Mobil 1 10W-40

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, how many of you guys are running Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 oil in your bike? I put this in my bike when I first got it used about 2000 some-odd miles ago. I was stupid and didn’t realize that it was the wrong viscosity until well after I changed it. I just went over 4000 and need to change again. Will this oil weight cause any problems or is it ok? I always thought it’s some of the best, I’ve never run anything other than Mobil 1 in my car.

S

Shamus McFeeley

That weight won't hurt anything. It might even help during these hotter months.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ran it since my second oil change. It seems to help shifting as well. (I too use it in everything I own)

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
45000 kilometers using that oil in my fz6 and no issues at all, bike ridden in all type of conditions

smooth gearbox -> smooth enough being a fz :D

Cheers

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
When I change mine this summer, that is what I am going to use, along with the K&N oil filter. I also run Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles. I am looking forward to trying it out. :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I used Mobil1 4t for one oil change then switched to Rotella T. Not at all happy with the downshifting with Rotella T so I am going to either switch back to Mobil1 4t or try Castrol synthetic

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i use it all tha time now i stocked up and bought 12 qts cuz they were on sale and my friends works at autozone...not anymore tho :(...i got a qt for about $5.85 so i was pretty happy! i like it a lot no problems only good things to say about it

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the oil weight I've run since I got the FZ6. I've used the Mobil twice, and this last time I gave Castrol Actevo synthetic blend a shot, out of cheapness and curiosity. So far it seems to shift a little better with the Castrol. Only have a few hundred miles on this oil change though, so time will tell how well it holds up. Top end seems a touch quieter too, but that could just be my imagination.

just james

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys talking about mobil 1 car or motorcycle oil? Iwas gonna ask if anyone uses Castrol motorcycle oil and what they thought ? Thanks

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys talking about mobil 1 car or motorcycle oil? Iwas gonna ask if anyone uses Castrol motorcycle oil and what they thought ? Thanks

Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. Check out my previous post for my take on the Castrol. There are different levels of the Castrol motorcycle oil. There's the standard 4T oil, the Actevo semi-synthetic that I'm using right now, and then the full blown synthetic. All good oils in my opinion. Really, as long as you change your oil regularly, and on time, and it's the proper weight(10W-40 for example) you can run any brand motorcycle oil you want. :thumbup:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, how many of you guys are running Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 oil in your bike? I put this in my bike when I first got it used about 2000 some-odd miles ago. I was stupid and didn’t realize that it was the wrong viscosity until well after I changed it. I just went over 4000 and need to change again. Will this oil weight cause any problems or is it ok? I always thought it’s some of the best, I’ve never run anything other than Mobil 1 in my car.

im using it i have 8000 KM on it now , it should be good for up to 10 000 KM
you wont need anything else but 10w40

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm presently using Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 oil. I think it was 10 bucks a quart at O'reilly Auto Parts.

Your oil weight choice was fine. It was just a wider range. The owner's manual givse you 10w30 and 20-40. You just covered both those areas.

Here's a chart from the FZ6 owners' manual.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone wants the spec sheet on the Mobile One Racing 4T here's a link.

What I find interesting is that MOST manufactures who specify something as being "racing" also imply that it is just for that; Racing where it gets changed often as it has less of the ingredients that prevent break down from acid formations. Meaning - normal oil for most of the world is meant to remain in use for longer periods of time. This link mentions nothing of it being intended for "race only use".

Just an observation.

Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oils

Edit: Add that it doesn't contain the buzz words like; "formulated for year round protection. . ."

Last edited:

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually work at an Advance Auto Parts, so I get the Mobil 1 4t synthetic for cheap, but from my experience the Castrol 10w-40 synthetic 4t (usually found right beside the Mobil 1 on the shelf) felt just as good or better in shifting. I used these in a Ninja I had though, not sure about the FZ.

If I can't get my hands on any Amsoil (smoothest shifting oil out there, especially downshift IMO) I run down to the Honda shop and grab some HP4 or Repsol 4t racing oil. My FZ likes the Repsol wayyyy more than it digs Mobil 1.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Aside from the fact that I sell Amsoil I would recommend it because of my personal experience with how other oils perform compared to it.

However if you don't want to use Amsoil than Mobil 1 would be a my next choice. Good oil at a decent price and can be found most anywhere. If you do use Mobil 1 I would recommend matching it with a Wix filter.

As far as the weight of the oil it is within the specs. although not the "recommended" weight there is nothing wrong with it and I would run it all year round. (Unless your one of those guys who runs around in 12* weather on a bike)

Last edited: