Chain tensioning problem

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
For the Readers Digest version, see the bolded section :D

So I followed what the manual said to do and got my chain nice and snug. The problem is I can't get the axle nuts tight without throwing off the alignment. Using the stock tools, I put one wrench on the right to hold the axle nut, then I use the other wrench on the left to loosen the axle nut (If I don't hold the right side it just spins). Once that was loose I used the adjusting nut on the left to adjust slack. Once the slack was proper I looked at the alignment. The right was way of so I loosened it's nut to line it up with the left side. After about ten minutes of back and forth between the two I finally got the two (according to the notches) at the same notch. So carefully I tighten the nuts so that they sit snug against the plate and then tighten the nut behind them to hold them. Now everything looks to be lined up but the chain seems to have tightened through that whole process. So I repeat and get it right. Well heres the problem; when I go to tighten the axle nut back up, it throws the alignment off. I can't adjust the alignment unless I loosen the axle nut again. So you see, I have this kind of repetitive circle going on! :banghead: Is their something I'm missing here?! Oh and on a side note; how tight is too tight? it seemed to want to move between 2inch and 1.5inch. Thank you for any help you can provide :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Almost everybody makes thier chain to tight. At the looser end of adjustment is better in my opinion.

My bike the alignment marks are about a half a mark off on the right side (sitting on the bike right side)
Get the axle nut barely loose just enough to move it. Make the chain to loose and use the adjustments to pull it to where you want it.

jeff in ohio

Reaction score
Visit site
when tightening the rear axle, throw a rag between the chain and the rear wheel sprocket. Rotate the wheel backward with some force so the rag is pulled between the chain and sprocket. This will pull the wheel/axle tight against the adjuster stops so that when you tighten the axle, it will not back off of the adjuster stops.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would rather have the chain a little looser than recommended rather than tighter than recommended, it has actually caused me some issues in the past...

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
when tightening the rear axle, throw a rag between the chain and the rear wheel sprocket. Rotate the wheel backward with some force so the rag is pulled between the chain and sprocket. This will pull the wheel/axle tight against the adjuster stops so that when you tighten the axle, it will not back off of the adjuster stops.

Yep,what he said.I use a rubber exhaust hanger from a car to go between chain & sprocket.:thumbup:

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the great advice. :thumbup: I haven't had a chance to work on it yet but I'll give it a try when I do. So let me ask a noob question about the chain tension, you measure (at the spot shown in the manual) from the bottom of the swing arm to the top of the chain right (measuring the gap between the chain and the arm)? I'm thinking I'm going to set it at two inches. Also I've decided to take y'alls advice on the screw in my tire and just get it replaced. My local shop quoted me at $129 for the tire (Can't remember the brand) and $64 to mount it. The tire price seemed about right but $64 to mount?

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the great advice. :thumbup: I haven't had a chance to work on it yet but I'll give it a try when I do. So let me ask a noob question about the chain tension, you measure (at the spot shown in the manual) from the bottom of the swing arm to the top of the chain right (measuring the gap between the chain and the arm)? I'm thinking I'm going to set it at two inches. Also I've decided to take y'alls advice on the screw in my tire and just get it replaced. My local shop quoted me at $129 for the tire (Can't remember the brand) and $64 to mount it. The tire price seemed about right but $64 to mount?

If you can,remove the wheel yourself & take it into the shop.If this doesnt make it cheaper,go somewhere else.;)

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
The rag trick worked perfectly. :thumbup: It took me less then five minutes to get it tight and straight. Now to get the tire replaced.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
The rag trick worked perfectly. :thumbup: It took me less then five minutes to get it tight and straight. Now to get the tire replaced.

Check with Walmart, you can probably buy the tire from the dealer and have walmart or a tire store mount it. I know walmart does ATV tires.