Safety Gear in MSF Training

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
When I took the MSF beginner course ~7 years ago, it shaped my safety gear view in 2 ways. First, it was taught that riding in a long shirt, long pants, gloves, helmet and over the ankle boots is enough. Second, my teacher rode 100mi each way on his VFR. he wore a nice 2 pc textile/ ce padded suit, so I knew I could do more.

I wish they would have taken a stronger approach like riding boots and riding jacket were a must. It would have set my pace better.

Also, I wish they would have laid out a clear bike cost better like:
Bike cost
Maint cost
Helmet...plan for 300-500, but maybe you can get lucky and find a good fit for under 200. My GMax was $140ish and fits great.
Jackets, pants, etc. Plan like $250 each +$100 for gloves. And you probably need 2-4 sets of top and bottoms. I have mesh, spring/fall and a winter suit.
Boots 150-400.

Basically, with $5000, don't buy a $5000 bike. Buy $3500 in bike, $600 in helmet/boots and $900 in suit roughly. I think this would help the $5000 bike $1 in gear problem we have in America.

Any thoughts? What was taught to you in MSF?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The amount or the type of gear that you are required to wear on the range is minimal due to the fact that it is in a controlled environment. No cars-traffic-pedestrians. And your speed is kept to a maximum of maybe 20mph.

We understand that safety gear can be expensive, and we do not want to discourage beginning riders not to take the class because they need $1000 worth of safety equipment. We are trying to be realistic for the average person. Therefore, these are the only requirements for you to have in order to learn:

DOT Approved Helmet
Full Finger Gloves
Long Sleeve Shirt, sweashirt or jacket
Long Pants that is durable like jean, no dress slacks or designer jeans with holes. (We give you an opportunity to create your own holes once you start riding)
Eye Protection -visor, goggle, sunglasses
Over the anke boots, no high tops or sneakers

The decision on how much and what to wear iwhen you are out on the streets s covered in the classroom. Risk taking and the consequences for taking these risks. Oviously, you want to keep that risk level low, wear more gear, wear better gear.

Rider Coaches should lead by example by wearing all the proper protective gear. We should be held to higher standards. That is why I wear all the gear all the time. Hopefully, your RC set a good example too.

Last edited:

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all you said. I guess I felt gear for after the bike purchased wasn't emphasized near as much as more obvious things like the 2+ hours spent on don't drink and drive! That is all.

outdoorsman

Lets ride!
Reaction score
www.sacramentocrotchrockets.com
I totally agree that MSF need to stress more about safety gear. Afterall, a brand new rider with little skills and experience needs it the most! Although riding within your abilities and riding smart will minimize the risks, a new rider do not have the skills/experience to avoid certain situations on the roads so they are morely likely to have a "get off".

My gf took the MSF course last month and I stopped by during her lunch break on my way home from riding in the hills with friends. I had full gear on from head to toe. The next day she told me that one of the rider coaches asked her why I was in my one piece lether suit and she told him because it's for protection. He then told my gf that I didn't need it for riding around town or the hills, it's only for the track. It was not necessary. I was really pissed when I found this out because he basically discouraged her from wearing gear. I called his boss and let him know my frustration and disappointment with this particular RC. Part of riding smart is wearing protection in case things happen beyond your control. Instructor FAIL for sure!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Outdoorsman,

Could it possibly be that your GF just misunderstood the RC?

Yes, one piece suits are intended for track use, but can be used as riding gear in the streets. But is a one piece suit necessary? Meaning that there are other gear availabe that will provide protection that will come in form of two pieces, jacket and pants would be separated so that it is more convenient for whatever reason you may want to take your jacket off.

New riders have a tendancy to misinterpret things. Not saying that your GF did in this particular case, and maybe the RC did say what you are saying, but just a thought. Definately wouldn't be the first time a student misunderstood something that a RC was saying.

outdoorsman

Lets ride!
Reaction score
No Vegasrider. My gf have been around bikes for as long as I have and she knows the importance of safety gear. She was always my apssenger until she felt now is the right time to get her own bike and ride on her own. She wears full gear everytime we go for rides. That's why I was appalled at the comments made by the RC. Not all RC are created equal. We have a local forum here in Sacramento and stress the "ATGATT" mentality. You are right that we do hold RC in high regards that's why it didn't sit well with me with what he said. Btw, just because something isn't necessary, doesn't make it a good idea NOT to do it. Seatbelts aren't necesarry until you need them in a crash. Same thing goes for safety gear. I see fault in your logic. Just like helmets are not required in some states, doesn't mean it's a good idea not to wear them, see my point?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Btw, just because something isn't necessary, doesn't make it a good idea NOT to do it. Seatbelts aren't necesarry until you need them in a crash. Same thing goes for safety gear. I see fault in your logic. Just like helmets are not required in some states, doesn't mean it's a good idea not to wear them, see my point?

