Sorry if this has already been covered

Darken Dioxen

Reaction score
Visit site
Morning All,

Just bought an 07 FZ6 with around 6000 miles, LOVE it! Glad to see it has a great cult following, nothing says a good product like a group of Zealots!

In my due diligence and familiarizing myself with my bike, I noticed that it seems to be expending Oil at a rather fast rate.

I don't have puddles or excessive smoke at any time, and it seems to work its way down the dip stick over about 2 weeks, (MAYBE 100 miles/week). Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks for the help and All the great information.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't recall anyone with this issue. I don't remember welcoming you to the forum so :welcome:

How much oil do you think it's using?

Last edited:

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to be an echo - but there's definitely an issue there. I too have lost basically no oil between changes.

I don't recall reading about anyone else with that issue recently.

btw welcome to the forum!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Fellow err, Rochesterian?? Gratz on the new bike and as preached before, I would either look into it in great detail or if you aren't as mechanically inclined, get it to a shop who know what they're talking about...Oil leaving the case isn't pleasant... Glad you are mechanically inclined enough to at least check your oil periodically and caught it. Ruined engines aren't good :(

Darken Dioxen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all Thanks for the welcomes,

It has not consumed more then Half a quart in the last 700 miles.

I have just enough Mechanical know how to get myself into trouble :).

I noticed a light burning order but didn't think it was out the exhaust...I will poke around some more this weekend, and see what I can find...so far no "blood" stains on the garage floor.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you always check the oil on the centerstand when cold, that way you have a constant baseline. These engines really don't consume oil so it is worth looking into.

Darken Dioxen

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I put her up on the stand and then run it just to warm up, then pull the stick. Last night I checked it and it hadn't lost any...not sure where the hell it is going!

I'll keep an eye on it in the mean time!

Now is it true the blue ones are faster? :)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! As others have told you, these engines are pretty much bullet-proof. I can't imagine an engine using oil with only 6 grand on the clock.
I know many Kaws that have been falsely accused of using oil actually had some sort of crankcase venting issues causing them to suck the crankcase oil up into the intake. Good luck and please let us know what shakes out.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
had an old toyota celica that had a blown head gasket that caused major oil consumption check out ur gaskets

Darken Dioxen

Reaction score
Visit site
Well after sticking my face and shaving mirror into all the nooks and Crannies I found nothing.

Coolant was nice and clean, tasted really sweet in my coffee....lol

NO spills or drips, no smoking....and no new oil loss! Very weird.

I was looking through my info that the guy I bought it from had and he recently changed the oil. Maybe it hadn't cycled all the way through the new filter yet, and I was getting partial reads for the side of the dip stick housing....but for now it seems ok...but I will keep an eye on it!

Thanks for the welcomes, well wishes, and advice!