Pipercross air filter cleaning

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody.
Seen that the first time was a bit hard finding information on how to clean my air filter (Pipercross gives only 4 lines of help), I've decided to share the whole process here with you in case someone is in need of it.

As seen on title, this topic is meant to be a guide for those of you, owners of a Pipercross filter, wishing to clean it, on a Yamaha Fazer S2 (FZ6) but it also applies to previous models, back till the year 2004.
The cleaning tecnique is almost the same for the air filters of this kind, many can be found even on Youtube, I’ve searched and didn’t find any for the FZ6, so if someone has a different bike, but still wishing to learn how to clean his Pipercross filter, can skip the part of removing it from the bike and go directly to the cleaning process.
Cleaners are not the usual we keep in our houses, they’re selled apart from the company and we must have ordered them in advance. Otherwise, the whole thing cannot be done.

So, here we go, the time is around 8pm and I’m just home from work.....I make myself some cofee, turn on some relaxing music and it starts!
IMAGE_022.jpg

TOOLS

The tools we’ll need for the job are:
IMAGE_024.jpg

1. A screwdriver
2. A “german” type wrench, no.10
3. Allens
4. 2 Tireups elastics, can also be done with just one depending on the tank’s weight
5. Spray cleaning additive (C9003 or C9000) (Pipercross)
6. Oily dirt retention additive (C9007 or C9001) (Pipercross)
7. A small brush, I’ve used a paintbrush, which is ideal for lining the oil on the filter, in case you don’t have or can’t find any, you may also use your finger for that.
8. Some cleaning paper
9. A small towel, or any other fabric may do, you’ll see later what for

REMOVING THE FILTER

The first step will be to place the bike in a way it will suit better for us to work on top of it. If you’re in a garage as I am, a small light on top should be a good idea.

IMAGE_025.jpg

*IMPORTANT* -- It is advisable to have the tank with no or just a little gas in it for this kind of work. In other case, it will be really heavy to lift and I assure you that it’s bottom side cuts the fingers like hell!

Next step, we make good use of the towel or fabric mentioned above, by lying it on the fuel tank, in a way it will protect the color from accidental scratches....believe me it’s worth it.
After that we remove the saddle using our key of course.

IMAGE_026.jpg

Using the allen key, we remove the two screws located high above the fuel tank....you may also turn left or right the steering in a way that makes that easier.
Having those two removed, we proceed with the one in the back, the big one, use the german type key to unscrew this one and take it off. The reason we have to remove this screw is because the fuel tank cannot be lifted otherwise, pivoting on the screw, cause of the front side fering that blocks it:

IMAGE_027.jpg

IMAGE_029.jpg

By unscrewing the last screw, we are given the chance to pull the tank a little backwards and then lift it up, in the balancing position shown on the second next picture:

IMAGE_028.jpg

IMAGE_030.jpg

IMAGE_031.jpg

continues....

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
*IMPORTANT* -- Be sure to pay attention on the three hoses connected to the tank, don’t try and lift it up violently, or it may lead to damaging those hoses and a leak of fuel. Pay also attention to not cut any wires connected. Normaly, the only hose that’ll give you some trouble pulling, is the outpouring one, you may disconnect that.

IMAGE_033.jpg

Making sure the whole thing is ok, we can now open the air filter box, by unscrewing the 6 screws with the screwdriver. Once free, it opens by lifting it up.

IMAGE_034.jpg

Then, all we have to do is remove the filter:

IMAGE_036.jpg

Pick up the filter, lower down the tank and make sure that no one, or nothing will mess with the bike, because it’s gonna be left open like that for a while. I normaly use the towel to cover the necks, to make sure that nothing accidentaly falls inside.

continues....

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
FILTER CLEANING

IMAGE_037.jpg

Having removed the filter, it’s time to clean it up.
If we notice that it’s too dirty, first of all, we remove by hand much of the big dirt, or brushing it with a soft brush. Normaly, fz6’s tend not to have very dirty air filters, probably cause of the design of the filter box.
Then, we spray the cleaning additive (don’t save it) both sides and after a good dose, we leave it for 10 minutes to permit to the cleaner to penetrate deeper.

IMAGE_038.jpg

After the 10 minutes, wash the filter with warm water, *direction* from the clean side (red) to the dirty side (black), while rubbing it gently with our fingers.

IMAGE_039.jpg

Having it washed out completeley, depending on the level of dirt, we repet the operation again, as many times as it takes to get clean. Normaly it takes max to 3 times....as you can see mine was not too dirty but something came out eventualy:
IMAGE_040.jpg

In the end, we dry it out by shaking it hard and rubbing it with our fingers, so that only some moisture remains and we leave it in a good ventilated place to dry out completely, for as long as it takes....
*ATTENTION* -- The filter must dry out well, before we apply the oil on top of it, do not use a hair dryer or any other mean. It must remain in ambient temperature and dry out by it’s self....that may take time ,so it’s preferable doing that not in the winter, cause it will take ages. Personaly I leave it there for 24 hours, just to make sure....oil and water don’t mix.

APPLYING THE DIRT RETENTION ADDITIVE

Once the filter is dry and clean, we use the dirt retention additive oil from Pipercross. It’s purpose is to prevent dust and other debris particles, that might escape the filter, to enter our engine, by holding onto this stuff

Take the oil and the small brush and apply a thin layer of oil onto the black surface of the filter.
You must make sure not to pour a lot of it, cause that may lead to difficulty for the engine to breath, meaning great loss of power for your bike. So be very carefull.

IMAGE_042.jpg

After applying the oil, leave it again for ten minutes to sour down and it will be ready for mounting.
Take the time to clean up with some paper inside the air filter box, in case it’s dirty or has some oil from the previous time.
Then take the steps for removing the filter from the bike, backwards.....Remember that the filter’s position is with the red surface facing the tail of the bike and not the way around.

*IMPORTANT* -- As we put back in place the fuel tank, we must make 100% sure that no hose or wire has been barged or badly pressed under, cause that might do some damage. Try stretching slowly with your hand the hoses as you gently lay the tank down, putting it in place.

* IMPORTANT * -- Make sure everything you’ve touched before is back in place, paying attention even at the bottom of the bike, where hoses sometimes loosen their grasp clips.

That’s all, the bike’s now ready to run.....

Normaly, Pipercross suggests to clean it’s filters in intervals twice the time the originals need, meaning that for the FZ6, Yamaha suggests every 8~10.000km, so you have to clean it aprox. every 20.000km. Personaly I do it every 10~15.000km depending on weather and riding conditions.