Dunlop RoadSmart Tires??

W

wrightme43

Well this is just my opinion.
I have owned two sets of Dunlop tires. One on my 94 Probe, Sport A2 directionals, they sucked. And the stock set that came on my ninja. They werent even really tires, more like round rubber rim protectors that held air.

My opinion of Dunlop is very low. Maybe they make great tires but I just will never know because I wont buy them again.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, there are many low(not good) reputation in Japan to them. Many people chose BT021 instead of Roadsmart but, It is fact that YAMAHA works team can't win in Moto GP with DUNLOP.

Yes D252 OEM is not so good but, not so difficult to do slide control of rear tire. Especially, you can enjoy LITTLE agressive riding in hot summer.

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here a reply from Holland.

I've got the RoadSmart tires on my FZ6 Fazer S2 ABS(2007) for 3 months now. Drove almost 4500 km with them and they are far gone now. They won't last for another 4500 km.
On the road they are perfect. Loads and loads of grip. In the rain or snow doesn't matter. Not a single moment I wasn't sure about them. At the moment I feel them get square and I have to push more to get the bike into a corner.

I've got my bike since August 2007 and drove 14000 km till now.

Greetz,
Ton

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up Ton, welcome to this Forum, as I already know you from the Dutch AFCN (all fazer Club Netherlands) forum index.
Post lots, and have fun :thumbup:

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a rear Roadsmart tire and have been riding around on it for about 200 miles. I have not ridden it in the wet yet nor the twisty, but I don't get that "I think I'm going to lose traction feeling" in my agressive street cornering.

I can't comment to much on the stock tire because I only had it for about 800 miles before I picked up a nail. I was just getting to the point where I was starting to like and enjoy the stock tire.

On the other hand I do believe that the ride is a bit firmer then the stock tires (as in you get more feedback from the road).

Sorry I can't be much more help.

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update on the roadsmart tire.

The tires last for almost 10000 km now and are still holding. It surprises me that they last that long. In the beginning they were showing signs of wear very fast. But this seems to stop after a while.
Last week I made a trip to Germany. 500 km highway with high to very high speed ( Avg. 150 km/h, top 240 km/h ) After this 1000 km trough the hills of the Schwarz Wald and back(Total trip about 2000 km in 4 days). Even then, not a single sign of protest what so ever.

I'm not sure now for how long the roadsmart tires will stay on the bike, at least another couple of thousand km. I keep you posted.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update on the roadsmart tire.
Last week I made a trip to Germany. 500 km highway with high to very high speed ( Avg. 150 km/h, top 240 km/h ) After this 1000 km trough the hills of the Schwarz Wald and back(Total trip about 2000 km in 4 days). Even then, not a single sign of protest what so ever.

:needpics:

RickFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I run Pirelli Diablo Strada's on my FZ6 but just rode a friends FZ1 with the Dunlop RoadSmart. IMO they rode great and gave solid performanc for a spirited ride and I had no discomfort even in rain.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
put one on order today as the stock 252 after just 3000miles is wooped down to the wear bars.... should have it wed.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Dunlop Roadsmart on the rear and LOVE it :thumbup:
Grips very well in the twisties. You can feel its really soft on the sides compared to other Dunlops like the Qualifs. I like the fact that its Dual Compound (harder in the middle, softer on the sides) as i use my bike as a daily driver and i like to take it out to the canyons on the weekend. As soon as the front one is ready to change i'm getting another Roadsmart ;)

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
Just had a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts mounted on the FZ6 this weekend. Have only riden home (about 20 miles) so not much on grip as I haven't even gotten the mold release off yet. The profile feels good (turn in) and swithching from left to right quickly feels good. I will keep you posted as I get a few spirited rides in.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...I've got just over 5000 km's on my stock 252's now and I can't say I have ever had a "moment" with them, and it hasn't been for the want of trying!
The only odd thing I notice about them (particularly the rear) is that they will twitch on dry road paint lines (particularly yellow) if I cross them on a fast corner. Nothing untoward, just a little 'twitch'. I have the rear worn to within 3/4" of the edges, so I've still got a bit of grip "in hand" if I need it.
I can't imagine what all the "better" tires must handle like, if my 252's are such crap. ;)
I'm very interested in the Qualifiers....I was initially set on Pilot Roads, but the Qualifiers may get the nod based on "thulst"s report. :thumbup:
(I'm an ol' Brit, so have always had a soft spot for Dunlops and Avons):uk:

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...I've got just over 5000 km's on my stock 252's now and I can't say I have ever had a "moment" with them
Yep i was actually very happy with the stock Dunlop, i wanted to get another one but no one in SoCal even seemed to have heard of that tire...In the end glad i went with the Dual Compound Roadsmart, i'm hoping to get more miles outta them than with the D252, i'll find out :p

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i got a screw in my front OEM BT20 at over 7500miles, it had reached the wear bars so no biggie. I went in to were i got my rear Roadsmart, got a front one installed on the spot (i called ahead to confirm they had the front one and rode right away down there, just a 10min wait to get it installed) paid $140 installed for the front. I got home and noticed it was mounted backwards (today had been going not so well already :shakehead:...) so i figured i'd just turn around the rim myself (bad idea :disapprove: ) first off i didnt know i needed to take off the brake calipers, so i made a tiny scratch on my rim :( almost broke off the left reflector (snapped the metal bracket halfway...) i finally get it off, spin it around, try to mount it and it only fits one way...:surrender: SO i called them and told them about their mistake and they told me to ride on back there. I should have dont that in the first place but i didnt want to ride another 60miles roundtrip again but i had to anyway. I got there, the owner was there and apologized, i understand mistakes happen and let him know this and just asked for some gas money :p and he said of course and gave me $20. Plus the owner is a old top stunter and they were closing up so he did some stunt runs in the street, wheelies the whole block, circle burnouts, no handed circles :eek: So i got $20 and a free lil stunt show, guess the day turned out okay. Or so i thought until i was on the freeway and i was going 90-95mph (a tiny bit faster than the flow of traffic) and i was in the carpool lane swerving left to right to brake in the new tire (although it already had 80miles at this point...) i look in my mirrors and theres a cop on my as$$ :eek: i just stopped swerving and didnt go anyfaster and he followed for a few miles than took off...I think that was a close one...anyhow theres my rant for the day...lol

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day folks. I just ordered one of these tires to replace the OEM Battlax. The Michelin Pilot roads are in high demand and I'd have to wait so I decided to try this one out. They tell me it's triple compound and plenty sticky on the edges so it should be great for my daily commute and stay round long enough to get through to the weekends for a rounding off exercise in the hills. I will definitely post an opinion of them later on.
Cheers
Mike