Chain becoming loose...

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

A little overview before i start with the problem. I got my 2005 FZ6 last week, it has 35 000km on it (yes 35K). The first thing i did since it's been standing in a garage all winter is to get an oil change, charge the battery, and tension the chain.

I only put about 250km on it since i got it, and the chain is loose once more. I called the garage, and they told me that they will tighten the chain again, but if the problem persists it's a sign that the chain is finished.

Is this really the case? Or did the garage do a bad job of tightening the bolts on the wheels when they did it the first time?

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
With those miles, changing out the chain couldn't heart.

I guess you first need to determine if it is loose because of chain failure and not the axle nut or dive chain slack bolt.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, i'll tell em to check those tomorrow...

or better yet, how do i do it myself after i get the bike.... i don't have a torque wrench with wich to properly check though.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, i'll tell em to check those tomorrow...

or better yet, how do i do it myself after i get the bike.... i don't have a torque wrench with wich to properly check though.
You need to get one pronto then mate. Is there evidence that the rear sprocket teeth are hooked? When you run the chain along by pushing the rear wheel in the normal direction of travel is there more than one tight spot?

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
You need to get one pronto then mate. Is there evidence that the rear sprocket teeth are hooked? When you run the chain along by pushing the rear wheel in the normal direction of travel is there more than one tight spot?

I'm gonna go in the garage and check right now

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
ok.... So i went and checked the rear sprocket... no chipped/hooked/torn teeth. No tight spots. There is however a clicking sound when i turn the wheel... and i suspect it's the ball bearing that is making that noise... is it normal that the balls hit eachother as i turn the wheel, or am i missing a ball?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok.... So i went and checked the rear sprocket... no chipped/hooked/torn teeth. No tight spots. There is however a clicking sound when i turn the wheel... and i suspect it's the ball bearing that is making that noise... is it normal that the balls hit eachother as i turn the wheel, or am i missing a ball?
The bearings are caged so that is unlikely, is the sound the same when you turn the wheel both ways. I think the sound you are getting is the chain not moving over the teeth smoothly. Possible causes, worn sprockets, worn chain, both or out of line. How much play is there in the chain when you move it side to side?

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
i dont know about side to side, but vertically it touches the chain guide and it still has a bit of slack left.

S

sportrider

check the rollers, if there is a bunch of slop in them or the chain is binding replace it. an OEM replacement will set you back about $115.00 it's money well spent. replacing the chain yourself will save you some money also, it's pretty easy to do with some basic tools you probably already have laying around your garage.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when the chain on my old bike wore out i had to tension it every 3 days and lube it every day until my parts came in to replace it. Sounds like it is time for a new chain.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm... went back in to the garage to check the chain again... and somehow i think i checked the slack in the wrong place, because it seems to be tight now...

the rollers however have a lot of play in them, I don't know how much is too much. But i'm gonna do an overhaul on the sprokets/chain on my next paycheck. this way i'll have piece of mind for the summer.