My pucker moment

Jabarker

Reaction score
Visit site
So this has been my worst close call. And funny enough, I've seen a few videos lately with guys getting in to accidents because they're going too fast and they don't see the driver coming from the street/driveway to their right.

So I'm headed down a four lane street with a center turn lane. It was a deserted ish kind of area and the speed limit is 45mph. I'm the only person on the road for a few lights. And I have dual HID projectors.

I traveling along when I see a AAA tow truck pulling up to the driveway to pull on to the street. I see him. He's moving pretty slow. He comes to a stop and then slowly pulls out in to the #2 lane (closest to the curb). I'm already in the #1 lane so I'm still watching him but continuing on in my lane. I get to a point were I think, ok I'm going to pass him when he swerves to the left and starts to make a u-turn from the #2 lane.

It's amazing how fast it all happens. My thought process was
"Fukc.. Ok e-brake and slow as much as possible. He's either going to see me and stop right in front of me or he's going to complete the u-turn. Ok he sees me and stopped in front of me. Swerve left or right? Left is the shortest distance. He's blocking two lanes. Is there oncoming traffic? No. Ok. Safe."

So I go around him on the wrong side of the road. And then there's a lot of cussing after that. I'm a cop and I think back now and wish I had stopped, yelled at him, got all his info, called the tow company and sent his a$$ a ticket in the mail. But I was so focused on not crashing that I continued on my way with my stomach down in my boots.

I made it though. HUGE reminder to everyone to watch your speed, scan ahead, expect that cage to do something stupid, and give yourself distance from everything around you.

Ride safe guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
damn..that is my nightmare. never had a AAA truck mixed in there before tho.

well done. glad you made it.:thumbup:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar situation just this morning. Traveling on a rural two lane road out of town following a car that was a couple of hundred feet ahead. He signals a right turn and pulls off onto the shoulder and stops in front of some mailboxes. Ok, I reckon he is going to get his mail or is just being polite to let me pass so I get off the gas and cover the brake. He doesn't move but as soon as I pass him he hooks a U-turn and goes back the other way. Fortunately he did see me and waited until I passed but a lot of yokels would have just pulled the U-turn right into my path. Car drivers just don't see motorcycles or bicyclists .... it's a proven fact, which is why they are telling the truth when they say, "I didn't see him".

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Say no more. They are the worst drivers on the road here by far. I'm sure they are just trolling to create new business.

That's the truth. Once they hear of an accident they all race there to try to be the first to 'hook up'. In some cities so many show up that everybody throws their business card into a hat and the lucky victim gets to pick out which wrecker will clear his messed up vehicle off the side of the road.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
If your guts tell you that something "might" happen in front of you.. then, most likelly it will..

Keep your awareness on full alert.

Glad you came out of that situation without a crash. You should consider, next time, to stop and relax for a few minutes before riding again, after a shocking experience. You loose focus, until you are relaxed again.