Ran the FZ6 in an 8-hour iron-butt type rally.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
And brought home 9th place!

First time I'd ever done anything like it. It was a ton of fun, great group of people, and very gracious when they learned I took on their auxiliary fuel cell equipped, radar detector having, huge ass land barge sport touring machines with my little FZ6. :rockon: Below is mostly a cut and past from another forum. If any of you get the chance to run an endurance rally, I highly recommend it. These short 8, 9, or 12 hour rallies are perfect for the FZ6 with its 5 gallon tank and comfortable 80mph cruising speed.

The Team Lyle Rally was put on by Team Strange, and was a fundraiser for Eddie's Road, a charity set up in honor of recently passed Eddie James, who was a key part of the long-distance riding community. Start and finish was Bob's Java Hut, a coffee shop not two blocks from my place in south Minneapolis.

I planned to meet some out-of-town friends for breakfast, to get a good base before the rally. Rider meeting was at 8 so we met a touch before seven, not far away. I rode my bike to Bob's at six thirty in no gear, parked in front, and walked the two blocks home. The dude on the metric cruiser staring at maps two hours early was the only one there, and he was visibly confused by my conduct. Then I put all my gear in the car and went to breakfast at the Uptown Diner, since the place across from Bob's (sunnyside up cafe) went out of business a few weeks back.

In case you ever wondered what 'carnitas benedict' looks like, here you go:

IMG00126-20110618-0725-L.jpg

It was some pretty serious stuff. shredded pork and black beans on english muffins, with poached eggs and smothered in hollandaise with some pico de gallo. And a bed of hashbrowns. I was all fueled up and ready to go!

We headed over to Bob's and it was pretty full up, with most of the 60-odd participants all there. To give some idea of the variety, the smallest bike I saw was a Super Sherpa, and the largest a Goldwing, tied with that blue Victory Vision. In between were a plague of Wee Stroms, my FZ6, a lot of FJRs and ST1100/ST1300s, a few RTs and a few GSs. Also a sorta clapped out K1000RS and an old Norton most recently used in GLMC's barn bike buildoff.

The format of the rally was 29 locations with points assigned to them, in MN and WI. There was a bonus for getting three of the locations, which were all forest service offices. The rally sheets have a spot to record the time and location you visited a location, and a question to answer to prove you were there (i.e. there is a memorial at the wayside in Bruce WI describing the 'Tubby Forest'. Who was tubby? Answer: a springer spaniel).

A lot of riders put the locations into their laptop as waypoints, made a route, downloaded it to their GPS, and left. I used a highlighter and a map, which was equally effective for a rally of this shortened format. Here's the portion of the available 29 locations that I decided were in play. There were three clustered around Umega, WI, but that is 189 miles away (off the map below) and I figured I wouldn't make it back. The MN locations were kinda scattered and I figured the roads would be more fun in WI.

I saw a bunch of roughly 100-point locations in NW WI and decided to hit Grantsburg, Danbury, and Trego, then evaluate remaining time and try to hit Couderay, Bruce, New Auburn, and then book it home. The Forest Lake bonus was only 17 points, and Sunrise was in an awkward place by the river where there's back tracking. I figured if things looked ****ty at Trego I could at least hit the ones to the south, as well as locations in Bayport and Marine on St. Croix, which I had highlighted on the MN map and are right at the border on hwy 95.

LyleRoute-X3.jpg

Eventually I decided on a rough route, grabbed my gear from the car, and headed north on 35W.

Last edited:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I made really good time on I35, hit Grantsburg, took county F to Danbury, and A and E to Trego. As it turned out I made Trego by noon, in time to get my passport stamp from super cute Forest Service girl and talk to her for a few minutes. As I was ****ing with my playlist on the crackberry and sending a tweet, I saw one guy hop off an FJR, flip up his modular lid, run in, run out, and leave. The girl was far too cute for that brief of a stop.

I decided to press on to Couderay. Gassed up in Radisson, WI then headed to Bruce, WI, where I took my only picture of the day.

