changing oil(filter)

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys,

this may be a stupid question for experienced motorcycledrivers, but i would like to find some information before giving an attempt.

i got my (first) bike a couple of weeks ago with 500km on it (a show model). The manual dictates to change the oil and oilfilter after the first 1000km (i'm at 8xx right now).

for a couple of reasons i don't want to go to my dealer for that.

- i just spent a "lot of money" on my bike and don't feel like beeing charged whatever amount because of my ignorance so soon
- while i'm not that "trained" in mechanics and the sorts (never had the need for it since i don't own a car or anything so never bothered) i would like to be able to get to know the ins and outs of my bike and do some basic stuff myself without having to run to the shop every week
- same statement as above but including words like "beeing a man" and "ego" ;)

so basicly, what are the do's and don'ts when it comes to changing the oil on a fazer6. Which brands/types/...
and maybe following the don'ts, what's the worse case scenario?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a post-it note at my desk I made for myself that has the important stuff to remember for oil changes on it. Make one of these. It reads:

OIL: 2.8L / 2.96 US Quarts
Filter: K&N model KN 204, 12 ft lb's of Torque
Checking Level: Warm, center stand, let it drain down, check with dipstick NOT screwed in.

Do this and you'll be fine. The level thing is key... check it properly or you'll over/under fill it.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
check with dipstick NOT screwed in

Are you sure about that?

167.jpg

I always check after i screw it completely.
Am i doing it wrong?

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
do the tin foil trick to keep the oil off the header. Also, the kickstand will totally get in the way of the drain pan and I swear my oil flew 2' out of the drain plug - I had to keep the plug part way in the whole time or it'd drain out past the drain pan. Keep kitty litter nearby if you spill.

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of notes from when I did my first oil change on the bike:

Make sure you have the right oil filter socket that helps to unscrew the filter. I had trouble finding the exact size, and I got the one that fit the replacement filter, not the OEM one. The OEM one was slightly smaller, so I needed to put a layer of paper towel between the oil filter and the cartridge socket to get the OEM one off, which worked perfectly. Then, the next time you replace the filter, it will be the replacement one and there should be no issues.

As someone else said, use the tin-foil funnel trick, the drain plug is in a bad spot, and you will make a much bigger mess if you don't do this.

My drain bolt was on really tight (probably from the previous oil change, previous owner said it was done at a dealer). So you may need a breaker bar for your first change, but will not need it if the bolt is torqued correctly (you will be able to tell if you start and cannot get the bolt unscrewed).

The oil does come out farther than I expected, so maybe hold the drain pan up at an angle to help catch the first bit of oil, then adjust the position when the flow slows down.

It is a very easy job to do if you have all the right stuff though. Good luck!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure about that?

I always check after i screw it completely.
Am i doing it wrong?

Yep...
I agree with "Evitzee"... I am pretty sure it's written in the FZ6 manual.

Regarding expensive oilchanges...
I change the oil every 5000 km 2 times a year. It's do-it-myself job at Winther and Yamaha mechanic at Summer. The FZ6 will be a bit easier to sell with all service stamps.
I always bring along oil/filter and maybe other stuff and therefore save a bundle of cash. My mechanic doesn't mind... or maybe he just bills me for an extra half hour - I'd never know haha.

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You will probably find that the filter is difficult to get loose. There was another thread about it recently. Here is the solution my dad and I came up with.

Just changed my oil and filter. Hercules must have tightened the oil filter. I ended up using channel locks and denting the old filter but it finally loosened up. The next change should be easier!

Thanks for the thread link.