.jpg

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was a Honda Shadow 750. I rode it about 400 miles up to a vacation house I rented with my and my g/f. The place was desolate (no cable, no satellite, etc). First, it rained 200/ 400 miles up there and hailed the last 30. One night while covering my bike with a tarp, I must have flipped the key to the ON position. Didn't see the headlight on through the tarp. Went to start it 2-3 days later and it was dead. With inexperience by my side, i jumped the battery off my Jeep. It started the bike, and it ran just long enough to get me 10 miles from the house, when what was left of the battery failed. With no cell phone and literally NO ONE around, I had to hitchhike back to the cottage. Paid 185$ to have my bike towed 80 miles to the nearest bike shop. Another 100$ for a new battery and 2 totally wasted days of vacation taking care of the whole situation.

damn!:( NO CELL PHONE!! i felt the same i was worrying most of the time which kinda ruined plans.

Interesting story ..... never heard of oil fil plug rotating loose, I usually find I have to give a strong tug to break the o-ring seal. I use a replacement Yoshimura plug on my FZ1 ..... it's good for 10 extra hp. :D

standard.jpg

i swear on my life i double checked everything b4 i left. i am very anal about safety precautions especially on the bike:eyebrow:...idk wat it was. like a freak accident:confused:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard of this happening before...was on the previous gen R6 at the race track, actually.

I got the clips from a friend but you can get them at lowes or home depot, etc.

Better safe than sorry...call me a freak...mistakes happen but this will never happen to me on my FZ6.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard of this happening before...was on the previous gen R6 at the race track, actually.

I got the clips from a friend but you can get them at lowes or home depot, etc.

Better safe than sorry...call me a freak...mistakes happen but this will never happen to me on my FZ6.

I'll stop by home depot when i get the chance. Thanks man!:thumbup:

Please tell me that you checked your oil level and just didn't mention it.

lol of course! i bought a quart of sunoco's 10w40 and added some oil and kept it w me the whole ride back and forth

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll stop by home depot when i get the chance. Thanks man!:thumbup:

lol of course! i bought a quart of sunoco's 10w40 and added some oil and kept it w me the whole ride back and forth

Do you know if that 10w40 is "energy conserving"? If it is, I'd change your oil to get that stuff out of there to save your clutch. Obviously, topping off with it isn't going to be nearly as bad as using purely that, but it's still there.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

standard.jpg

That looks great

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've performed over 20 oil changes on my bike, and everytime I have to use a pair of pliers to get my plug off. I screw the plug back on by hand, but it takes a pair of pliers to unscrew them each time.

I have known other rider's oil plugs coming off during their ride, here on this forum too from simply having some jerk unscrewing them as some sort of joke. Harley riders? Maybe this happenned to you?