P6183008edited-1-XL.jpg

Leaving Bruce I encountered the first rainstorm of the day, but it was brief and a non-event. I didn't read the location description for New Auburn closely, and I knew it was a double - a forest service office and an atv parking lot. I didn't read the locations closely enough, and took Hwy 40 to the forest service office on M. I then had to ride M almost all the way to Holcombe for part two, then back track to hit the Sand Creek location. Had I had my head out of my ass I would have taken County E south. It was fine, County M between New Auburn and Holcomb is a really nice road, twisty and fun.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I was behind a couple of guys on matching BMW R1200GSs with fuel cells leaving Sand Creek on Hwy 64, and then the three of us were stuck behind a local sheriff. I got bored and cut north on some county roads, since it was pretty early and I only planned to hit Forest, WI on my way home. Saw a friend in Forest, then took 64 to New Richmond, 65 south, and 94 east. It sprinkled on 65 and then absolutely poured the entire way in on 94. Traffic was moving at 60mph where I had hoped to go 80. I looked at the clock, hit 'Go Home' on the Zumo, and it said 4:40. I was due back by 5pm, with a 25 point-per-minute penalty until DNF at 5:10.

Interesting. I thought I was running ahead of schedule. Apparently not.

Hit construction on 94 at Snelling. Traffic stopped. Not slowed, stopped. I was suddenly very glad I only mounted the topcase and considered lane splitting heroics, but figured if it cleared up after the overpass at 280 I could still make it. It did clear up, and I exited at Lyndale and headed to Bob's. Rolled in with the fuel light on at 4:52. :cheer:

I stood in line for the scoring table, and stared down the shirt of some non-rallying bob's customer who politely read a book and ignored me. Super!

Got my score, and listened to some of the discussion. I had no idea what a good score would be, but figured I'd be mid-pack or so. I didn't speed, paused and snacked and goofed off at the stops, left fifteen minutes late. I heard some low scores, and many tales of DNF, so I called my brother, told him to push back the father's day dinner, and waited for the announcement.

Lisa from Team Strange spoke a bit, thanked us, mentioned the response was far better than they anticipated and that they would do this again, perhaps a few times a year in different places. Then Bart with the scores. They had plaques for the first five, and read off the top ten. In tenth place was some guy, with fewer points than me. I was confused and a little excited, I really didn't think I posted a good score.

Next was me!

It was really nice to be recognized in front of the group, and I'm glad I stuck around for it. :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Two hours on the Fizzer just about killed me. I bow to your iron-ness! :thumbup:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Two hours on the Fizzer just about killed me. I bow to your iron-ness! :thumbup:

Really? I find it fairly comfortable. My longest day was 913 miles on my old Ninja 650R last summer, but I spend 12 hours in the saddle on a pretty regular basis. 10k miles since last August on the FZ6, it is the energizer bunny of motorcycling. :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That does look like a lot of fun. I wish they had something like that around here. Thanks for posting and congrats on making it in the top ten!

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
That does look like a lot of fun. I wish they had something like that around here. Thanks for posting and congrats on making it in the top ten!

Look around a bit, you might be surprised. From what I can tell they aren't all that well advertised. A quick google search brought up four 24-hr rallies with in striking distance. I'm guessing some of those organizations run shorter rallies other times of the year, and the 24's are the flagship event.

Ride Colorado - Ride Schedule

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Nice write up! I liked the part about the cute girl and staring down the shirt of the other. Hahaha Makes me really want to put a purpose to my riding. I did just over 800 (to Florida) Sunday and then 500+ Wednesday and 300 Thursday but it would be nice to have a points game.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up on the trip! Glad to see some fellow FZ'ers getting into the LD riding game. I have been bitten by the Long Distance bug myself... (yes, riding over 1500 miles in under 24 continuous hours is strangely addicting.)

Im looking to install some Givi hard bags, pellican case, GPS, Bill Mayer or Russel Day Long seat and 6 gallon aux cell on the FZ in the near future...

Congrats on the ride and thanks for sharing.

-bryan