Upper fairing replacement

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for instructions for replacing the upper fairing on a 2004 FZ6. An unfortunate tie down accident cracked the original. Have new OEM factory replacement but looking for any pointers on disassembly and replacement.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Attached is a PDF that you should refer to for the following directions. I assume you are sitting on the seat facing forward:

1- Remove the single #18 screw in the Blue box from the right side of the cowling.
2- Remove the two #18 screws in the Green boxes from the left side of the cowling.
3- Remove fasteners #22 and #23 from the left side panel, then remove panel #20, all shown in purple boxes.
4- Inside the cowling on the left side are two multi-pin electrical plugs, unplug the connectors and make sure they are out of the way when you remove the cowling package.
5- Remove two screws, #17 in red boxes. Pull the entire cowling as a unit straight forward and set it down on table or ground.

The cowling assembly weighs about 10 lbs. It should only take 10-15 minutes to do this and doesn't require any prying or force to complete. Installation is the exact reverse, no surprises at all. I hope this helps.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for instructions for replacing the upper fairing on a 2004 FZ6. An unfortunate tie down accident cracked the original. Have new OEM factory replacement but looking for any pointers on disassembly and replacement.

Use this opportunity to go naked:BLAA:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
cali rider has it spot on but you have to remove the rearview mirrors as well or the fairing wont budge!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
ah ok you removed the fairing stay as well... i didnt see that, i always leave it in place and remove the fairing only

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips! I have it dissassembled but have encountered a problem replacing the factory turn signals with led ones. The led turn signals don't support the running light, when I hook up the led none of the running lights work nor do the blinkers when I flip the switch. Does the running light wire (brown) need to be connected to something?:confused:

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
LED's are going to be current-directional, where bulbs are not. Try reversing polarity and see if they blink or come on. As for running lights, since the new signals do not support that feature specifically (the bulbs have two filaments for that), then you just have to live with regular blinkers without some kind of special harness or adapter.

I do not believe the running lamp wire must be connected, but that is something to address once you have them working. Also keep in mind that the stock relay is designed for the current draw of bulbs, not LED's. You may need an electronic flasher to get them to work at all, and you will definitely need one to make them blink at the normal rate.

What comes to mind for a harness is the yellow/blue/green adapter in this kit:
TwistedThrottle.com : Coocase Wiring Kit by Twisted Throttle (wire harness for ground, constant power, running, and brakelight) - TT-00011 I have it for my topcase and it basically takes the brake signal and the running light input and makes them a single output that is on, but dimmed until the brake light signal comes on, then it goes full bright.

Unfortunately they don't sell that adapter separately, but it does have me thinking about fabricating something like that. I am pretty sure I have seen "running light adapters" that are designed pretty much the same way and have factory connectors on them.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
fenderfreek; I spoke to a mechanic and car audio installation guru. He set me straight. When I installed the led taillight it sped up the turn signals because the same draw was coming to the signals, speeding them up. Since adding the front signals, the draw is considerably less and doesn't draw enough power for the bike to even know anything is there. He recommended buying resistors and putting them inline. Still waiting for the part, but will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your input! :steve:

Will Scher

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, but for the love of God, how do you replace the rubber rivets at the top of the cowling. the one that the rear views screw into.

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
Triton EP35 at advanced auto will work for your LED blinkers $9.99-$12.99
one for the right side turn signals (front and back) and one for the left side blinkers (front and back) difections on the back of product easy install. will need female connectors and electrical tape