Weird NJ Ride #4

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Found a few places I was hoping to find on this ride and mapped out a route: 3 Dewitt Ln, Hillsborough, NJ 08844 to 498 Cafferty Rd, Erwinna, PA 18920 - Google Maps

motojoe122 came all the way up from Cape May to join me on this ride. My friend Dave also chimed in at the last moment.

We sat off for our first destination: MARY'S TOWER

I knew we would be on a dirt road for a little bit and sure enough we found it. We came upon several abandoned and collapsed buildings. I stopped my engine was was about to take off my helmet and start snapping pictures.. when an older lady walked out, smoking a cigarette and giving us all a stink eye. I asked as politely as I could "Hi, I'm sorry are we in your driveway?" She replied in a raspy voice "yes, this is a private driveway". "Oh, I'm very sorry.. we'll turn around right now".. and so we did.. no pictures :(
I think she's just living in one those abandoned houses .. no mailboxes or anything, but oh well.

Our next destination was one of the Lehigh Valley railroad tunnel entrances. I followed my GPS and sure enough we once again ended up on a short chunk of dirt road again.. and then the road just ended! I stopped and looked my GPS and it said we were only .2 miles away from the tunnel. There was a perfectly ride-able looking road up ahead, but it was gated off.
We decided to explore it on foot. I'm sad to say we didn't find the railroad tunnel, but we DID find a very cool abandoned GM front end (would be cool to figure out what it used to be) and a pretty massive drop off point.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

more...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Next stop was the Volendam Windmill (and a cool brick house right next to it for bonus points). Shockingly, we found this one without any trouble. Very cool structure:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

more...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Final destination was Van Sant airport. As always, it was full of cool planes AND bikes (check out the interesting FZ6.. wonder if it belongs to a forum member)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

more...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last set of pictures (all from Van Sant)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very fun day of riding with friends! Wish we all could do this more often. Video coming soon!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope I am not offending a forum-member... but that mirror-modified FZ6 just looks wrong to me? Either go naked or keep the angry bee look with antenna mirrors I say!
And he/she only fitted that extra round rearview mirror on the left handlebar :confused: That has to have some small negative effect on highspeed stability (having to countersteer a tiny bit)?

BTW fantastic photos and thanks for sharing!
I have to get better at taking a break and taking photos...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope I am not offending a forum-member... but that mirror-modified FZ6 just looks wrong to me? Either go naked or keep the angry bee look with antenna mirrors I say!
And he/she only fitted that extra round rearview mirror on the left handlebar :confused: That has to have some small negative effect on highspeed stability (having to countersteer a tiny bit)?

I'm with ya. Not a fan of those mirrors, but I kind of dig the chopped screen. Very unique look. Left-side only mirror is common in several states. It's all that's required to pass the inspection in some places.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with ya. Not a fan of those mirrors, but I kind of dig the chopped screen. Very unique look. Left-side only mirror is common in several states. It's all that's required to pass the inspection in some places.

I guess I am exaggerating about the negative effect on highspeed stability. That little left mirror is very small and I know that I wouldn't feel any instability just because I lifted one finger from the grip at 100mph :)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Wow a silver ZRX usually only see them in green, my brother has a blue one.

Also hope you don't have to ride behind the KH 750. ;)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pictures!

The fazer is the 2005 flavor with pig-spotter mirrors. The Kawi 750 is a 2 stroke!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The pics and the video came out great! The ride home was a little rougher this time, felt hotter than earlier and a strong head wind. And the chocolate's got me some brownie points!:rockon:

Thanks again for a great ride Eric.