You have misinterpreted my statement, your comparison is not the same. I said that that there are two piece gear available in replace of the one piece for riding around town. This is not the same as wearing a helmet and not wearing one.

Although I do not personally own a one piece, for those riders who do have both types of gear, there are reasons or some logic to why they choose to wear their two piece over their one piece.

I'm glad you take such a strong stand about safety gear and your GF is very lucky to have you to show her the proper way to introducing her the world of motorcycling as an operator. Passengers make great riders!

Have you ever considered becoming a RC?

outdoorsman

Lets ride!
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't make my point clear in my original post, this particular RC was implying that full gear (whether one pieve or two piece) was not necessary because he only ride around with just a jacket. My point is, regardless of what his intentions were or what he meant, she felt discouraged by what he said about gear.

Maybe someday when I have time, I would definitely be an RC and preach safety gear. Until then, I'll just voice my concerns on the forums.

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Back on topic:

You don't need to spend a ridiculous amount in gear unless you are buying high-end brand equipment like SHOEI.

I bought all my gear and even a bluetooth headset, backpack, and alarm from Cycle Gear for $560. That included a full jacket, full fingered gloves with knuckle protection and a helmet :)

Only thing I didn't buy was riding pants.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ooo.. a thread revival!

Now that I've been coaching for 2.5 months, let me add my thoughts:

I absolutely tell all my students to wear proper gear in the real world, BUT.. I can't wear my riding gear when I coach for several reasons.
1. If it's 95 degrees out and humid, there's no way I can wear my riding jacket/pants/boots and stand in the sun for 7-8 hours.. I would die!
2. I cannot wear my riding boots in any weather for purposes of standing and walking for 7-8 hours. I have to wear something comfortable (if it's hot out and no chance of rain, I wear high tops and if it's cooler or raining, I wear hiking boots).

As mentioned above.. we never go over 20 on the range and it's a controlled environment (I'm pretty confident I'm not going to have a run-in with a cager :D ) ... once again, I tell all the students that I only wear this *relaxed* outfit on the range and would never ride like that in the real world. They also see me ride up in full gear so I sincerely hope it registers with them how important real gear is.

As for cost.. yeah.. it does not need to be astronomical. Can easily get full quality gear set for under $1k (~ $100-150 helmet, $120 jacket, $100 pants, $100 boots, $60 gloves). Expensive gear does not necessarily equals better protection.

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Erci,
I like your post. I do find it interesting.

I think I would wear light mesh gear with padding to class and would be ok during class in that, maybe taking the coat off when not riding.

Regarding boots, I have the same kind of issue. Still, some of the touring boots might be walking friendly enough, right?

Just asking/

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I just say, how much I love this forum and its members, and the fact that this post exists in the first place.

I have yet to find an FZ6 rider that I don't like and identify with. :)

Thinking back to my MSF BRC class, I recall that both instructors wore jeans, one (the woman) I believe had some sort of jacket, but the man wore a long sleeve shirt. He had a modular helmet (flip-up, full face to 3/4 face) as I remember. They both wore hiking boots.

They mentioned, but didn't *stress* the importance of full riding gear, and certainly not anything like "all the gear, all the time".

I remember there was one young woman in our class. During one session, it came up what kind of bikes everyone wanted to buy. I asked her and she said "A Gixxer 1000." I said, "Wow, straight for the jugular, huh?" She replied "Yeah, why waste your time?" I wonder how she fared, sometimes.

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
My GMax GM54 helmet was under $150. My Cortech Journey WinterGloves were under $40. My XElement jacket I'm told was under $100. My pants that I am returning were under $80 bucks. Although the ones I will replace them with look to be about $120. So yeah...you can get good protection for around $500 or less if you try and if you look hard enough. It also depends on what you buy and when. Things are cheaper in the winter time. ;-)