Wrecked..

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going down hill on a curvy road (banner for you SO CAL guys). As I was starting to flop the bike over entering a turn I felt the front wheel slide out wide, my first reaction was to get the bike back upright which of course headed towards off the road. I tried to get the bike turned over again but i ran out of pavement as I was getting the bike over the second time.

In retrospect, I think I should have not stopped my first entry turn and just hoped that the front wheel was going to catch?

Anyways, I think my bike might be done for. The metal attachment that is connected to the speedometer was bent which snapped the front plastic and make the whole front crooked and a snapped off screws in the inside.

The front wheel is crooked with respect to the handle bars, i think it is because of my front forks.

Tank is dented but it appears to be only cosmetic. One of the foot pegs broke clean off, so much for snapping back.

I am not mechanically inclined. Seems like the parts and labor might not be worth it though over buying a new bike not sure, going to have to look into it more.

As for me, about three square inches of mild road rash on only one of my forearms didn't draw any blood aside from two dots probable from small rocks on the side of the road. Aside from my ankles getting stretched out a bit nothing else. Gear works.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Neal,
Glad you're okay!
I wrecked on Banner last year and totaled my 09 R1. I'd be interested where you lost your front. That's what happened to me going down Banner toward the desert. I was hard right then hard left but my front wasn't tracking. I tried keeping it harder over but the front wouldn't hook up and I was out of roadway and headed for a rock wall. I was injured with 3 broken ribs and pulled the tendons in my wrist.
I'd be interested in where this happened on Banner
I'm in Mira Mesa area.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Neal,
Glad you're okay!
I wrecked on Banner last year and totaled my 09 R1. I'd be interested where you lost your front. That's what happened to me going down Banner toward the desert. I was hard right then hard left but my front wasn't tracking. I tried keeping it harder over but the front wouldn't hook up and I was out of roadway and headed for a rock wall. I was injured with 3 broken ribs and pulled the tendons in my wrist.
I'd be interested in where this happened on Banner
I'm in Mira Mesa area.

Wish I had the presence of mind to take a pic when i was there. I am not that good at descriptions. The turn was mid way down the hill and it had a 20 foot dirt/gravel area on side that i got to slide roll on for a while until i hit the side of the hill.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't you guys have like 10 world class racetracks in California?

Glad you're alright and all, but pushing to the point where so much as a little course correction sends you off-road is pushing too far. Enjoy a spirited ride and all but always ride to 60% when you don't have ample run-off and no paramedics on stand-by. Leave a lot in the bag so when something like this happens you don't immediately dive into a tree or barrier. They call them "guillotines" for a reason.

Anyway, maybe I'm just bitter because it's been raining the past 6 hours.

Ride safe man.

P.S. Yes this is the pot calling the kettle black. But I like to think I'm getting better? We don't have any corners in Alberta so I wouldn't know anyway if I actually am or not. I seem to be though. It's a tough process for each of us. But in the end you gotta do it.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where I went down there is an open area and a rock that's painted green. There's a little driveway that's off the cleared area. I went back after my crash and saw a cars pulling out with a nice cloud of fine dust following it on to the road way. It was like a fine powdery silt. Two of my riding friends have lost it in that same turn and they know others who have gone down there. I don't know if this is where you went dent down.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't you guys have like 10 world class racetracks in California?

Glad you're alright and all, but pushing to the point where so much as a little course correction sends you off-road is pushing too far. Enjoy a spirited ride and all but always ride to 60% when you don't have ample run-off and no paramedics on stand-by. Leave a lot in the bag so when something like this happens you don't immediately dive into a tree or barrier. They call them "guillotines" for a reason.

Anyway, maybe I'm just bitter because it's been raining the past 6 hours.

Ride safe man.

P.S. Yes this is the pot calling the kettle black. But I like to think I'm getting better? We don't have any corners in Alberta so I wouldn't know anyway if I actually am or not. I seem to be though. It's a tough process for each of us. But in the end you gotta do it.

I agree we can cross the line very easily and I have since changed my habits a little. Yes there are lots of areas where there is no room for error. But we do have areas you can really get excited about and there are combinations of great roads and very sparse or no traffic at all. I think it's more being out and knowing an area and you get warmed up and a little amped so you really don't realize you've crossed into that zone. I stopped riding with the group I was riding with because the percentage of crashes were high and others had complained about the riding speeds. Most of all I was being selfish to my wife and family in not being smarter and safer.

As far as the pot and kettle. Come out and spend some time with us and we'll see how docile you've become! Hahaha! :rof: It's like a motorcycle theme dream park. You'd be shooting past us on those big open sweepers after about 20 minutes! :rof: I know people that ride track and it doesn't change the way they ride these roads. They're just faster than anything.
Tomorrow I'm doing some suspension tuning because I've pushed the limits on the factory setting on the SV. :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha awesome.

And yeah, that's why I added the P.S.......I remembered I was writing to someone living in California.....

haha

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your forks might not be damaged at all. They might have only rotated in the triple tree. I'd pull them out and check them against a straight edge.

A little body work, a naked conversion, and a few parts, and you'll have it right back up.

Last edited:

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Your forks might not be damaged at all. They might have only rotated in the triple tree. I'd pull them out and check them against a straight edge.

A little body work, a naked conversion, and a few parts, and you'll have it right back up.

I hope you are right and thanks for the advice. I very ignorant when it comes to motorcycles didn't even know what a triple tree was an hour ago - good thing there is google and the fz6 forms.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your fall - glad you're ok, and it seems like the bike might be back to ok soon too.

I'm not mechanically inclined either, that's why I love this place - all kinds of good information and smart people.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok. Bike doesn't look too bad, and I'm pretty sure there are several forum members near you who could probably give you a hand. Don't get discouraged about the bike just yet. Take your time, heal up, then do a good assessment of the damage when you body and mind a cleared up.

Good luck, and keep us posted :thumbup:

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Where I went down there is an open area and a rock that's painted green. There's a little driveway that's off the cleared area. I went back after my crash and saw a cars pulling out with a nice cloud of fine dust following it on to the road way. It was like a fine powdery silt. Two of my riding friends have lost it in that same turn and they know others who have gone down there. I don't know if this is where you went dent down.

Wasn't that turn. Though the tow truck guy was telling me that some other rider had went down that day and he thought it might because some road sweeper came though throwing fine dust around.

Though, I think it might be something to do with my suspension set up. My front comes of the ground pretty easy when i go over anything in the road.

The odd thing was I was driving casually compared to how normally i go on that road. Maybe I was just wasn't ready to make adjustments or relax under disturbances because i was expecting it to be an uneventful type ride. Let my guard down so to speak.