FZ6 Trip - St. Louis to Avon, Colorado

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
We departed Monday morning, June 6th at 6AM. Several hours later we crossed into beautiful Colorado!

StateLine.jpg

When we arrived at out house (on the 7th - held up in Colby, KS), the weather was beautiful, so we just relaxed that late afternoon for some cold ones and grilled some steaks.

DSCN0363.jpg

There was still traces of snow on the slopes of the Beaver Creek Ski Resort! I know there is going to be good stuff to follow on the bigger mountains!

We rode many places over the following 5 days, but here are some of the highlights. One of which was Trail Ridge, going though the Rocky Mountain National Park area. As I suspected, there was still a bit of snow!

DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

On the topic of snow, we road over Loveland Pass and found it too had traces of snow! Really cool stuff!

DSCN0368.jpg

Then you can check in on the top of Mt Evens and discover the wind chill was 17 degrees!!! It was chilly, but I have always loved riding up there!

DSCN0374.jpg

To help knock the chill off, we stopped at the Buffalo Bar in Idaho Springs for some green chili. That stuff will knock the chill off better than anything I am aware of.

We decided to head down to 92 and ride along side the Black Canyon, another beautiful area (what part of Colorado isn't beautiful?). Along the way, always nice little surprises!

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0390.jpg

And was is a several day stay out in Colorado without getting lost! A little roadside discussion and we can figure it out. The only concern was gas (where the hell is the next gas station!).

DSCN0437.jpg

In all, I was very pleased with how the FZ6 performed. I am a bit tall, but the bike was very comfortable on the long haul. We did just over 3500 miles in 6 days and my front tire took quite a beating. I hate to think about it, but the front may have to go before the back is ready. I don't get it, tire pressure was spot on throughout the trip.

Not a drop of rain on us this year. This was my 4th consecutive year riding out there, and the FIRST TIME we went without the typical mountain showers. On the way back we had rain for about 100 miles heading east from Kansas City, that's not bad!

Now to start planning the return trip out there in just about 11 months from now! :D

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Those snow drifts on the sides of the road are wild! Looks like a great trip! Great pics!

On a side note what's the white bike you were riding with?

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Those snow drifts on the sides of the road are wild! Looks like a great trip! Great pics!

On a side note what's the white bike you were riding with?

That is a buddies BMW R1100S Boxercup Replica. Cool bike! For 1100cc, it isn't any faster than the FZ6, but it is likely a much more durable. He is a good rider, for a 50 year old dude!

:thumbup: